Ever wanted to fly a capitol ship?

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
Ever wanted to fly a capitol ship?

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:08 pm

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/boar ... e.id=21790

Click the link withen the link above and it will direct you to a SWG convention. The screaming in the background makes it hard to hear things, but the movice itself shows that flying capitol ships seems to be a go.

Also, apparently Hoth is being added as a PvP only planet.

Xan

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:08 am

omfg finally! I was wondering when they were going to add Hoth too, It's one of the most famous locales. But why pvp only, no fun in that.... That screws over the pve ppl like me.

Capital ships...all I can say is...i have a KSE firespray, i have general greivous' ship...I'll probably wind up with a capitol ship somehow...and im 1/1/1/1...man i need to get crackin or they will be releasing useable Death Star deeds on the community before I hit master! :shock:

So what does this mean? Expansion? Big Patch?

Xan

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:11 am

too bad you can't fly a Star Destroyer.... I would so just go Kung Fu mode on Darth Vader, mount his head on a plaque on the bow of the ship...and hijack the Destroyer...

Xan

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:14 am

oh read up on the forum posts...it is an expansion....in 6 god damn months...gah(goes to play Planetside for 6 months)

Oh and it looks like we can't KEEP the capital ships, just take them to a location for a quest/mission.

Then again. Both those statements i just made in this post are rumors and nothing more

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:37 pm

xan why would you want to mount Lord Vaders head on a plack he would so kick your ass anyway :twisted:

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 pm

Yeah, 6 months is too long for me to wait, but I am not sure if thats even an official word :P

For all we know, whos to say there wont be ISD Star Destroyers (the smaller version)? I doubt it, but I'd be happy with a correllian corvette.

As for Hoth as a PvP only planet, there still may be hope for non-PvP'ers. This stuff is newly mentioned, so lots will be changing.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:36 am

You are referring to Victory Class Star Destroyers Lexx. It is unlikely that you will see any ships that size in game that can be controlled directly by players. I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything larger than a corvette or small frigate.

As for why these large ships won't be controlled by players (and why they are hardly in the game as it is) comes down to performance. From what I have heard, the only ISD in space is large enough that it takes up a lot of space in the sector (and I do mean alot). Then again, this was what I heard not long after the space expansion was released.

There are also framerate issues to go along with the size issue. The ISD model is simply too detailed to have more than one in the same sector. Just take a look at it and you'll see what I mean. The ISD model is one of the most detailed models of an ISD that I have ever seen, but people pay the price on their framerate when they look at it. It isn't bad when there aren't many players in the same sector as the ISD, but the more players in there, the larger the performance hit. It's like being in front of the C-net starport during peak playing hours. (I can attest to that one after the space beta).

As for why I don't think anything larger than a corvette will be seen, I think that the large capital ships are just too big for the limits of the game. The sectors are just too tiny for such large vessels. Can this be fixed? Possibly. I know on the ground game, the planets are stretched across the servers (i.e. server boundaries), but I have no clue if they do this with the space sectors. If they already do this with space, perhaps it is possible to make the sectors larger by adding some more servers. I'm guessing though. Another alternative would be to make more space sectors, but only make them accessible from one of the main sectors.

Of course, we know Corellian Corvettes and Nebulon-B Frigates are in the game, so I would imagine they could give players control of them in some manner. Anything larger than that and the devs will have to start worrying about big performance issues.

Those are my thoughts on it all. Think what you wish. I might be wrong on a few things though, but only because I don't play SWG anymore.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Quite true, star destroyers take up almost an entire sector... imagine more of one of them, and the FPS.

What I find funny (may be a little off topic), is that sectors in SWG are only 12 kilometers. Ships in SWG take like 10 minutes to get from one side of the sector to the other, while the space shuttle in RL can travel 12 kilometers in like 0.09 seconds :lol:

Back to the main topic, I'd be quite happy with a correllia corvette. I'll take what I can get.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:01 pm

LexxYovel wrote:What I find funny (may be a little off topic), is that sectors in SWG are only 12 kilometers. Ships in SWG take like 10 minutes to get from one side of the sector to the other, while the space shuttle in RL can travel 12 kilometers in like 0.09 seconds :lol:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Kilometers in the SW universe are apparently quite different than kilometers in our universe.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:50 pm

:lol:

Suppose so.

Xan

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:27 pm

from what i read of the rumors they will be pilotable only for missions. Not that you will be able to "own" them.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 am

Yeah, in the movie we merely saw a quest where you could fly them. So again, this is all assumptions. But you can imagine how mad the fans would be if the Devs were just teasing them in a quest.

Xan

Post by Xan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:31 pm

It doesnt matter if the fans are mad.

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:26 am

:( i want a SSD or a VCSD

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:16 pm

Here is an improved video of the capitol ships. It's more clear, bigger, and doesn't have fans screaming in the background:

http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/pat ... G_FF_5.wmv