Multimedia Authoring Project Download!!! (Updated Link)

A place for forum users to meet and greet the members of RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel
Multimedia Authoring Project Download!!! (Updated Link)

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 7:49 pm

Here is the link to my project. It is one big huge ZIP file. Please let me know if the link works.

https://www.ibackup.com/qmanager/servle ... zulh851778

To download, click the link called Final_Project_Complete.zip. The file is 189MB in size, so it might take a while for you to download. You will probably want to extract all the files into their own folder on your hard drive before running the presentation, otherwise you may get errors while viewing the presentation.

Inside the ZIP file is a file called SWG_Guide.exe. Double click on that exe file to run my program. I have scanned the whole folder for viruses, but feel free to do so yourself.

There are a few known issues with the project (nothing major though). I'll post the README in a few minutes.

Also, when viewing the presentation there are several QuickTime movies scattered throughout. If you get an error asking for the location of the movie, all movies are found in the same directory as the exe file. You shouldn't have this issue, but if you do please let me know.

One more thing. I am limited to 20 downloads for the file. After 20 downloads I will have to re-share the file.

Oh yeah, let me know what you think. And don't forget to turn your speakers on.

(I do ask that you do not redistribute this file. I am sharing it as a favor to RID. This is a project that I spent close to 100 hours working on, so I'd appreciate it if you would keep this file on your hard drive and your hard drive only. Thank you.)
Last edited by Kurke_Aumea on Wed May 04, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 8:41 pm

Nice idea!

So what is it about, exactly?

bizob

Post by bizob » Wed May 04, 2005 8:55 pm

waiting for download. its going kinda slow, only like 1/2 a meg per sec. not unusual for a free service to have limited bandwidth tho. boy im an impatient person aint i?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 8:55 pm

I made a basic guide to SWG that is fully interactive with videos and cascading menus and music and a few other fireworks. It's very informational, but it is pretty basic. It covers the 10 planets you can explore, the first 8 playable species, the 6 starting professions, player cities, the GCW, and a few other things.

Ideally, such a product would be used to entice potential gamers to purchase the game. Personally, I think it is a cool little program (OK, I'm a little biased too... lol). Of course, when I showed off the presentation to my class, there were quite a few "ooo's" and "ahhh's". A few people mentioned that after seeing parts of the presentation the wanted to go play the game (and please note that no one else in my class plays SWG).

I showed the presentation to I think about 20 people. If I could get say 2 to 5 people to purchase the game, then I more than accomplished what I set out to do with the pressentation. I know, 2 to 5 people out of 20 may not seem like a lot of people, but imagine if you included this presentation as part of a magazine special or download on the SWG website or as part of the Episode III release on DVD in the fall. You give yourself a much broader audience to advertise to. For instance, say you have 500,000 people view this presentation. If on average you can get only 10% of viewers to purchase SWG, out of that 500,000 you will get 50,000 new gamers.

Am I being realistic??? Yes and no. Yes because such an advertising tool would prove rather useful in getting the word out about SWG. Businesses and universities use presentations such as this to entice potential customers or students. No because even if I did work for SOE, I would never release this project in it's current state. I think it is a great presentation, but it isn't fleshed out enough (and has a few bugs, though less than SWG... lol) to release to the public in an advertising sense.

Right now I am hoping that I can use this presentation as part of my resume. If I can present it to an employer who might enjoy such a product, it will help me get that job.

OK, enough of my babbling.... Just go download the file!!!! lol :D

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 8:58 pm

bizob wrote:waiting for download. its going kinda slow, only like 1/2 a meg per sec. not unusual for a free service to have limited bandwidth tho. boy im an impatient person aint i?

It doesn't help that it is almost 190MB either... lol. Of course, the site is only free for 15 days before they start charging me. If it is any consolation, I am currently downloading a copy of Linux.... scheduled completion time for me is 1 day and 5 hours from now....

bizob

Post by bizob » Wed May 04, 2005 9:01 pm

hmm. downloaded the file but wheni go to decompress i get an error about 1.4 way thru. maybe bad download im gonna try again

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 pm

*crosses fingers for just a bad download*

The good news is that it downloads quicker than it uploads.
Last edited by Kurke_Aumea on Wed May 04, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bizob

Post by bizob » Wed May 04, 2005 9:04 pm

[quote="Kurke_Aumea]I am currently downloading a copy of Linux.... [/quote]

What flavor?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:05 pm

bizob wrote:[quote="Kurke_Aumea]I am currently downloading a copy of Linux....

What flavor?[/quote]

Redhat I believe.

bizob

Post by bizob » Wed May 04, 2005 9:08 pm

ahh good ol' redhat. good version of Linux, stable, good features and who dont love the penguin :)

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Here is the Readme text file. All known issues that I have found are listed in the Readme.

Code: Select all

Star Wars Galaxies Guide

© 2005 Kurt Ketcham.  All rights reserved.
All other trademarks and copyrights materials are properties of their respective owners.

Description:
This is a basic interactive guide for the game Star Wars Galaxies.  Users can expect to find basic information about Star Wars Galaxies within a fully interactive interface.  Keep in mind that this is an ongoing project, so parts of the guide may be missing, incomplete, or not fully working.

System Requirements:
Microsoft Windows 9X/XP
500MHz Intel based processor
64MB RAM
32MB Video Card
8X CD-ROM

Known Issues:
-Computer systems with a processor slower than 500MHz and/or less than 128MB of RAM may experience problems when reading the CD.

-Computer systems with a processor slower than 1GHz, less than 256MB of RAM, and/or a CD-ROM drive slower than 16X  may experience periods of slow response times during the presentation.  To rememdy, attempt to copy the contents of the CD to a location on the hard drive before running the presentation.

-The Introduction section of the presentation sometimes becomes slow and unresponsive when playing the video trailer.

-Several sections do not have fade-outs.

-There are two Windows Media Video files that are in the presentation.  Neither of these files have playback controls within the movie.

-There are several QuickTime movies within the presentation.  These will not play unless the QuickTime player is installed on the local computer.  To remedy, run the QuickTime Player installer located on the CD labeled QuickTimeFullInstaller.exe.

-There is a known sound issue when viewing the video trailers within the presentation.  Upon opening the trailers, the background music will fade-out.  Once the trailer is complete, the background music will fade-in.  If the background music changes tracks during the video playback, then the sound will fade-in during the video playback.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:10 pm

bizob wrote:ahh good ol' redhat. good version of Linux, stable, good features and who dont love the penguin :)

You should see this pic of the penguin I found. It was for the Linux server edition of the Desert Combat mod for BF1942. It is the penguin wearing a cammo helmet while holding an M-16.... hehehe....

OK, back on topic. :P

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:12 pm

bizob wrote:hmm. downloaded the file but wheni go to decompress i get an error about 1.4 way thru. maybe bad download im gonna try again

Bloody hell... I just downloaded it and got an error as well. Check the file size of your file. If it is under 189MB, then it is probably a bad download. I'm gonna try uploading the file again. You can continue to try to download from the link while I upload the new file.

bizob

Post by bizob » Wed May 04, 2005 9:13 pm

lol
well sry buddy no go on that file. might have gotten corupted when u uploaded. what did u use to compress the files?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed May 04, 2005 9:16 pm

WinRAR... it just happened to be the zip program I have on my computer right now. I believe it just got corrupted during the upload though, as the local copy of the zip file works fine.