Wrath

A place for members to share useful information with one another.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm surprised I didn't see this post before. Two years ago before I left for Iraq I had hell of a time with my computer. I think it was months before I finally realized the motherboard was bad. I tried everything imaginable but it kept crashing. Sometimes the OS wouldn't load. Sometimes it wouldn't even post. I think I might have cracked the motherboard when I installed it...

I would lend some of my expertise but really I'd have to be there to be of any use. And then again I'd probably spend half my time searching forums for answers. haha My friends come to for help with their computers, and usually the first thing I do is jump on Google. Those punks don't even bother looking.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

yeah i mainly use google, all my computers come up with a motherboard fail somewheres. i'm gonna get a new computer by the end of next month anyway. :)
Apathy is Death.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm

hmmm...well my computer kept crashing like suddenly BOOM and nothing. wouldn't start up so let it 'cool down' then it would start right up, be good for a bit then 'BOOM' again...so i switched out the psu...and it seems to be working fine right now?

i tried logging on SWG, it worked but i loaded at coronet by the meat lumps, and there was lag, so i wasn't sure if the static coming from speakers was from that, so i closed anyway...too laggy to play. might put the video card back in and test it...
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Don't forget to make sure you have enough thermal compound between your processor and heatsink. But yah, sounding a lot like a mobo.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:03 pm

gonna try reinstalling the 256mb video card and see if it works now that i've switched out the power supply unit. my computer hasn't experienced a crash all day since i changed out the psu. i also disabled all of the programs that auto-launch on startup, which could have caused some of the problems.

i watched a full episode of 24 streaming off myspace, not a sign of static.

i load SWG, and it's very laggy, and i get static, but it's not as bad as it was, it doesn't completely drown out the sound effects, so it could be from the lag.

going to reinstall the video card drivers now and hopefully i'll be back in the game.

well it seems to work now, only there's ton of lag for some reason...so eh...dammit. going to try plugging directly to modem.

still didn't fix it....checking for spyware.

various spyware removed. nothing really happened. =\ it's still laggy. i'm gettin framerate of 5, then it goes to 15, then 28, then 30, then back to 5 again.

decided to try another game, empire at war. that worked fine. so i think it's something to do with all the free character transfers to starsider...then again, it's probably just my luck.
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Did you try a planet other than Tatooine?

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:22 pm

corellia and talus
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Kioet wrote:corellia and talus

I'm out of ideas lol. I recommend talking to Arramen. He doesn't check the forums often though.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:09 pm

FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had to set the resolution to my monitor and at 60hz or whatever. now it works great!
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Kioet wrote:FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had to set the resolution to my monitor and at 60hz or whatever. now it works great!

rofl, that's great! What was it set at?

SkyeLine

Post by SkyeLine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:03 am

I just had to upgrade my graphics card because I fried my last one. Hehe should have seen the image on my computer after the card was done burning :P At least now my swg looks flawless hehe.

I have been building my own pcs for years, with my profession it makes a lot more sense (I am a software engineer). Plus it is almost always cheaper imho. Newegg and Tigerdirect ftw ;)

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:04 am

Bovive wrote:
Kioet wrote:FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl, that's great! What was it set at?

it was at like 75 mhz or something lmao
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 am

SkyeLine wrote:I just had to upgrade my graphics card because I fried my last one. Hehe should have seen the image on my computer after the card was done burning :P At least now my swg looks flawless hehe.

I have been building my own pcs for years, with my profession it makes a lot more sense (I am a software engineer). Plus it is almost always cheaper imho. Newegg and Tigerdirect ftw ;)

QFE

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 pm

jinxed ftl. :(

it's doing the same thing it did yesterday...at this point i'm just gonna give up and blame SOE.
Apathy is Death.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 pm

Kioet wrote:jinxed ftl. :(

it's doing the same thing it did yesterday...at this point i'm just gonna give up and blame SOE.

I still say talk to Arramen