Plans on Moving onto SWGemu?

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Sawyilartia
Plans on Moving onto SWGemu?

Post by Sawyilartia » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:26 pm

As SOME of you know, SWGEMU is almost done, 2 years is probably the
max, and I was wondering if this will move onto SWGemu?

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:01 am

I just tried out the Core 3 test server and was extremely disappointed. Although they did a good job for working for free, there really is no true content. Hardly any of the NPCs even talk to you. Also from what I understand the crafting system needs a lot of work. Personally I like the NGE, so my next step will be SWTOR.

Sahar

Post by Sahar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:01 am

ill probably play the EMU when i want my doc/TKA fix. but im going to stick to regular swg, and like bovive said, when SWTOR comes out, that too.

RettVescan
Staff Sergeant

Post by RettVescan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:11 pm

Bovive wrote:Although they did a good job for working for free, there really is no true content.

People seem to forget that pre-cu had no content. There were no quests, only 3 themeparks (imp, jabba, and rebel). The only thing to do was roleplay or grind. I amuse myself on the SOE forums when people always say that NGE has no content and the game should go back to pre-cu.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 pm

RettVescan wrote:
Bovive wrote:Although they did a good job for working for free, there really is no true content.

People seem to forget that pre-cu had no content. There were no quests, only 3 themeparks (imp, jabba, and rebel). The only thing to do was roleplay or grind. I amuse myself on the SOE forums when people always say that NGE has no content and the game should go back to pre-cu.

"Content" means different things to different people. For some, content means phat lewtz; for others, it means to have the tools to create your own adventures via sand box element. To be specific, "content" for a PvPer would be the inclusion of a PvP system that affects many aspects of the game.

Also, the Pre-CU game did have quests, they were just few and far between. Most of them still exist to this day, but are hardly played or inquired about.

In conclusion, much to learn you still have, my young Padawan.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am

Dunno, I have to agree with Rett, there was very little content. But yes, while content can be defined in multiple ways, the same content that was in Pre-NGE exists today, even in greater form.

Creature Handler was removed during the NGE, but we got that back as a Beast Mastery expertise. Camps were removed, but we got those back. All forms of diversity were removed, but we at least got expertise trees. Aside from that, even more tools for roleplaying, such as storyteller props have been added. That to me improves the "sandbox" element to me. People can still seek out valuable loot, and quests have been added or improved. Pre-NGE, even the Imperial themepark was pretty weak. The NGE broke several quests, such as the Darklighter quest, but we got those back. Unfortunately, I'd still like to see the Valarian quest fixed...

I think when people look back upon Pre-NGE, they miss the amount of people there were. However, I will admit that there are other things that made Pre-NGE special, such as the viability of medical centers. I remember them being flooded with patients looking for medical attention. Also, I think the greatest fault of the NGE, was what a slap in the face it was to Jedi. The fact that the Aurillian village got removed made their grind utterly useless. At least though, we have Aurillia back, albeit in a radically different form.

Other than that, it was really the "newness" and high population of the game that people seem to look back upon fondly. Because honestly, what else was there? 30 broken professions? There were still FOTM's and overpowered professions set-ups. PvP was definitely plentiful in different areas of the galaxy, but it was by no means awarded anything. It was the population which chose to have those random battles between Bestine and Anchorhead. Also, people were complaining in droves on the forums during Pre-NGE, and were even begging for a combat upgrade. NGE was certainly not the right choice, but the population was dwindling, and they *thought* the NGE would stop that decline (they thought wrong). However, today, I think the NGE has ended, as much of what existed before, exits now. Plus the current incarnation of the game has been in existance longer than any other system in SWG.

Hopefully with the influx of new players coming to Starsider during the free character transfer, we will at least have the same feeling of a high population we had Pre-NGE. Maybe then we can see sporadic PvP in different planets, more cantinas filled, and more events formed.
Last edited by Lexx Yovel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 am

I found a picture of Lexx's Pre-CU armor that he still wears today:

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am

Lol, I'll have you know Bovive that my paper armor wasn't obtainable Pre-CU!

It was made of padding.

Tenvik

Post by Tenvik » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 am

OMG Bovive I laughed my ass off

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:25 pm

lol details details. Now logon Lexx so I can place a Diner in Fort Oasis :P

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:16 pm

You got the diner? :o

I'll find a place for you to put it today :D

I was even thinking of putting a diner where the mall currently is instead.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Yup sure do. Tenvik actually gave it to me! I'm gonna temp set it down outside Fort Oasis and I'll pack it up when you are ready. That way I can decorate it :)