...And thanks for all the fish

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Mikal
Second Lieutenant
...And thanks for all the fish

Post by Mikal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 am

It is with great sadness that I must announce that I will not be returning to SWG. I went on vacation last week and before I left, unplugged my computer. When I returned (after plugging it back in of course), it wouldn't boot up. Tried everything, looks like the powersupply spiked when it first came on and fried the mo-board. I have a new computer now, but with the extremely long download time of 26.4k on dialup, I have decided against redownloading and patching the game.
I had a lot of fun with RID during my stay here. We went through some rough times, went through some pretty fun times. But all in all I think that this was the best guild experiance I've had since my days in the Fishing Council of Britannia back in UO.
I look forward to seeing those of you who play TOR when it comes out, as I will probably Beta it. If I do end up in Beta rest assured I'll give you guys as much info as I'm allowed to (stupid NonDisclosure Agreements). Until then, keep up the great fight, and good luck!

-Mikal "Chemical Mike" Zaitzev, Flashlight, Ro'Bin Zaitzev, Joniele Zaitzev

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 am

It's a shame to see you go Mikal :(

I'll be sending a notice in-game to those who don't read these boards often.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Sorry to see you go!

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Mikal, if all you've done was fry the motherboard, take your old hard drive and stick it in your new computer. If your old hard drive is healthy you should be able to stick it into the new computer without any issues. The wrost issues you'll have is matching drivers and Windows getting finicky about hardware changes... (and a quick, automated call to Microsoft can fix that last part)

Use your old hard drive as the master and your new one as the slave. This way, you get to keep on playing SWG and get all of your old files and things back.
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm

I used to do something like that. A long time ago my desktop would not update SWG for some reason, so I updated on my laptop and then copied and pasted the SWG directory to my desktop. It worked well, I would think you could transfer the files. Were you playing on a 28.8 before tho?

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Yeah, I was playing on it before, but I was using a laptop for a long time. After it finally died, I brought my desktop to school in New Orleans to have them work on it and updated from there.

As far as the slave/master thing, I haven't opened this new one up yet, but it is one of those small form factor computers, meaning that there isn't much room, and the little bit that is there is took up by specialized parts. If I can get things to work I may be able to come back, but for now I'm not resubing. I made the post cause lately I just haven't felt like cracking the seal on this thing until I get my ram card in that I have on order (next day or so it should be here, another 2 gigs worth). This thing won't even hold my graphics card, cause it is to tall lol. That is the problem with these things, but for 300 bucks I couldn't pass it up when I needed one bad for my sidejobs that I do (3D graphics).

I'll keep working on it, but if I can't get info to transfer, that's it, I'm done, cause it would take me 2-3 WEEKS at least to download everything, and that is if I don't get disconnected at all or use the internet for anything.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:55 am

Mikal wrote:Yeah, I was playing on it before, but I was using a laptop for a long time. After it finally died, I brought my desktop to school in New Orleans to have them work on it and updated from there.

As far as the slave/master thing, I haven't opened this new one up yet, but it is one of those small form factor computers, meaning that there isn't much room, and the little bit that is there is took up by specialized parts. If I can get things to work I may be able to come back, but for now I'm not resubing. I made the post cause lately I just haven't felt like cracking the seal on this thing until I get my ram card in that I have on order (next day or so it should be here, another 2 gigs worth). This thing won't even hold my graphics card, cause it is to tall lol. That is the problem with these things, but for 300 bucks I couldn't pass it up when I needed one bad for my sidejobs that I do (3D graphics).

I'll keep working on it, but if I can't get info to transfer, that's it, I'm done, cause it would take me 2-3 WEEKS at least to download everything, and that is if I don't get disconnected at all or use the internet for anything.

3d graphics with a bad graphics card? :shock:

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:57 am

yah kinda weird huh. Sounds like you need a bigger case!

Erougn
Captain

Post by Erougn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:10 pm

DAMMIT!!!!

PM me your im info so we can stay in touch!

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 pm

The internal graphics card on this thing is a GEFORCE 6150SE nForce 430 with 512MB of memory. For running 3DS Max and photoshop it isn't too bad. Maya slows it down a bit, but it still runs pretty decent. Helps when you have 4 gigs of RAM though...need to get me a bit more...still at 1 lol. The reason that the comp just isn't working for SWG isn't the comp...its the damn download...and E...info sent.