Communication/Assistance

A place for the Regal Executive Council to share and vote on confidential issues.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
Communication/Assistance

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Shiftie touched upon it in the post he made (which by the way you should read), but I want to make it a seperate topic.

Basically, Shiftie and I were talking and we think there are issues concerning the guild that we need to address. Maris-brood left the guild because she felt no one wanted to help her, and that she felt unnoticed. She tells Shiftie that he was the only one who was ever a help to her, and that she would be joining her husbands guild.

We also now have another member, Inconcensus (sp?) who has concerns about helpfulness in the guild. Shiftie and I plan to talk to her for clarification.

I don't know what the major issue is, but I'm guessing when they ask for help in a group or something they simply get ignored. One problem may be not many members know the person. I noticed that whenever a "close buddy" asks for help they usually get pretty quick assistance. So I think a major concern is ensuring everyone knows everybody.

Also, some people may not use guild chat a lot, and many more people seldom use the forums. Before I go to college (on the 20th) I intend to form yet another guild meeting to discuss communication, helpfulness and the possibility of a new division structure (see Shiftie's post for that).

I really want people to get friggen registered on these forums and use them at least somewhat frequently... it's not difficult at all and only takes a few seconds. In fact before we even recruit members into the guild, I'm seriously considering making them register on our forums to make a "hello" post. It's just forum usage strengthens the "community feel" of a guild and it allows people to read up on groups, and events while outside the game. But the socialization is the most important aspect. I'm also going to make a push to encourage members to use the in-game voice chat... and yes, even I will be using it very soon. I plan on finally hooking up a mic, although you may hear me more when I get settled in college.

Anyways, Shiftie may have something extra to say, and everyone else can comment/offer suggestions.

Apium
Colonel

Re: Communication/Assistance

Post by Apium » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:23 am

LexxYovel wrote:I really want people to get friggen registered on these forums and use them at least somewhat frequently... it's not difficult at all and only takes a few seconds. In fact before we even recruit members into the guild, I'm seriously considering making them register on our forums to make a "hello" post. It's just forum usage strengthens the "community feel" of a guild and it allows people to read up on groups, and events while outside the game. But the socialization is the most important aspect. I'm also going to make a push to encourage members to use the in-game voice chat... and yes, even I will be using it very soon. I plan on finally hooking up a mic, although you may hear me more when I get settled in college.

Anyways, Shiftie may have something extra to say, and everyone else can comment/offer suggestions.

I agree, IMPHL makes their recruits submit their applications via the forums before they can join and IMPHL's forums are much more active than ours. I'm not saying we should do our applications like that, but recruits should definitely be required to make a post on our forums. Its a great way to be introduced to the guild and its members before actually joining. People are much more likely to remember a "hello" thread over a generic "guild member accepted" holomail.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Shiftie

Post by Shiftie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:15 am

Apium wrote:
LexxYovel wrote:I really want people to get friggen registered on these forums and use them at least somewhat frequently... it's not difficult at all and only takes a few seconds. In fact before we even recruit members into the guild, I'm seriously considering making them register on our forums to make a "hello" post. It's just forum usage strengthens the "community feel" of a guild and it allows people to read up on groups, and events while outside the game. But the socialization is the most important aspect. I'm also going to make a push to encourage members to use the in-game voice chat... and yes, even I will be using it very soon. I plan on finally hooking up a mic, although you may hear me more when I get settled in college.

I agree, IMPHL makes their recruits submit their applications via the forums before they can join and IMPHL's forums are much more active than ours. I'm not saying we should do our applications like that, but recruits should definitely be required to make a post on our forums. Its a great way to be introduced to the guild and its members before actually joining. People are much more likely to remember a "hello" thread over a generic "guild member accepted" holomail.

Thats a great idea. I think we should lean more toward something like that. I myself need to start using the forums a little more but im usually in game lol.

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Shiftie wrote:
Apium wrote:

Thats a great idea. I think we should lean more toward something like that. I myself need to start using the forums a little more but im usually in game lol.

of course, being ingame doesn't mean you can't surf the net...didn't they add a browser? hehehehehe.

Shiftie

Post by Shiftie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 am

i try my best to stay off that thing! its horrible! lol

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am

this is one of the reasons why i said we should have weekly guild meetings, this way people can get to know each other better. i'll be resubbing next month or near the end of august. and perhaps for recruiting, if someone wants in the guild, they gotta attend the guild meeting or at least 2 group events (instances, pvp, loot hunts, etc)
Apathy is Death.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Great to hear you'll be resubbing!

Weekly guild meetings seem like an interesting concept, but I just worry we'd quickly run out of things to talk about. I think one or two meetings a month would suffice, but have weekly convocations for racings, duelings, and entertainment in Fort Oasis or one of our other cities... to promote citizenship there as well.

It would seem reasonable to require new recruits to attend at least one guild activity, whether it be a group for PvP, heroics, space, parties or meetings.

Ihip

Post by Ihip » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Space has turned into a whinefest all the time... If anyone wants to read what I have to say about it, feel free to PM me with the question and I'll reply...

Back on topic

Everyone knows what Ventrilo is (if you don't, you fail... that's it lol). I started playing in space... wow... Since the middle of Chapter 1 O.o waaaaay back on Ahazi. For every event, we'd use Ventrilo. It is very important to keep everyone on the same page. I know I talked to shiftie briefly about this issue during the EK run I went on where we were the only two talking of the group of 8 (in the ingame voice thing that annoys me sometimes...). We really need more voice communication during group activities (general chat... not important) such as instances, and space events (try going without vent for one of those lol... really hard to know what's going on). Voice comms need to be used more.

I am usually not watching guildchat. I am in SFC (the pilot chat channel) until nobody has said anything for a while then I'll check guildchat. Most of the time I have some music on and I'm looting in space or doing instances or something that occupies my time. I know that I haven't seen anyone ask for help in space for at least a month, which is pretty much all I do well in this game.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 pm

how often do we run mission terminals for resources?
Apathy is Death.