Is SWG still worth it?

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Well, after playing SWG for an evening, I definitely have a reinvigorated opinion about it. It still has some of its trademark flaws and some of the things that changed since I last played are a little... odd. However, I find the new system a little more straightforward, though just as daunting as before. Then again, I chose to be a trader (old habits die hard) and I do enjoy the experience despite the uphill challenge. Something tells me that being a trader has to be one of the hardest things to progress through compared to being someone who is combat oriented...

I did happen to stop by Fort Oasis before going to bed last night. Good to see its just as organized and social as it was when I left. A special thanks goes out to Erougn for getting me back into RID. Now I'm left to wonder if I can come up with the cash to pay for this addiction again... Which considering I just increaed my car payment does not make this any easier... :(

I wonder if the fiance would mind if I got rid of cable TV and her favorite station, VH1...

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I dont think she would, but it's good to see your back :D

I hope to log on at 9, if not earlier. Crafting indeed difficult, especially the munitions route. Whatever you do, be sure to read the game guide forums and your respective profession forums. While it might not be as easy as before, it might be best to start as a structures trader, and then change over to whatever trader you'd like to be (I'm not sure which one you selected).

I think, since it's been so long, you should treat SWG as almost a completely new game.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:08 pm

None of the items traders can actually produce are worth anything. Traders get all of their money from business transactions, power ups, and attachments. (shipwrights may be able to make some money, but I did all of my shipwright work for free so I don't really know how the market is.)

Of the 1 billiion credits I made as a trader 250 million came from crafting +35 power ups and the other 750 million came from buying low and selling high.

I wish the devs would seriously look at the trader profession instead of just throwing stuff at traders to appease them. Levels 1-89 are completely broken and unless you have some rich friends it is nearly impossible to grind. The devs need to take a page from everquest's book. a level 5 crafter has competitive items he can sell for a profit. Its not that difficult to implement a similar system.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:18 pm

LexxYovel wrote:I dont think she would, but it's good to see your back :D

I hope to log on at 9, if not earlier. Crafting indeed difficult, especially the munitions route. Whatever you do, be sure to read the game guide forums and your respective profession forums. While it might not be as easy as before, it might be best to start as a structures trader, and then change over to whatever trader you'd like to be (I'm not sure which one you selected).

I think, since it's been so long, you should treat SWG as almost a completely new game.

I am treating it as a new game for the most part. There are some things that haven't changed much though (surveying, sampling, crafting, etc.) I am a structure trader atm though. At least traders can be mostly self sufficient for the most part. I can accumulate everything I need on my own without much help from others (in theory). It is troubling if i can't sell anything to players though. I used to make all my money on selling houses, harvestors, and other deeds...

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Kurke Aumea wrote:
LexxYovel wrote:I dont think she would, but it's good to see your back :D

I am treating it as a new game for the most part. There are some things that haven't changed much though (surveying, sampling, crafting, etc.) I am a structure trader atm though. At least traders can be mostly self sufficient for the most part. I can accumulate everything I need on my own without much help from others (in theory). It is troubling if i can't sell anything to players though. I used to make all my money on selling houses, harvestors, and other deeds...

The game is so top heavy only the products of the wealthy level 90 traders are purchased. I mean I did manage to sell three or four harvestors. Even with all the money I had I was never able to really break into the market. There are some gaps in the market that could be penetrated though. If you stick around for a little while maybe we will be able to team up and do that.

You don't know Riggs Blaston but he had an amazing shop outside of Mos Eisley. He made billions selling crafted space parts. The reason for his sucess was accessibility. It was so easy to go in and buy everything one needed without spending hours using vendor search. Anyways, he wasn't able to keep up and his shop died. I wanted to fill that gap when I played, but I never had the manpower or resources to do it.

Kalice- Master Architect

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Well you can count on me to keep the small tatooinian housing market up. Like Apium said, traders need some improvement. The problem is many of the best items are those that can be looted or recieved as quest rewards.

I'm sure it'll be possible to find your niche though.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

We desperately need a trader's guild to make some laws. This kind of competition is unhealthy.

Kalice- Master Architect

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Ermm anyone a medic?
i need to know what changes the Dev's have made...thinking of going back for a month or two :o :o ...

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Dragonus wrote:Ermm anyone a medic?
i need to know what changes the Dev's have made...thinking of going back for a month or two :o :o ...

I'm a medic and not much has changed since I left in november. Medics aren't very good at solo play both pve and pvp. Some heals were added, but as far as self healing in pvp goes not much has changed. If you were good at healing before the changes you will still be good now. Basically, medic has been made a support profession as it should be. Then again, I can't remember how long you have been away, so a lot more may have changed.

Kalice- Master Architect

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Apium wrote:
Dragonus wrote:Ermm anyone a medic?

I'm a medic and not much has changed since I left in november. Medics aren't very good at solo play both pve and pvp. Some heals were added, but as far as self healing in pvp goes not much has changed. If you were good at healing before the changes you will still be good now. Basically, medic has been made a support profession as it should be. Then again, I can't remember how long you have been away, so a lot more may have changed.

heh i left at the end of june last year...the only reason i want to go back is to finish the medic suit i started. but from what ive read at the forums all those vital strike mods i put on my chest,shirt there are basically useless since dodge, and w/e else are the best mods for medics right now. i wish i could get that 22 days thing like last time so i could check out what has changed w/out paying :)

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:01 pm

If someone purchased the Complete Online Adventures (or whatever it's called...), couldn't you use the buddy key? Or is that for new accounts only? Even so, you could start up a new one temporarily to see if it's worth it.
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Kurke Aumea wrote:If someone purchased the Complete Online Adventures (or whatever it's called...), couldn't you use the buddy key? Or is that for new accounts only? Even so, you could start up a new one temporarily to see if it's worth it.

well i could use the trial but i wouldn't be able to get off the station? if I'm correct and i couldn't make a decision with just playing a lvl 3 medic...i think il install swg and have it there until i have a long enough break from school to check it out again

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Dragonus wrote:
Kurke Aumea wrote:If someone purchased the Complete Online Adventures (or whatever it's called...), couldn't you use the buddy key? Or is that for new accounts only? Even so, you could start up a new one temporarily to see if it's worth it.

well i could use the trial but i wouldn't be able to get off the station? if I'm correct and i couldn't make a decision with just playing a lvl 3 medic...i think il install swg and have it there until i have a long enough break from school to check it out again

you no longer have to stay on the station during the trial.

Kalice- Master Architect

Aerick-Fyonna

Post by Aerick-Fyonna » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:53 am

Also there is no such thing as a buddy key for SWG. The current promo is for a buddy token that you can give to the friend that introduced you to SWG once you convert your trial account to full version by paying one month sub. When you redeem the tokens you get credit towards the collection and a movie poster from the Ep.1-3 movies, culminating with the new BARC on the fourth.

Trial accounts have a limit on the amount of chat they can produce within a period of time, I don't recall the duration. Also there seems to be a limit on the amount of money you can possess. Trial is limited to original game, RotW and JtL so if you are starting fresh you will want to get the COA.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Aerick-Fyonna wrote:Trial accounts have a limit on the amount of chat they can produce within a period of time.

Tell me about it. The bitch is that I can't figure out how to actually convert my old toon from a trial to a regular account... I can enter a credit card, but it won't let me subscribe...
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now