The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:55 pm

Remember the rules about posting just to increase post counts?

DON'T DO IT!

Thank you.

As for the PS3 overheating, the only reports I have heard about that were just because the demo systems were in enclosed plastic cases that didn't get enough ventilation. It was similar to the 360 last year.

I showed my "gamer" friend the Wii controller and his reaction was WTF! I think he has the same sentiment as me. I'm too damn lazy to be swinging a controller around for a game. Let me be lazy and mash on buttons in peace. lol

I do think the fact that the Wii is graphically inferior will come back to haunt it at some point. Seriously, a kid stops in a store and looks at a 360 game like Gears of War and his jaw drops to the floor. He looks over at the PS3 display and sees Resistance and his eyes pop out of his head. Then he looks over at the Wii display and sees something that looks like it came off of a gamecube. Which do you think his first impulse is going to be? Yep, 360 or PS3. First impresions are everything.

Edit:
Found a review of Red Steel and it wasn't good...

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunc ... ck=topslot

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:52 pm

+1!!!!!!

yeah but all the people who play games religously are to lazy to move there whole arm thing and stuff and just wanna press buttons...

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 am

That controller is just ahead of its time IMO. If it could provide a more immersive setting (think Virtual Reality), then the controller would be really cool. For the moment, I'm still going with "novelty".

Anyways, I tried the Rainbox Six: Vegas demo and it is a very sweet mix of GRAW, Splinter Cell, and SOCOM. I was quite impressed with the visuals and the gameplay was very nice. I had it moved to the top of my Christmas list.

Oh yeah, Buckeyes rule and Wolverines drool!!! GO OSU!!!

OSU 42 - MICH 39

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 am

got bored in the middle of the game switched to that Temple at New Mexico state game and had more fun...

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:10 pm

ps3 going on fire??!?! nonsence look at its fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcoEA69M ... ed&search=

sexy on the inside

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:00 pm

the way those guys were laughing I have a feeling they have no idea what they are doing. My japanese isn't great, but i swear i heard "someone go get the hammer, i can't get this panel open"
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:01 pm

Dragonus wrote:ps3 going on fire??!?!

Apparently you missed this...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12290/The ... Station-3/

Yep, they turned it into a Goerge Foreman Grill.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Dragonus wrote:ps3 going on fire??!?!

Apparently you missed this...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12290/The ... Station-3/

Yep, they turned it into a Goerge Foreman Grill.

lmao, but can it still play? I want to grill and play ps3 at the same time.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:11 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that one. It's either fat-drained sausage and burgers or mediocre gaming. Not both. lol

And aside from the grill conversion, I haven't heard of a PS3 catching on fire. I've heard of a few getting a little warm, but what do you expect when something draws that much power??? Any rumors of a PS3 catching on fire are just that, rumors. Just like all the rumors about 360's catching on fire, they were just rumors.

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:28 pm

Apium wrote:the way those guys were laughing I have a feeling they have no idea what they are doing. My japanese isn't great, but i swear i heard "someone go get the hammer, i can't get this panel open"

lol well i didnt have my volume up. seems like they dont but w/e i opened my ps2 once to install this other case so i could play copy versions of the games and i had hard ass time screwing back the things damn thing wouldnt close right

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:26 pm

You know its time to re-evaluate your life when you care THAT much about how much heat a ps3 produces.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:48 am

While everyone here is arguing about overheating PS3s, I'm busy with the Wii.. last night I had a few friends over and had a blast playing Wii Sports.. one of them who was intent on getting a PS3 was converted over to Nintendo after playing, saying Wii Sports was probably the best game he's ever played and he wouldn't go back to old controllers after seeing what the system was capable of. Red Steel ended up getting mixed reviews. While some sites loved it (ngamer gave it 90/100 and Official UK Nintendo Magazine gave it a good rating as well, most other sites didn't like the controls). I likely won't get it.. I'm gonna hold off on any more games until I'm finished with Call of Duty 3, Zelda and Wii Sports. Madden 07 for Wii is actually the best version of the game this time around thanks to the controls, despite not having an online mode and inferior graphics, IGN scored it as high as the 360 version and higher than the PS3 version. The new Dragon Ball Z game for the Wii is considered the best of the series because the control requires actual skill rather than button mashing that was the focus of the game previously. You're not waving the controller around like an idiot. For the time being it does seem like the Wii controller is far from just a gimmick as it has made existing games more fun and by and large better to play.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:15 am

Ri'Me wrote:While everyone here is arguing about overheating PS3s, I'm busy with the Wii.. last night I had a few friends over and had a blast playing Wii Sports.. one of them who was intent on getting a PS3 was converted over to Nintendo after playing, saying Wii Sports was probably the best game he's ever played and he wouldn't go back to old controllers after seeing what the system was capable of. Red Steel ended up getting mixed reviews. While some sites loved it (ngamer gave it 90/100 and Official UK Nintendo Magazine gave it a good rating as well, most other sites didn't like the controls). I likely won't get it.. I'm gonna hold off on any more games until I'm finished with Call of Duty 3, Zelda and Wii Sports. Madden 07 for Wii is actually the best version of the game this time around thanks to the controls, despite not having an online mode and inferior graphics, IGN scored it as high as the 360 version and higher than the PS3 version. The new Dragon Ball Z game for the Wii is considered the best of the series because the control requires actual skill rather than button mashing that was the focus of the game previously. You're not waving the controller around like an idiot. For the time being it does seem like the Wii controller is far from just a gimmick as it has made existing games more fun and by and large better to play.

whats so funny abut that is the two versions are 99% identical lol

Kalice- Master Architect

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:46 am

The PS3 and 360 versions are identical.. the Wii version lets you snap the ball, throw it and break tackles with the controller itself just as you would in a real game of football, it has all the features of the PS3 and 360 versions plus added games that make use of the Wii remote. There's no online though.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 am

Apium wrote:whats so funny abut that is the two versions are 99% identical lol

I think most reviewers are disappointed that the PS3 version didn't out-do the 360 version, that's why it is getting scored so low. I mean, most PS3 games that are also on the 360 had an extra year for development and non of them really stand out above the 360 versions, begging people to wonder why get the PS3 version when the 360 is already out?