The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:03 pm

2100 GAT POST!!!!! W00T!!!!

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Dragonus wrote:OMGSSSSSSS

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/O ... ault2.aspx

sony games always on top

can anyone say cross between LOTR and dragonlance?
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:36 pm

none of that trailer looked like actual game play :\

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:47 am

looks to me like a rip off of dragonlance so yea i agree with u apium.

and no way the actual game is like that but yet again the trailers mostly never show proper gameplay.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:58 am

Jaysont wrote:looks to me like a rip off of dragonlance so yea i agree with u apium.

and no way the actual game is like that but yet again the trailers mostly never show proper gameplay.

Nope, not with Sony at least. I think they're trying to do what they did with FF VII and try to trick people into thinking the cutscenes are actual gameplay footage. That's how they were able to sell a bunch of playstations during that generation... most of the people who bought FF VII and playstation thinking the CG cutscenes were ig returned the game (but not the system) because they weren't into rpgs. Before FF VII final fantasy was a niche franchise that not many casual gamers knew about so not many knew what they were getting into when they bought FF VII

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:35 am

Yea and that was the beginning of the next generation and no one really knew what to expect. It still had the best in game graphics out of any game on the market, even if it wasn't as good as people expected. There are three levels of Final Fantasy graphics btw. Gameplay, the cutscenes that aren't full FMW, and the full FMW cutscenes. By final fantasy X-2, gameplay and the cutscenes that weren't full FMW, are the same. Only difference is voice, and the camera angles change for a more dramatic effect.

And of course that isn't gameplay. No company makes their debut trailer of the game, gameplay. /whack lev

Kalice- Master Architect

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:12 pm

Mario 64 was the next generation during that time.. FF catapulted RPGs into the mainstream and sold alot of Playstations

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:39 pm

My timeline is messed up. I know the release dates of the PS1 and N64 were staggered. As were the next three consoles(xbox, ps2, and gamecube.) Which came out first the playstation or N64?

Kalice- Master Architect

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Playstation was released first in 94 but it wasn't until the N64 and Mario 64 were released that the 3D era had truly begun. Playstation had a few 3D games but nothing like Mario that gave you as much freedom

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:19 pm

Ri'Me wrote:Playstation was released first in 94 but it wasn't until the N64 and Mario 64 were released that the 3D era had truly begun. Playstation had a few 3D games but nothing like Mario that gave you as much freedom

when was the 64 released?

The N64 had more noticably results in the beginning, but by the end of the era the playstation had surpassed the N64 tenfold. Actually I think I'm about to bust out my N64.

Kalice- Master Architect

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:45 pm

wats poppin

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Apium wrote:
Ri'Me wrote:Playstation was released first in 94 but it wasn't until the N64 and Mario 64 were released that the 3D era had truly begun. Playstation had a few 3D games but nothing like Mario that gave you as much freedom

when was the 64 released?

The N64 had more noticably results in the beginning, but by the end of the era the playstation had surpassed the N64 tenfold. Actually I think I'm about to bust out my N64.

N64 was released October 96 in NA.. not sure about Japan

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Wow, I disappear for two days and the GAT goes crazy. Nice.

Btw, by the end of this console generation the PS3 will probably still be tops, but their market share is shrinking. MS has made some very nice headyway and the Wii will be a surprise hit I think. I think there are going to be some severely disappointed Sony fans by the end of this console cycle.

And if the over-heating rumors on the PS3 have any sort of truth to them, then things could get worse. Now, be skeptical when reading anything about the PS3 over-heating rumors. Apparently, numerous PS3s at the Tokyo Game Show were overheating on the floor and had to be reset numerous times. Sony places the blame on the fact that the PS3s were inside protective containers and were in clsoe proximity to many other PS3s and the combined heat output was too much for some of the consoles to handle. For once, I can probably believe Sony. This is no different than when 360s were cooking themselves to death in those kiosks that were sent to stores. The 360s were shrouded in plastic and ran 24/7 and people were surprised they overheated...

And the best game ever made for the N64 was Goldeneye. So much fun. What I find quite interesting is that most people can't play Goldeneye after playing games like Halo. Why? Goldeneye was played with what can now be referred to as a permanent Y invert. Oddly, I always play with a Y invert, so I tend to own ass still in Goldeneye if I can talk anyone to actually play me...

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 am

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Microsoft is actually selling coolant devices that you attach to the 360 to keep them from overheating. This to me is pathetic. Rather than designing a system to be efficient and reliable, they release a system with problems and almost force consumers who are already paying through the nose to dish out more money to pay for this add-on. And don't tell me that redesigning the system to be more efficient should up the cost.. this is Microsoft's foul-up. Efficiency should've been top priority when designing the system in the first place, and power later. If that were the case and we didn't get a system as powerful as what the 360 currently is, oh well.. at least our houses wouldn't burn down!

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:09 am

Kurke_Aumea wrote:Wow, I disappear for two days and the GAT goes crazy. Nice.

Btw, by the end of this console generation the PS3 will probably still be tops, but their market share is shrinking. MS has made some very nice headyway and the Wii will be a surprise hit I think. I think there are going to be some severely disappointed Sony fans by the end of this console cycle.

I'm a disappointed Sony fan. Sony is being too cocky. Microsoft is gaining ground in the console wars, and Sony is still saying no matter how much it costs people will buy it. I will not be buying one until at least 3rd quarter next year and then maybe not at all. I can find good games that will occupy me on the 360, and those games + console will be less than just the PS3.

Kurke_Aumea wrote:And if the over-heating rumors on the PS3 have any sort of truth to them, then things could get worse. Now, be skeptical when reading anything about the PS3 over-heating rumors. Apparently, numerous PS3s at the Tokyo Game Show were overheating on the floor and had to be reset numerous times. Sony places the blame on the fact that the PS3s were inside protective containers and were in clsoe proximity to many other PS3s and the combined heat output was too much for some of the consoles to handle. For once, I can probably believe Sony. This is no different than when 360s were cooking themselves to death in those kiosks that were sent to stores. The 360s were shrouded in plastic and ran 24/7 and people were surprised they overheated...

Yea your probably right on this one, anything will overheat when you put it in those conditions. I've never had a problem with my PS2 overheating, and I've left it on for three days before. Then again I've heard people saying theirs caught fire after 15 hours. Same with the 360.

Kurke_Aumea wrote:And the best game ever made for the N64 was Goldeneye. So much fun. What I find quite interesting is that most people can't play Goldeneye after playing games like Halo. Why? Goldeneye was played with what can now be referred to as a permanent Y invert. Oddly, I always play with a Y invert, so I tend to own ass still in Goldeneye if I can talk anyone to actually play me...

best game for the N64 was rogue squadron :P

Kalice- Master Architect