The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:41 am

Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Apium wrote:Its not Sony, not in consoles. I love SOE, and I love Sony computers. Its Square-Enix, you insult Square-Enix by insulting the PS3 which is their console of choice. Besides there has been no Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts that hasn't sold out the first day. If you watched the trailer you can't deny it wasn't gameplay, and like I said when its Final Fantasy you know its quality.

Just take an inventory of the games I own.

Final Fantasy seven through ten-two.
Two Dyansty warriors
Both Kingdom Hearts.
And GTA.

Thats it, seven Square-Enix, two koei, 1 rockstar. Besides final fantasy its nothing I can't get from another console.

By only beef with Square is that they've beat the dead horse that is FF for way too long. Or maybe I just fail to comprehend what is so great about the FF franchise.

Its hardly dead when half the country of Japan preorders every Final Fantasy. In my opinion GTA is dead, I played the third, bought the fourth and haven't touched the fifth.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:56 am

Bottom line about these two franchises is that each one is only a little different from the last with few changes other than graphics.. now if they were on the Wii it would be different!! /snickers

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:32 am

Apium wrote:
Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Apium wrote:Its not Sony, not in consoles. I love SOE, and I love Sony computers. Its Square-Enix, you insult Square-Enix by insulting the PS3 which is their console of choice. Besides there has been no Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts that hasn't sold out the first day. If you watched the trailer you can't deny it wasn't gameplay, and like I said when its Final Fantasy you know its quality.

Just take an inventory of the games I own.

Final Fantasy seven through ten-two.
Two Dyansty warriors
Both Kingdom Hearts.
And GTA.

Thats it, seven Square-Enix, two koei, 1 rockstar. Besides final fantasy its nothing I can't get from another console.

By only beef with Square is that they've beat the dead horse that is FF for way too long. Or maybe I just fail to comprehend what is so great about the FF franchise.

Its hardly dead when half the country of Japan preorders every Final Fantasy. In my opinion GTA is dead, I played the third, bought the fourth and haven't touched the fifth.

I can't argue you on the GTA point. But I have the same feelings about FF. Perhaps a better comparison would be to compare the FF franchise to the SW franchise. With the SW franchise, you have people who will go out and buy the game just because it is something Star Wars. The game can completely suck, but they will buy it anyways. FF fanatics do the same. OK, the game are probably a bit better quality than what LucasArts releases, but it's the same thing.

I can still gaurantee you that the next GTA game will sell like hotcakes. You might not enjoy it and it might be exactly like it's predecessors, but it will sell like a Halo game.

OK, seeing as how we've been talking about nothing but sequals in the past few posts, what are you thoughts on them? I mean, I appreciate a good sequal, but it's almost like nothing original ever comes to the table. And when an original game does, it gets overshadowed by some sequal. Admittedly, some material deserves a sequal, but the majority doesn't. Or if they do deserve a sequal, please don't give us one every year. I'm almost tempted to include sports games in this, but normally some new features and updated rosters come with each sequal. (The new Maddens have been a slight let down as the next-gen versions have fewer features than their counterparts on the old consoles...) It seems like makny non-sports sequals just bring an expanded story to the table and not much else.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:50 am

I've only bought one sequel in my life, FF X-2 lol. You have to remember that the FF games don't have sequels other than that one exception. Its a completely new world everytime, which is why it doesn't get old. Not only is it a completely new world, each game has a new combat system.

Kalice- Master Architect

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:56 am

Well, if a game is good and there is room to improve on the formula then by all means make a sequel, just don't make sequels almost year after year like Nintendo seems to be doing with Zelda and Metroid, Square with Final Fantasy and Rockstar with GTA. Granted if a game sells, you want to milk the game as much as possible and make money which these games do. Still.. the emotional attachment isn't as great since you're playing essentially the same game again and again. I used to hate Nintendo because they'd only release like one Zelda game per console generation and one Metroid game.. but I'd rather that than be bombarded with 3 sequels in the same console generation. New platforms mean new game experiences. Sequels should only come out maybe 1 per console generation, and in rare cases where the game is still good but there is a lot more potential, release a sequel in the same generation. Games like Grand Theft Auto III had no business making a sequel other than to milk the cash cow.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:01 am

Apium wrote:I've only bought one sequel in my life, FF X-2 lol. You have to remember that the FF games don't have sequels other than that one exception. Its a completely new world everytime, which is why it doesn't get old. Not only is it a completely new world, each game has a new combat system.

FF 1-3 had basically the same combat system with a few enhancements, Final Fantasy 4-9 had essentially the same combat system with a different way of obtaining spells and attacks. FF 10 was more strategic but also similar. So they're all similar games, just different stories and improved graphics.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:03 am

Ri'Me wrote:
Apium wrote:I've only bought one sequel in my life, FF X-2 lol. You have to remember that the FF games don't have sequels other than that one exception. Its a completely new world everytime, which is why it doesn't get old. Not only is it a completely new world, each game has a new combat system.

FF 1-3 had basically the same combat system with a few enhancements, Final Fantasy 4-9 had essentially the same combat system with a different way of obtaining spells and attacks. FF 10 was more strategic but also similar. So they're all similar games, just different stories and improved graphics.

I meant more skill systems than combat, it changed from real time to turn attack though. FF XII has an original combat system, as do the kingdom hearts games. FF XIII will also have an original combat system.

Kalice- Master Architect

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Apium wrote:Its hardly dead when half the country of Japan preorders every Final Fantasy. In my opinion GTA is dead, I played the third, bought the fourth and haven't touched the fifth.

fourth?, FIFTH?! ...last I heard the lasted was 3, vice city, and san andraes with the IV coming out fall next year.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Ok so sequels disguised as expansion pack games! It's still milking the franchise.. they should've sold those games as expansion packs with reduced prices rather than brand new games (speaking about GTA)

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Leviathen wrote:
Apium wrote:Its hardly dead when half the country of Japan preorders every Final Fantasy. In my opinion GTA is dead, I played the third, bought the fourth and haven't touched the fifth.

fourth?, FIFTH?! ...last I heard the lasted was 3, vice city, and san andraes with the IV coming out fall next year.

theres GTA I, GTA II, GTA 3, vice city, and then san andreas. Everyone forgets about GTA 1 and 2. They sucked ass, rockstar didn't get it right the first time. What did you think they started with GTA 3?

Kalice- Master Architect

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:54 pm

some one needs to learn how to count...

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:37 pm

actually it's GTA 1, GTA 2, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas then Liberty City Stories witch is basicly san andreas in GTA 3's city thats all nothing special.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:30 pm

Jaysont wrote:actually it's GTA 1, GTA 2, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas then Liberty City Stories witch is basicly san andreas in GTA 3's city thats all nothing special.

isn't that what I said? Minus the roman numerals. Anyways Lev actually may be right in that GTA 4 will be the next release, even though its 7th in the series. But hey if you don't have fucked up numbering then can you really call yourself a video game developer?

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:38 pm

GTA 4 is the next edition to be released. I have a question that might possibily explain the fact that Vice City and San Andreas weren't numbered. Were those two editions based off of the same engine as GTA 3? If so, that may be why they weren't numbered. OK, maybe I'm stretching for a reason...

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:06 am

Apium wrote:
Leviathen wrote:

theres GTA I, GTA II, GTA 3, vice city, and then san andreas. Everyone forgets about GTA 1 and 2. They sucked ass, rockstar didn't get it right the first time. What did you think they started with GTA 3?

One was FREAKING AWESOME, two was terrible.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life