The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:00 pm

Todd McFarlane (born March 16, 1961 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada) is a cartoonist, comic book writer, artist, toy manufacturer/designer, and media entrepreneur.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, McFarlane became a comic book superstar due to his work on Marvel Comics' Spider-Man franchise. In 1992, he helped form Image Comics, pulling the occult hero Spawn from his high school portfolio and updating him for the 1990s. Spawn was one of the 1990s' most popular heroes and encouraged a trend in creator-owned comic book properties.

In recent years, McFarlane has illustrated comic books less often, focusing on entrepreneurial efforts, such as McFarlane Toys, whose meticulously detailed action figures have set new standards in the toy industry, and Todd McFarlane Entertainment, a film and animation studio.

McFarlane is also co-owner of National Hockey League's Edmonton Oilers and a high-profile collector of history-making baseballs.

Google is your friend.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Wikipedia is SO much better!!!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 pm

telemchus wrote:Google is your friend.

haha, reminds me of a website I saw once, one that you send to people who should have googled before asked.

Sorry for the vulgarity but...

http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Why would I waste my time googling something that your going to do for me later?
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:56 pm

huh

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:Wikipedia is SO much better!!!

No, Wikipedia is convenient but I wouldn't trust anything on there. Why? Because anyone can edit the articles there. For the most part, the articles are accurate, but accuracy issues have popped up. Another thing about Wikipedia is how lopsided the articles are. Popular articles can have pages upon pages of information where less popular articles barely get a sentence.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:07 pm

Wikipedia is great for getting an overview of new topics though. I use it when I have to do a project on something I have no experience of, or never heard of before. I'll never cite it, but it really helps me understand subjects.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:37 pm

It is nice and easy for a quick reference, but I still wouldn't trust anything on there.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:32 am

Wii Price: $249.99 (includes remote, nunchuk attachment, Wii Sports (boxing, baseball, tennis, bowling and golf), sensor bar, sensor bar stand, Wii console stand, and 2 batteries)
Available November 19th
Nintendo says they'll have over 25 games launched by the end of the year for the Wii

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

Things aren't looking good for Sony based on this.. low console numbers, hefty price, same old games... Nintendo could clean up at launch.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 am

I'm actually debating getting a Wii to compliment my 360. Only problem is that a lot of the games I like to play can already be found on the 360. Still, being able to play all of the old school nintendo games would be awesome.

As for Sony, none of it is surprising. They've done this shit for years. They over-promise on the goods and then underdeliver. Half the features Sony said the PS3 would have at E3 2005 magically disappeared. What about Killzone? I can make a nice long list, but I'm sure most of you know the details.

Do I want Sony to wither up and die? No. I just want them to take a very bloody beating this time around. They desperately need to lose a good chunkof their market share. Why? Because competition is good for the industry.

It is extremely possible for the Wii to come out on top in all of this simply because of the apporach Nintendo took. They're going after non-gamers with the Wii. If it works, the gaming industry will explode. Of course, if the Wii reaches that potential, I think it will serve as more of a stepping stone to the big boy consoles of the 360 and PS3.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:27 pm

Sure you can play alot of the games coming out on Wii on the 360 and PS3, but you can't actually -play- them like you can on the Wii.. so the Wii games imo are for the most part all exclusives. Even the games coming out on other consoles can still be considered exclusives since the control is so radically different. (or should be at least..) :P

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Yeah, you're right. Every game on the Wii will play entirely different than the same games on the PS3 or 360. Here's the thing though, the Wiimote is just too much interactivity for me. Call me lazy, but what's wrong with pressing buttons??? OK, I like how you can use the Wiimote for shooting guns (because I can still sit in my chair), but for the football and boxing games I just have a feeling that would involve me getting off my ass. Sorry, when I play video games I want to sit and relax, not get exercise (especially after a long day of classes and work...). lol

Honestly, I think the Wiimote is kind of a gimmick. It's really neat and it's really cool. It brings a whole new aspect to gaming. But, how long will it last? The first-party Nintendo titles will take full advantage of the Wiimote and make it interesting for sure. But I wonder if the third-party titles will use the Wiimote to its fullest extent... If they don't, then I think the Wiimote will just turn into a gimmick that won't last long. Especially when Nintendo is offering a "classic" gamepad that you can probably use in place of the Wiimote.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:47 pm

wow, that is a lot less than I thought the Wii would be... I swore it was reported at $400ish range.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Ri'Me wrote:
Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

Things aren't looking good for Sony based on this.. low console numbers, hefty price, same old games... Nintendo could clean up at launch.

they are considering delaying it again. I don't care what sony does I just want my Final Fantasy. I orgasm everytime I hear about Final Fantasy 12, and its only a couple months away. I bought Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus, beat it in two days. It wasn't nearly enough to quench my Final Fantasy thirst though.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 pm

I hate nintendoes games...