The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Hey Lev you live near toronto right well check this out... http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:49 pm

He lives in Huron, its 45min west of cleveland. Maybe east I keep mixing it up anyways whichever side of cleveland is closer to cedar point. Its about 10min from Cedar point. Sandusky is really close also. Its in Erie county. Don't know if any of that will help but thats all I can think of.

I go to Cedar Point every year around the 4th of july. I haven't done dragster mainly because I'm scared of the line. I heard that was the most intense part of the ride. Gemini is my favorite, yea its small but b/c of the angle you 'lose your stomach' more than on any of the others.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Apium wrote:He lives in Huron, its 45min west of cleveland. Maybe east I keep mixing it up anyways whichever side of cleveland is closer to cedar point. Its about 10min from Cedar point. Sandusky is really close also. Its in Erie county. Don't know if any of that will help but thats all I can think of.

I go to Cedar Point every year around the 4th of july. I haven't done dragster mainly because I'm scared of the line. I heard that was the most intense part of the ride. Gemini is my favorite, yea its small but b/c of the angle you 'lose your stomach' more than on any of the others.

How I envy you...

The Dragster is great. Yeah, the wait in the line can downright suck, but the ride is worth the wait. It is short... really short... but really, really sweet. My personal favorite is Millenium Force. It is the smoothest coaster I have ever been on and has so much great hang time. I love Raptor as well, but everytime I go up there I end up waiting for ever to get on it... Which is really odd, because I once made it onto Millenium Force in 10 minutes and rode in the front seat. Yeah, you can't beat that experience!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:08 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:Hey Lev you live near toronto right well check this out... http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html

Yeah I heard about that. What really boggles my mind is who sold them 3 tonnes of fertalizer in Durham county without stoping to think "wait... there are no farms here" Wonder what they were planning to use it on.

I've always watned to go to Cedar Point. We have a really good amusement park around here, but it gets boring after you have been there far too many times like I have :P Still got some damn sweet rides in it.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:14 am

What's great is that Cedar Point is about two hours from where I live and Geauga Lake (the old Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and Geauga Lake before that!) is only 45 minutes away. So, when gas prices go through the roof and no one can afford the long haul to the Point, the Lake is just around the corner. They have 10 coasters I believe. Well, maybe only 9 now. I thought they were taking out Head Spin (the old Mind Eraser) and moving it to some park in Texas. It's a boomerang coaster.

Geauga Lake also has the longest floorless coaster in the world, at least it was the last time I checked. It's the old Batman: Knight Flight now known as Dominator. It is hands down the best coaster at the park. It is a B&M classic. It has some great elemnts in it that make it a lot of fun. There is a giant cobra roll, a giant loop, and interlocking corkscrews for a finally. X-Flight is also cool. It is a Vekoma flying coaster. It's a blast when it is up and running, albeit slightly short.

Still, my favorites are Millenium Force (by Intamin) and Raptor (by B&M). MF has great air time and is so smooth. Raptor has some very nice elements in it. The cobra roll, inline twists, and double helix (you have to be pulling about 2 G's or so through the helix's) at the end make it a very fun ride.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a coaster nut on the side... Between Ohio and California you have the bulk of coasters in the United States. Magic Mountain in California has I think 17 coasters as of this year and Cedar Point has 16 currently. Rumor has it that Cedar Point is planning something big, possibly a wood coaster for next year or '08.

Still, I've only been to two parks in Ohio. There is still Paramount's Kings Island in Cinci (home of The Beast and Son of Beast) and a few other smaller parks. Pennsylvania has Kennywood which houses some old classics I still haven't rode on yet. That's another great thing about where I live. Within two or three hours in any direction, I can ride probably 30 or more roller coasters. Six hours in any direction and the probably doubles.

I need to find someone who likes coasters as much as I do. All my friends are pansies. Oh, they think they are all manly men because they love football and are all muscular and everything, but they're scared as shit to ride most of the coasters I've been on.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:47 am

The one closest to my house is about 45 minutes away, ParamountCanada's Wonderland. I think it has nine or ten roller coasters... I tried counting in my head and I got nine, so assuming Ia m not missing anything, lets go with nine. I am a sucker for the wooden roller coasters, and it was two freaking awesome wooden coasters, Mindbuster and Wildbeast. I was really disappointed with their flying coaster when it came out, it really sucks, badly :P

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:06 am

Wildbeast is the shit, best coaster in the park imo lol.. it looks old and rickety and your body jolts all over the place in the car as it goes through the turns making it the most nerve wracking exciting coaster

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:39 am

Wooden coasters and me don't always get along. I enjoy wooden coasters until I start being put in pain because of them... For the longest time when I was young, Mean Streak at Cedar Point would just hurt me like crazy. But I think it was because I hadn't grown into the seats yet. Now that I'm older, when me and another person sit in the seats we don't go flying from side to side anymore.

Still, The Villain at Geauga Lake is the most painful coaster I have ever been on. It uses wooden tracks but has a steel structure (so technically, it's a wood coaster). For some reason or another I end up in a lot of pain after that ride...

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:42 am

Kurke_Aumea wrote:Wooden coasters and me don't always get along. I enjoy wooden coasters until I start being put in pain because of them... For the longest time when I was young, Mean Streak at Cedar Point would just hurt me like crazy. But I think it was because I hadn't grown into the seats yet. Now that I'm older, when me and another person sit in the seats we don't go flying from side to side anymore.

Still, The Villain at Geauga Lake is the most painful coaster I have ever been on. It uses wooden tracks but has a steel structure (so technically, it's a wood coaster). For some reason or another I end up in a lot of pain after that ride...

yea Mean streak does that. For some reason its my sisters favorite and i'm forced to go on it multiple times with her. I always need a break and an advil after that.

Kalice- Master Architect

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:45 am

Ri'Me wrote:Wildbeast is the shit, best coaster in the park imo lol.. it looks old and rickety and your body jolts all over the place in the car as it goes through the turns making it the most nerve wracking exciting coaster

:D Its my absolute favouite. The first fall is so steep and it just keeps getting better. Wonderland did wooden coasters right.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:31 pm

For many yearss, I found Magnum XL200 at the Point to be one fo the rougher coasters I'd ride. It was like the transitions between the up/down track to the peaks of the hills weren't right. The transitions were really, really sough for about 8 or 10 years there. The last time I went up there and rode it, it seemed a lot better though.

Of course, it could be the type of coaster that it is. It seems like a lot of steel coasters that use that track type and wheel configuration on the trains get a lot rougher as they age. It seems like the B&M coasters age the best. Mantis and Raptor are both a bit older and still ride quite well. It's hard to say much about Intamin coasters as there aren't many older Intamin coasters.

Vogik

Post by Vogik » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:57 pm

Just got my new computer!! AMD 64 3200+.. 1gb pc 3200 ram... Nvidia 6800.. nice computer imo

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Vogik wrote:Just got my new computer!! AMD 64 3200+.. 1gb pc 3200 ram... Nvidia 6800.. nice computer imo

cmon man you should have gone for the 7800

Kalice- Master Architect

Vogik

Post by Vogik » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:46 pm

I didnt buy the 6800 new.. I had it in my old computer.. i upgraded mobo, cpu, and ram.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Another YOUTube video :P

Hopefully no one's seen this yet, it pertains to the upcoming console wars.
Behold, Console Wars Episode IV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYf4-CFLp0k