The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun May 07, 2006 1:00 am

I had SATs today. I knew it was long but 5 hours?!?!?!? I forgot my calculator, which made the test not only long but harder.

Yay I started a page! Go page 55!!!!
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 am

Whats an SAT? Other than some sort of test.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Sun May 07, 2006 7:11 am

So anybody get any info on Halo 3 or the Halo movie release?

I heard they were gonna demo Halo 3 in some form at E3, but I am interested in the Nintendo Wii, can't wait to see how games will be played on that system. *is a Nintendo fan boy* :P

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun May 07, 2006 9:08 am

Leviathen wrote:Whats an SAT? Other than some sort of test.

It's a placement exam for college bound students. Frankly, I think it is a waste of time and money (you can include the ACTs into that category as well). You want to really see how smart an U.S. student it? Ask him/her to find and label all 50 states on a map of the U.S. I assure you that a majority will fail. Many will probably not even to be able to label the state they live in.

Not only is the above based on a study of people in my age group, but I have seen it first hand and it is disturbing. Did you know 60% of American college students (COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!) can't find Iraq on a world map. Yes, it gets worse. One-third of American students (18 - 24) can't locate Louisiana on a map of the U.S. and 48% couldn't locate Mississippi (the states that got hammered by hurricane Katrina last year). Click the link to see just how geography stupid American students are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413

And welcome to the GAT Ri'me. I think we finally have fanboys from all three consoles now.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun May 07, 2006 9:45 am

Kurke_Aumea wrote:

It's a placement exam for college bound students. Frankly, I think it is a waste of time and money (you can include the ACTs into that category as well). You want to really see how smart an U.S. student it? Ask him/her to find and label all 50 states on a map of the U.S. I assure you that a majority will fail. Many will probably not even to be able to label the state they live in.

Not only is the above based on a study of people in my age group, but I have seen it first hand and it is disturbing. Did you know 60% of American college students (COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!) can't find Iraq on a world map. Yes, it gets worse. One-third of American students (18 - 24) can't locate Louisiana on a map of the U.S. and 48% couldn't locate Mississippi (the states that got hammered by hurricane Katrina last year). Click the link to see just how geography stupid American students are.

And welcome to the GAT Ri'me. I think we finally have fanboys from all three consoles now.

Yea I saw that report. I still have trouble believing it though since I could label a map of Europe since I was 7. I remember taking "label the state tests" in the 5th grade. People from another country probably have a better chance of labeling the states than some of us do.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun May 07, 2006 10:35 am

I was almost ready to take the SAT this year but I don't know why I didn't. I know all fifty states capitals and where they are and I know most of that for Europe too.To close this longest post of mine in a while I would like to add on how much I think nintendos (excluding the original) are bad for playing games theres just no fun spend all that good money on an Xbox or maybe a 360 if you can afford that.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun May 07, 2006 11:10 am

Nintendo's biggest issue is that they always have that "console for kids" feeling. Maybe the Wii *shudder* will change that, but I doubt it considering how well Nintendo likes to milk their franchises (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc.). Then again, Microsoft and Sony can be just as bad at milking the franchise cow, but at least those franchises are geared towards older gamers.

The one thing Nintendo really has working for it is its price. The way I picture it, most gamers who take themselves seriously will have either a PS3 or a 360 and then they will have a Wii too. Personally, I just can't get into the Wii. I don't know if it's the name or the controller or something else, but I just can't get into it.

And the fact that you know as much as you do Waucod, makes me have some faith left in American students.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun May 07, 2006 11:13 am

Kurke_Aumea wrote:And the fact that you know as much as you do Waucod, makes me have some faith left in American students.

Well it shouldn't cause almost all of the kids I know couldn't find Iraq on a middle eastern map and can't label the states.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun May 07, 2006 11:27 am

Waucod Meesman wrote:
Kurke_Aumea wrote:And the fact that you know as much as you do Waucod, makes me have some faith left in American students.

Well it shouldn't cause almost all of the kids I know couldn't find Iraq on a middle eastern map and can't label the states.

Yes, but you're my beacon of hope...

Don't feel bad, because I often question my own age group as I am commonly the only one whoever knows anything. (Yes, I realize that sounds arrogant, but it's the damn truth) There was a comic in my local newspaper the other day. In it there is a professor teaching in front of a classroom of students. There is a map of Europe on the chalkboard and the professor asks the students where Paris is located. To which a student replies, "I think she's in Miami Beach today." (In reference to Paris Hilton)

It's funny, but tragic at the same time...

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun May 07, 2006 11:36 am

While I'm at it, here's a Halo 3 tidbit for ya.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/703/703671p1.html

Expect a two minute long trailer for Halo 3 on Tuesday. Likely downloadable only on Xbox Live or off of Bungie's/Microsoft's website (well, until a couple minutes later when it is up on Bit Torrent...).

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun May 07, 2006 12:52 pm

Apium wrote:
Kurke_Aumea wrote:

Yea I saw that report. I still have trouble believing it though since I could label a map of Europe since I was 7. I remember taking "label the state tests" in the 5th grade. People from another country probably have a better chance of labeling the states than some of us do.

I think I can name 30 of them or something. I would smack anyone in Canada who couldn't label the provinces/territories and their capitals.

As well, I think it is pretty sad if you can't find Iraq on the map.

The thing that bothers me about a lot of people is their ignorance to their government. If you asked what type of government Canada has to most people, they would say democracy, not constitutional monarchy. Or if you asked them who is our Governer General and what is her fuction, they would stare at you with a blank look. Then they feel they have the right to be upset when the government does something they don't like. I feel if you are that ignorant and don't put your say in, when the shit has the fan you have no rights.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Issele
Captain

Post by Issele » Sun May 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Apium wrote:I had SATs today. I knew it was long but 5 hours?!?!?!? I forgot my calculator, which made the test not only long but harder.

This is what SAT's are like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41AlMA3qFU

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun May 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Issele reads the GAT thread! :O:O:O

Issele
Captain

Post by Issele » Sun May 07, 2006 4:10 pm

Leviathen wrote:Issele reads the GAT thread! :O:O:O

Best Thread here. :D

Vogik

Post by Vogik » Sun May 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Issele wrote:
Apium wrote:I had SATs today. I knew it was long but 5 hours?!?!?!? I forgot my calculator, which made the test not only long but harder.

This is what SAT's are like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41AlMA3qFU
Holy shit!!