The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:17 am

Up in Tennesee and we'll probably go to D.C. and check out all the museums we missed last year.

oh and Kurke you just busted 2000 posts lol and Tele busted 1000

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:24 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:Up in Tennesee and we'll probably go to D.C. and check out all the museums we missed last year.

oh and Kurke you just busted 2000 posts lol and Tele busted 1000

w00t for me!!!

That makes two people with over 2,000 posts now.

Who's gonna be the third???

matron

Post by matron » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:33 pm

ME!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

matron

Post by matron » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:35 pm

well...... i might get 100 before the 3rd 2000'er :wink:

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:36 pm

no WAI, Leviathen Bringing up fourth, will make it to third >:D

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I'll be fifth probably me or biz oh and Kurke or Biz or anyone else who knows a lot about computers what do you think of this http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-PC_W0QQitemZ ... dZViewItem

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:I'll be fifth probably me or biz oh and Kurke or Biz or anyone else who knows a lot about computers what do you think of this http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-PC_W0QQitemZ ... dZViewItem

There's a few nice things about it, but it is still gonna play SWG like a dog. Just to play SWG you should have at least 1GB of RAM and something other than an Intel graphics accelerator. You should be able to find a 256MB Nvidia or ATI card for a decent price these days. It's a pretty system to look at, but you're probably better off either A. Cruising computer sites pricing computers until you find one that meets your needs and price range or B. Build a computer yourself.

And if you do buy something off eBay, buyer beware!

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:59 pm

computer sites like?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:28 pm

Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, Alienware (<--- If you can afford Alienware).

If you want to build one yourself, get your parts from Newegg.com.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm alright with technical stuff but building a computer!!!!! Not me

bizob

Post by bizob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:25 pm

That's NOT a gaming machine. First off the Celeron processor is not good for gaming. It's an entr level processor good for word processing and a little web surfing. It just don't have the power to push todays games, even with a 3.3Ghz clock speed (the frontside bus and L2 cache just don't cut it). Like Kurke said you'll need better graphics power for any of todays game. The intel media accelerator is good for basic games, videos and digital photo work but lacks enough memory for todays games. It will have a small amount of its own memory (usually) and will use up some of your system memory.

Here's some things to look for in a system. Get at least 1GB (1024MB) of memory (aka RAM). If you get one with just 1GB of memory find out how they have that configured. What I mean is: is it 2 sticks of 512MB or a single 1GB stick? If it is 2 sticks of 512MB make sure you have some free memory slots available for upgrades down the road. If you have 2 sticks of 512MB and only 2 slots you can't upgrade without tossing the original sticks out, kind of a waste IMO.

For a processor I recommend the AMD Athlon X2 4200+. That's one smokin cpu right there. It's also kinda costly so heres some alternatives. The AMD Athlon 64 series has some nice processors, the higher the model number (like 3200+, 3600+ etc). These willalso give you the option to upgrade to Windows Vista down the road and enjoy 64bit computing. Pentium 4s are getting hard to find these days but if you get one get a 800 series one. They are also 64bit compliant (though not true 64bit). The new Pentium D series are good too, but unles you're getting a 900series I would go with an Athlon X2.

For graphics card you will want to go with a PCI-Express card. Thi is the new generation of video card technology and will give a lot better perfomance than AGP offers. Look for a card with 256MB of memory and a 400Mhz clock speed. ATI and NVidia both offer a range of good cards that will meet your needs and fit your budget.

I know this can seem intimidating to the non-geeks out there, but do some research and when you think you have something that looks good post a link here on the forums and I'l be happy to give my opinion and I'm sure others will too. What you'll probably end up doing is buying a system that meets most of your neds and having a few upgrades installed (video card for sure). Another thing I always try to do in these situations is to try to find a system that you can grow with. It can be a lot cheaper to do a few rounds of upgrades than buy a new system every other year. Happy Shopping!

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:53 pm

Building your own computer is a lot easier than you think. First, you have to come up with a shopping list of items you need. Then, you buy the parts and then you put it all together. Here's the basic computer elements:

-Case
-Power Supply
-Motherboard
-Processor
-Hard Drive
-CD Drive
-Video Card
-Memory

These days, most good motherboards come with integrated networking, USB ports, and even integrated video (but integrated video sucks). Of course, before purchasing anything, make sure you do your homework and make sure everything is compatible. There's no sense in dropping a pretty penny on some Asus motherboard only to find out that the processor you bought won't fit it.

Theep

Post by Theep » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:55 pm

How dare you delete my post kurke! It had a deep meaning

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:23 am

Kurke your only 257 posts behind Lexx but don't say anything about it to Lexx until you beat him

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:58 pm

Theep wrote:How dare you delete my post kurke! It had a deep meaning

No offense, but the entire length of your post was the following:

"spam"

There's enough spam in my inbox, I don't want to see it here; especially with the ad bots roaming in the public forums...

Btw, am I the only one that thinks Szul has a psych degree we don't know about???