Star Wars:The Old Republic

A place for forum users to meet and greet the members of RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Tezifo Wola
Star Wars:The Old Republic

Post by Tezifo Wola » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:02 pm

In this topic,discuss about the game Star Wars:The Old Republic.
Get pooped on

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Re: Star Wars:The Old Republic

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 am

Well I liked both KOTOR games, the first especially.

I don't really follow TOR development too closely, but I sort of know enough of how it's coming along, and what they plan to do.

To me, it seems like it'll be a solidly built game, designed to be exactly what the devs want it to be -- a story-driven MMO that employs successful elements from other games, such as WoW.

I actually don't know with 100% certainty whether I will be playing it or not. If I do play it, it may not be right at launch.

The thing is, I've always liked SWG because of the freedoms. Being able to build player cities, decorate homes, fly in space, explore, etc. Granted, this game was poorly developed from the get-go, but it has things that no other large MMO in the world has.

TOR won't have those things, it would be an entirely different experience altogether. This isn't a bad or good thing, it's just important to understand that it's not designed to be a replacement to SWG, despite being a Star Wars game.

With that said, some of my only real complaints about TOR from what I can tell so far is that it'll be largely instance based (I prefer open worlds), and space flight looks too simplified. There are other things too, but I haven't really read up on everything too closely.

Tezifo Wola

Post by Tezifo Wola » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59 am

It does have open worlds,there are 16 of them, they are Tython, Korriban, Hutta, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Balmorra, Alderaan, Tatooine, Dromund Kaas, Taris, Belvaris, Voss, Hoth, Nar Shaddaa, Corellia, and Ilum.

Its been a year since they showed the space combat,they might have changed it to were its like SWG space combat. At E3 this year the SWTOR will be shown there and i think they will show what they have done in the past year,also about E3, George Lucas will be there for something special and many people think that he will personally anounce Star Wars Battlefront 3.
Get pooped on

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:55 pm

"Open" as in seamless, not open as in wide, open spaces. So, no, TOR will not have "open" worlds, like in SWG.

TOR space is a railroad. So, you can't "explore" space, like in SWG, but it'll play out like Starfox.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Yeah, what I meant is seamless open worlds. To me, those sort of things are unique.

I did read that the devs of TOR will try to keep instances only for single-player scenarios, so that other players won't interfere. So who knows, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Of course it's not like SWG hasn't been doing that sort of thing either. Kashyyyk is largely instanced, as are parts of Mustafar and the heroic instances, among other things.

I have doubts that the space system in TOR will be upgraded to something like SWG's, as it was already implemented as an after-thought. Though after having skimmed through the TOR message boards, it does seem like a large number of players want something more than an "on-rails shooter." Maybe if the devs of TOR are listening, they'll try to make it something a bit more controllable, like in Battlefront, but I doubt it will be like SWG's. Also, has it really been a year since they announced spaceflight in TOR? It almost feels like they announced it a few months ago. Time must be flying by.

Tezifo Wola

Post by Tezifo Wola » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

i think it will be a game worth playing,it will cost $59.99 like a normal xbox 360 game,and there will be no monthly subscrptions from what i have looked up.
Get pooped on

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Source for that? Their Devs mentioned a subscription-based system lightyears ago.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm

It'd be interesting if it was not subscription based, but from what I gather, most people would be upset if it was based on micro-transactions.

It'd either have to be subscription based or micro-transaction based to be profitable.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 am

Here's the latest info I can find on that.

Tezifo Wola

Post by Tezifo Wola » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm

If there is a monthly subscription i hope it wont be too much,$15 is too much. btw what is micro-transaction?
Get pooped on

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm

A micro-transaction is sort of like what the SOE Clone Wars MMO has, or Freerealms.

You basically just pay for the game box, and you can play free. But if you want lots of additional abilities, items, or other perks, you need to pay real money for them.

In a certain sense, the SWG TCG cards are a type of micro-transaction.

Tezifo Wola

Post by Tezifo Wola » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm

oh ok,well i guess i'd rather have a monthly subsciption.......but still i think that the game wont have any of that,i predict that the game will be $59.99 and will have no monthly pay....i forgot were i saw that though,somewere on the official website i thinkz :O
Get pooped on

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

*Yes, I still lurk around here...*

I am personally getting excited about SWTOR. While it may not be the sandbox game that SWG is, I think it will provide things that make it surpass SWG as a MMO. I never really got into combat in SWG, no matter how many times I tried... I always found it too much of a grind. That's why I ended up enjoying crafting and player cities like I did. On the other hand, I have discovered how much I love games like Mass Effect, which just wrap you up with story. I enjoyed the story aspect so much that I forgot I was actually leveling up a character. If Bioware can apply the same magic to SWTOR, I think the game will be very well received.

I know space has been a touchy subject for SWTOR. I can understand that. However, when I stop and look at why the devs decided to go with a tunnel shooter, I understand why. I mean, did we ever see Han and Chewie just go fly around the emptiness of space for shits and giggles? No. They always had a purpose; a destination. Personally, I don't think that space for SWTOR will be quite as on "rails" as everyone thinks it will. Will it be a bit like Starfox? Yes, I imagine, but that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. Even the devs admit that space is supposed to be more of a side game or mini-game. In comparison to SWG, space is practically a separate game (which also happens to be very disjointed from the main game).

They just revealed crafting information not too long ago and I was surprised by what I saw. Definitely not a tradtional take on crafting. It doesn't look as in depth as SWG's crafting system, but not as much of a time sink either.

Overall, the devs say they are out to create a "heroic" experience for players. An experience where you do heroic and important things, not mundane things a droid could do. Given what I have seen, I am impressed and am highly looking forward to the game.

*crosses fingers for beta invite*

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey all. Long time no chat. SWTOR just opened a guild portal for their game. I've been planning for a long time to start a guild in SWTOR because it's (hopefully) going to be my quintessential MMO. If there isn't an official R.I.D. guild going, those who know me (or don't know me yet) are welcome to join the one I started. I just barely created it and haven't started recruiting, but you can find it here:

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/21955/pocket-aces

It's called Pocket Aces. It's a Republic PvP guild for casual players with a little bit of emphasis on RP. I wanted to keep the spirit of RID with a heavy focus on player events. Just go to the site and join up if you are interested. Cheers folks!

Tezifo Wola

Post by Tezifo Wola » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 pm

I have just started a guild on SWTOR,its Regal Imperial Defenders,everyone sign up on the website and join the guild! :D
Get pooped on