Is SWG still worth it?

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant
Is SWG still worth it?

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Most of the forum regulars know I quit playing SWG a while ago. I left for a variety of reasons, but I've always missed it. Mainly, I really didn't like where the game was heading. I did try Lord of the Rings Online last year, but I just couldn't click with it like I did with SWG (not to mention it now consumes my best friend's life, so it has left a bitter taste in my mouth).

Now for some reason or another, the lovely idea of going back to SWG has popped into my head. I'm not entirely sure if this is a great idea on my part yet, but I figure I could get some answers here. I quit the game before SOE tore it apart and rebuilt it. Should I even give it a chance or just forget it entirely? Is the game still fun? Are there a good number of people who still play? Given the possibility of a future Star Wars MMO, is this still worth my time?

I guess I'm just looking for some general opinion of how SWG currently is. 2008 looks to be rather dry in terms of gaming for myself. There aren't many games on my list this year so going back to a MMO is a possibility. Anyone willing to toss their opinion out there, please do.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 pm

Honestly, no. You could probably stand a month, then again maybe not. I started about six months after launch and quit before the CU. I loved the old game, but when I came back after the NGE I connected somewhat with it also. (I also started a new character on a new server(starsider) because looking at the mess my old pre-cu character was in made me a bit sad). As much as you liked the old SWG, I cannot really picture you enjoying the NGE. You will start out poor, confused, and probably at a level below 90.

The major reason I played SWG was for the depth it allowed compared to other MMOs, as well as the community. The NGE killed the depth and the community has gone to hell over the past year.

Final verdict: Hold out for an MMO worth playing
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:53 pm

My recommendation would be to go for the trial. Even I practically quit the game now, despite playing through every stage of the game, since it just feels completely dead at this point. Views change from person to person though, so give it a shot if you want to.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Apium wrote:Honestly, no. You could probably stand a month, then again maybe not. I started about six months after launch and quit before the CU. I loved the old game, but when I came back after the NGE I connected somewhat with it also. (I also started a new character on a new server(starsider) because looking at the mess my old pre-cu character was in made me a bit sad). As much as you liked the old SWG, I cannot really picture you enjoying the NGE. You will start out poor, confused, and probably at a level below 90.

The major reason I played SWG was for the depth it allowed compared to other MMOs, as well as the community. The NGE killed the depth and the community has gone to hell over the past year.

Final verdict: Hold out for an MMO worth playing

I'm just not sure if there are any MMO's coming out that offer the depth that SWG had. I mean, every new MMO seems to be cookie cutter. "Let's have level based combat, six professions, and completely ignore non-combative people." Like I said, I tried LOTRO and it wasn't that I was disappointed, I just felt out of place.

I'm not someone who is big on leveling and combat. What made SWG so enjoyable for me was the non-combat side of things. I would sit and craft things and then set up a shop to sell my goods and I made a good virtual living doing so. Add in the social aspect and it was a wonderful time killer. Then with other little things like player cities, mining, cool player transports, and an actual working economy, the game was so much fun.

Like I said, it's just hard finding something that suits me in a MMO. Add on top of that I need a game that isn't super time demanding. I work a full time job and have a fiance who is all about "us" time (Did I mention a wedding we are planning?). I want something where I can enjoy during the precious few hours here and there that I can play.

I know I'm probably not making a good case for playing MMOs, but I'm a little tired of console games. Halo wore itself out quickly and I've been living on my XBOX 360 for over a year straight with first-person shooters, racing games, and an occasional RPG (Mass Effect ftw!!!).

RettVescan
Staff Sergeant

Post by RettVescan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:07 am

Like Toor said, just give do the trial, or re-activate your account for one month. If you don't like it you can cancel and you'll only be out 15$ - not that big of a deal in my opinion.
As for my opinion of the game, I started playing in beta 3 and left because i couldn't stand having to grind everywhere and everything to make progress. Came back CU and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on so i left again. Came back once again shortly after the NGE hit and have been playing enthusiastically ever since. I love the game and the progress its made since NGE. And with the major space update getting ready to hit, I'm really excited. And I can't wait to find out what chapter 9 holds in store for us. So simply put - GET BACK IN THE GAME, SON!

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Give it a go,

Honestly, I think it'd be awesome to have Apium and Kurke not only back in-game, but back in RID :P

Try the trial. Kurke, it's been so long that it'll probably feel like a new game now, but I think thats the advantage. I think only those who went through with the arduous transformation to the NGE are more upsetened by it.

But if you look at it as a new game, it might feel a little more involving. The only thing is the lack of population that we used to have, but otherwise, I'd say the game is improving and is worth getting a trial over.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm

LexxYovel wrote:Honestly, I think it'd be awesome to have Apium and Kurke not only back in-game, but back in RID :P

You don't care to add anyone else?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Oh... oh yes of course, we want our beloved Waucod back too...

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

der...

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 pm

well im not sure how ss is now but chilastra a good economy, nothing to cheap or too expensive, theirs always players on whether they be pvpers, pvers or traders or ents, always a big base amount. so if u dont like it on ss come to chilastra.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:49 pm

RID should start a SWG credit sale website, then you could raise money to bring Kurke and I back(and err waucod). Then we will find a way to buy back your banned accounts.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:56 pm

yes Apium that idea is ingenious... I don't think my computer meets the specs though....

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 pm

well with the money you would make of a credit selling website u could buy 3 new computer and combine them into like a super comp that cud run SWG and make you food and drinks all at the same time while having graphics boosted up to full and not even a milisecond of lag.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Jaysont wrote:well with the money you would make of a credit selling website u could buy 3 new computer and combine them into like a super comp that cud run SWG and make you food and drinks all at the same time while having graphics boosted up to full and not even a milisecond of lag.

Yes!!! We must put this into action as soon as possible!!!

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, I'm downloading the 14-day free trial right now. I'm at 15% on the first file and still have a nother huge one to go. Myabe I'll go play some Empire At War while I'm waiting...