Racial Slang on Guildtell

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Racial Slang on Guildtell

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:56 am

I think it needs to be reiterated that racial slang should not be tolerated. Skaarj repeatedly used the term "Dot Head" in guildtell to describe people of the Hindu faith. I politely asked him to not use racially insensitve slang where I can hear it, and suggested that he use /tell. After he continued to use that term, I told him that if he persisted I would forward the chatlog to the CSR's and file a harassment complaint. He acted belligerent and proceeded to call me a "Dot Head". He also told me that since he was friends with 10 CSR's nothing would come of this incident. Is this the way our guildmembers are expected to act? We're all on the same side, and these kinds of actions and attitudes will only drive people away when we need new recriuts the most. I don't mind being called most profanity, but when people decide to bring their ignorant biases and prejudices into the fray it ruins what is supposed to be a fun game. Just my $.02

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:09 am

I am sorry, but I will not Tolerate this type of behavior in this guild. I don't care what your age is in RL, you should not be saying this type of stuff in guild chat. I am ashamed that this has happened in our guild, we have enough problems as is. If this type of behavior persists I shall take my Leave. If I had been an officer, I would have guild removed you on the spot.

Aleksandrov Danislavko
Faithful Servant of the Empire

Totzo

Post by Totzo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:57 am

I completely agree with you guys. As the Chief of Creature Support and Personal Advisor of Lexx, I can remove guild members who commit such acts. If this persists, contact me or Lexx.

Totzo

Chief of Creature Support

Personal Advisor of RID

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:57 am

/sign

While I share your concern on this subject, I would like to recommend that if you are going to name names, please use private messages and talk to those who are in charge about this subject.

I for one, do not like racial slangs and I think that anyone who uses them should be delt with properly.

Your friendly architect,
Kurke Aumea

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:37 am

I 100% agree with everyone. If this behavior continues I want everyone to tell me. RID is already through difficult times like Alek said.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:40 pm

I agree...
Skaarj has even made racial slurs towards the Iraqis.
Ok, i know your country is fighting a war, but the stuff he was saying was pretty far-fetched and irritating.

So /sign

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:09 pm

I respectfully disagree with you, Kurke, and Mnyak is a perfect example of why. If Mnyak had not seen my post or heard about that incedent, he might never had said anything, and the problem might be considered localized. It, obviously, is not. If a person can be so brazen and insensitive to say such things publicly, then I firmly believe that they can be called out publicly.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:24 pm

I respect your argument Chalic,
My own sentiments may often come into play, and personally i am anti-war and pro equality,

So if someone labels a nation of people a derogatory term, i really don't see the need for it, and feel quite offended at the individual's ignorance.

However, i think we should keep our real-life politics away from this game....... It's bloody starwars after all!!

So apologies for any feathers i may have ruffled, but i have my opinions and will express them when i see fit.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm

Hehe, eveyone has their own opinion. You make a good point in your final sentence Chalic. But I just come from a school of thought where serious problems are dealt with behind closed doors to prevent a chaotic situation from arising. While it probably won't be the situation here, I have seen where revealing names of the accused has caused severe uproar. Of course, I come from a town where scandals run rampant.

I mean, posting a topic like this shows that there is a problem somewhere that should be dealt with immediately. But, I would not have mentioned a name. Of course, that is me and you are you. To each their own.

Your friendly architect,
Kurke Aumea