Is SWG still worth it?

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Yeah there's no reason the original disks shouldn't work.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm

At one point, there was a problem with the launchpad and some people couldn't update the game. Since then I believe the tech support people have kept a thread on the SWG forums that gives a direct to all of the update files. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: You think they would sticky this instead of making one go through 9 links to reach it. Anways, here you go:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... 40#2901905
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks! Still not sure if this will help though. I don't know if you have run the 14 day trial or not, but they basically require you to download two files, a data3.cab and a SWG14DayTrial.exe. After you download both, you run the exe file. It extracts some more cab and DLL files before launching a setup.exe. During this setup process it extracts items out of the cab files and into a StarWarsGalaxies directory in the Program Files folder. About halfway through it goes to extract the patch 9 tre file (which I believe is in that data3.cab and that's where it has a catastrophic failure.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:37 pm

OK, some interesting stuff concerning this installation...

No matter what I do, the damn thing craps out on me when trying to extract the patch 9 tre file. However, when I manually downlaod the file, the install works fine before it actually stops working and Windows has to close it. When the original catastrohpic failure would happen, it would remove all installed files up till that point. Now, when Windows must close it, all the original files stay there. So, now I just have to download some 40 or 5 more files and I will be all set...

What I don't do for my gaming habit...

Edit:
I'm starting to think that the data3.cab file is just corrupt off their website. I've downloaded it like two or three times and the installer only kills itself when it tries to extract things out of that cab file.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm

When I did the trial, I just downloaded the launchpad and the launchpad downloaded all the files I needed for the trial. That must have changed when they allowed trial members to leave the station.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Apium wrote:When I did the trial, I just downloaded the launchpad and the launchpad downloaded all the files I needed for the trial. That must have changed when they allowed trial members to leave the station.

Since I don't have an account, I imagine I would be unable to do that...

*shrug*

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Kurke Aumea wrote:
Apium wrote:When I did the trial, I just downloaded the launchpad and the launchpad downloaded all the files I needed for the trial. That must have changed when they allowed trial members to leave the station.

*shrug*

I meant that was the only download. The link on the website downloaded a 15mb file that was the launchpad.

EDIT: Behave Waucod. That will set you one back. Now you need 3 more for 2000.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Apium wrote:
Kurke Aumea wrote:

*shrug*

I meant that was the only download. The link on the website downloaded a 15mb file that was the launchpad.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a link to just the launchpad?

The actual website for SWG seems a bit limited in regards to finding something like a link to the launchpad...

Edit:
I found a link to the Station Launcher, whatever the hell that is (I'm guessing it is the Launchpad replacement???). Let's see what it can do for me...

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Kurke Aumea wrote:
Apium wrote:
Kurke Aumea wrote:

*shrug*

You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a link to just the launchpad?

The actual website for SWG seems a bit limited in regards to finding something like a link to the launchpad...

Edit:
I found a link to the Station Launcher, whatever the hell that is (I'm guessing it is the Launchpad replacement???). Let's see what it can do for me...

I was under the impression SOE was consolidating their launchers. I'm not sure how that is going though.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm guessing this Station Launcher (Beta) is it. I can sign up for, download, and try every game they offer from the looks of it...

Edit:
Trying to connect to server...

Bahh damn thing doesn't want to connect...

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Bahh, I spend two days trying to get the game installed and Starsider is stuck loading right now...

I can't even connect to any of the other servers either...

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 am

because nobody likes you!!! or because its SOE and they're always down.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:because nobody likes you!!! or because its SOE and they're always down.

Actually, I got connected to a server to make my character last night, but I needed some sleep. So, tonight I create my character and try to relive my past on Starsider.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Hehe, well it must be strange to see everything again... Fort Oasis, maybe even where Nar Shadaa was. I haven't been to that location in a while myself.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Has the city changed at all since its founding? As in format, its obviously gotten larger.

Kalice- Master Architect