Yes I'm bored so I moved all the people arguing into here

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:55 am

Apium wrote:
Ri'Me wrote:It was in the GAT thread yesterday and got moved to here

no it wasn't. I would have left it in the GAT. Its from the "my gamertag" thread.

And the Wii barely outsold the 360, and this was the 360's second holiday season.

Actually, the last I heard was that the 360 sold more than the Wii (at least in the U.S.). The Wii just did so well compared to the PS3 that they think the Wii won the holiday. In fact, estimates show that Nintedo might have actually missed their Wii sales target due to supply issues. Still, there is no denying that the Wii had a good holiday. Still, I am really curious if the 360 will have sold 10 million consoles by the end of the year. I've see estimates that puts the sales figures damn close and rumor has it that MS has actually shipped well over 10 million, so it is entirely possible that MS sold 10 million.

And in response to Ri'Me, I think you underestimate the graphics argument. Yeah, a bunch of people look at the Wii and go, "Wow, those controls are cool" but there are a whole ot of other people that look at the Wii and the other next gen consoles and say, "Wow, the Wii graphics suck." I mean, if you could take the 360 hardware and pair it with the Wii controls, you would have a very killer console. I also think you are underestimating the selling potential of the Playstation brand. As much as I tend to despise the PS3's existence, the damn thing will sell just because it is a "Playstation." People could care less if it is a quality machine or not, but they'll buy it because of the name. Nintendo lost that luxory back with the N64.

Now, unless you see Nintendo take a very large and comanding lead in market share, you won't see companies develop for the Wii first and then port it to the other consoles. It just won't happen. Nintendo would have to have a commanding lead in order for this to happen. And by commanding, I mean the kind of lead they hold over Sony in the handheld market. In fact, the best thing Nintendo an do is go after the smaller, third party developers loking to make it big. Sticking with companies like EA and Capcom will really lead nowhere for the Wii simply because of the mindset of these companies. These companies will drive sales for the 360 and PS3, but they will just port games to the Wii. In order for the Wii to really excel, it will need exclusive games that aren't ports and games that continue to utilize the Wi controller and cause its use to evolve.

If the Wii can only offer ports and games never realize the Wiimote's potential, then the Wii will turn out to be just a novelty.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:32 pm

If the Wii didn't sell well its because you can't find the damn system anywhere. Supply shortage is an understatement, and if someone does have it, they want to sell it bundled with a ton of crap games for 600 bucks. Bastards.

All I want is my Wii and my Zelda, so I can swing my remote around and slay moblins. :wink:

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Apium wrote:
Ri'Me wrote:It was in the GAT thread yesterday and got moved to here

no it wasn't. I would have left it in the GAT. Its from the "my gamertag" thread.

And the Wii barely outsold the 360, and this was the 360's second holiday season.

Actually, the last I heard was that the 360 sold more than the Wii (at least i

If the Wii can only offer ports and games never realize the Wiimote's potential, then the Wii will turn out to be just a novelty.

u type too much

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Monthigos wrote:If the Wii didn't sell well its because you can't find the damn system anywhere. Supply shortage is an understatement, and if someone does have it, they want to sell it bundled with a ton of crap games for 600 bucks. Bastards.

All I want is my Wii and my Zelda, so I can swing my remote around and slay moblins. :wink:

Oddly, the day after Christmas I found about 4 or 5 Wii's at my local Best Buy.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Man. I'm stuck overseas and am at the mercy of the PX. :(

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:04 am

Monthigos wrote:Man. I'm stuck overseas and am at the mercy of the PX. :(

you think ur overseas try living in england i cant even contribute to these conversations most of the time cuz we have different sell:demand ratios and different outcome figures.

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 am

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=92108

Read em and weep! These are just Japanese sales figures though.. NA has yet to release their figures but it's safe to say Nintendo will likely have a commanding lead in it's home country.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Actually I saw the american sales today. And here they are:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/752/752861p1.html

360 came out on top.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:30 pm

ps3 in stores for retail!???? still available! BSSSS! i coulndt find a single one for retail they need to redo it.. but w/e the sales will increase this year as more games come out for it and Sony is able to put more systems out for people to buy

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Dragonus wrote:ps3 in stores for retail!???? still available! BSSSS! i coulndt find a single one for retail they need to redo it.. but w/e the sales will increase this year as more games come out for it and Sony is able to put more systems out for people to buy

Yes, it is believed that the 360 sold about 2 million units for the holiday season, the Wii sold about 1.8 million, and the PS3 sold about 750K units. It is also believed that the demand for the PS3 has leveled off as indicated by stores with plenty of PS3's available and the fact that PS3's are selling for below market value on eBay.

Now, that should not make anyone believe that Sony met the market demand for the PS3 in the U.S. IMO, they never met it, demand just went to the competition. Let's face it, when you have the highest price console on the market since the 3DO and you have severe supply shortages (as well as a lot of negative press), it really turns people away.