TeamSpeak Server up and running

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel
TeamSpeak Server up and running

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Great news everyone. I have established a TeamSpeak server for the guild. For those of you unfamiliar with TeamSpeak; it is a program that allows you to use a micorphone and headphones to communicate to other people using your voice and not your fingers. With our own server, members of the guild can log onto it and talk to each other verbally while playing SWG instead of always having to type in the chat boxes.

Server Name: Regal Imperial Defenders
Password: regal

(I will probably change the password to something more secure later on, but this will do for now)

The TeamSpeak client can be found at www.teamspeak.org under the downloads section. Make sure you download the client version and not the server version.

Once you download it, install the program. Unpon installation run the program and connect to the Regal Imperial Defenders server. To do this follow these directions:

1. Launch the program
2. Click the Connect tab at the top of the screen (first one starting from the left)
3. Click Connect in the drop down menu
4. In the new pop-up window, click the Web Server List tab
5. To update the list, click the Update button near the bottom of the window.
6. To filter the list to find our server, click the Change Filter button near the bottom of the window.
7. In the new window, click the option button to Show Clan Servers Only
8. Then click the option button to Show Servers with Passwords Only
9. Then click the option button to Show Servers Containing and in the text box type regal
10. Click OK
11. The list should update
12. Our server should be the only one in the list. Highlight it and hit the connect button. You should then connect to our server and be able to talk to others who are also signed in.

It is my recommendation that before you try to log into the server, you go into the program options and apply the options necessary to allow the program to function optimally. For instance, the mike can turn on by you pressing a key on the keyboard or when you catually start to speak. If you press a key, you need to assign one. If you want it to go off when you speak, you need to assign a voice activation level. There is an manual you can consult for assistance as well.

Also note, while a headset that includes a microphone is recommended, you can use TeamSpeak with your computer speakers and a secondary microphone. Of course, if you use this setup you may experience echoing. I encourage all to go and check this out. It will be a very new and exciting experience for the guild.

Just to let you all know, I am using my own computer for the server. So, power outages and some real life events may limit its availbility at certain times. I do not forsee this to be much of an issue though. Also, if no one uses this within the next week or two, I will turn off the server.

Please log on and enjoy.

Your friendly architect,
Kurke Aumea

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:37 am

Very nice Kurke. Hopefully this system becomes very useful with our guild.

bizob

Post by bizob » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:30 pm

very cool of you to set this up for us. im downloading the client now but i have to dig thru the closet for my old mic or go get a new headset. ill at least try the mic thing tonite for sure.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:34 pm

Dummy me, I completely missed an easier way to log onto the server. Here it is:

1. After starting up to program, click the Connection tab at the top of the window.
2. On the drop-down menu, click Quick Connect.
3. In the new window, input the following information:

Server Address: 65.25.19.6:8767
Nickname: Pick a nickname for yourself
Loging Name (optional): Leave blank
Password: regal

4. Click the Connect button. VIOLA!!! You are connected.

Hopefully this is easier and quicker for everyone.

Your friendly architect,
Kurke Aumea

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:09 pm

Hey Kurke...lol i'm on teamspeak and i heard ya. I bought a mic today after work but it's not working, i'm trying to get it installed but it's over my head. just don't want ya to think i was ignoring you.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:40 pm

Working on getting this thing to work for me...i will have it on at all times if i am online hehe :lol:

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:28 am

Hey all,

Me and Rakuda kind of had the first official test on the server. It works, but you might have to play with your sound settings to get it working correctly though. If you need help setting up your sound settings to get TeamSpeak to work, please leave a message on the boards here and myself or someone else who is tech savvy will help you out.

So far, so good though!!! Now, I would like to see how many people I can have on the server at once before it lags out or crashes (stress testing the server will determine how many people can be on the server at once).

By the way, TeamSpeak is designed to work in the background of your computer while running games. So those of you running older/slower computers shouldn't have much of a problem with lag while running SWG. If you end up with lag ater running TS, consult the manual for more information.

Your friendly master architect,
Kurke Aumea