New Computer

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel
New Computer

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 pm

I just bought a new computer.

I decided to go with a combo set at walmart....mainly to avoid frustration of figuring out how to put it together, it not working, etc. anyway i bought the Acer Aspire M1100, model is AM1100-B1410A

specs are
amd athlon 64x2 dual core, 2 gigs of ddr2 ram, 320gig hd, not sure about graphics card the one it came with is integrated, think there is a pci-e or agp slot inside. installing SWG right now....it's probably going to be a few hours before i can log in. (though i still have my other computer, no place for it yet)

hopefully SWG runs decent with the integrated graphics. going from a 2.80 intel pentium with 2 gigs of ddr ram and a 256mb pci graphics card to a 2.2 ghz athlon 64 dual core with 2 gigs ddr2 ram, not sure what the integrated video is like.

well looks like i'll be good i think. 256mb ddr2 graphics....tho anyone know how to tell if it's got a PCI-E or AGP slot without opening the case? (opened the case in the store before i left, it is either agp or pci-e, my friend that works there couldn't tell)
Apathy is Death.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Re: New Computer

Post by Kurke Aumea » Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Kioet wrote: not sure what the integrated video is like.

Painful probably. It depends on what kind of GPU that the motherboard is using for its integrated graphics. Since it is an AMD processor, I'm guessing it is an ATI GPU of some sorts. Still, you can probably pick up a decent PCI-e card for a good price to throw in it if the integrated graphics aren't that great.
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

yeah i am wanting to go with the 8800 GTS if it's pci-e.
Apathy is Death.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Thu May 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Kioet wrote:yeah i am wanting to go with the 8800 GTS if it's pci-e.

Just make sure you have a big enough power supply to support it.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu May 15, 2008 11:44 pm

yeah i got one...500 watts waiting for me to pick it up.

it is PCI-E. i opened the case and the slot matched my old computer, double checked in bios and it says something like 'PCIEx', PCI, integrated. on looking for which display adapter it should use first.

integrated graphics FTL. i was surprised i was able to load in, much less fight the rebels. (scored 3 kills!)

still, it sucks that i have to spend another $200-$250....i already spent $525ish (came with monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse) and it came with dvd burner and 320 gig hard drive so i can't really complain about it.

I won't be able to dual log until the beginning of next month if all goes well. (card installs and doesn't bring any issues up)

windows vista is kind of annoying when it comes to installing or downloading.
Apathy is Death.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:04 am

well shit. got the video card, and installed the psu and everything and now nothing beeps or comes on at all except for the fans. removed video card, same thing just the fans. i'm so pissed right now. and tired. been working on the fucking thing from 10:30pm-5am. my first problem was getting the bloody hard drive into a different bay, got it put in upside down on accident and that took forever and a day to get out had to deform the case a little...

then when the vidoe card and the thing wasn't turning on i shut down and tried to see what it was like without the cables connected. loud beep so i shut it down. no smell of smoke or anything so i don't think i fried anything. and i tried with cables and the fans come on bt still no video signals or beeps.

i'm using a 500 watt power supply. i've reseated the ram and now im just sitting here pissed off. thikn i will go to bed and hear no end of it tomorrow from my parents.

yay.

pissssssssssssssssssssss
Apathy is Death.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 am

What kind of beeping? How many beeps? And which fans are turning on? Just the case fans or is the fan on your heat sink turning on as well? Is the hard drive spinning at all?

I'd say check all of your power connections and make sure everything is in place. Make sure you have the ones plugged into the motherboard, your hard drive, and your video card (I'm guessing your new video card has a power connector on it). If the issue isn't a power connection problem, you need to determine what is causing the issue. Is it the video card? Is it your hard drive? Is it something else? If you stil your old video card in there, will the computer boot up properly? If you were using integrated video before, you may have to play with the jumpers on the motherboard to disable the old integrated video before your new video card will work.

There's a whole list of other things to try, but there's some stuff to start with.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:23 pm

no beeps at all. fans run, cd drive works, speakers work, no beeps at all. i have taken the card out and tried it that way and the same thing happens.

i tried putting in another hard drive from my old computer and it doesn't even power on. (that cmputer i was wondering why it wasn't working, thought it was the mobo, but guess it was the harddrive after all)

so may end up having to take stuff outta this computer and test it out on the old computer.

how unnecessarily frustrating this has come to be.

oh it only beeped that one time when i didn't have the power connected to the video card.
Apathy is Death.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Does anything come up on the screen? Is the hard drive spinning at all? If anything shows up on the screen, can you get into bios?

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm

nothing shows on screen. took the CR2032 battery out gonna leave it out for a few hours or until tomororw morning and then put it back and see if anything comes on.
Apathy is Death.