Official Banner Workshop

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:21 pm

have the windu one way better :D

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 pm

I like the one you have now, and everyone check out the rest of Part one of Kalice's story
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:44 pm

Tele, please no animated banners. They are really cool, but their file size is a bit big. Get them under 1MB and I'll let you go with them. Here's a suggestion though. Instead of animated banners, make some animated avatars. They should be smaller in file size and won't be as annoying.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:54 pm

MAKE ME A GREVIOUS ONE PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST NOT HIM GETTING PWNED!!!!

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:03 pm

whats the problem with a big file size?
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Maybe make it so only important people, aka me, get animated banners :P

j/k

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:53 pm

hey Waucod is totally important without me you would never have had Phow!!!!

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:58 pm

LexxYovel wrote:Maybe make it so only important people, aka me, get animated banners :P

j/k

:| :!: :shock: :cry: :x :o :(

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Apium wrote:whats the problem with a big file size?

Website Design Ettiquette 101: Make your web site accessible to everyone.

In other words, one 1MB image won't kill you. When you have a dozen of them, navigating the forums will be a nightmare. Picture downloading a decent sized video or a large MP3 file off the internet (we'll say somewhere around 10MB to 12MB. How long does it take you to download the file? Do you want it to take you that long to download just banners?

On that note, it should be quite easy to tweak the GIF file to get it under 1MB. You can shorten the length of it or remove some of the colo0ring options. GIFs are limited in their capabilities, but you can keep them small. For instance, are the images that make up each frame of the image a JPEG or BMP file? If it is a BMP file, that will balloon your final GIF quite easily. JPEGs are much more flexible in terms of their quality. Crank down the quality and when you string them together to make your GIF, your end file size should be smaller.

Another option would be to just make the banner smaller in its dimensions. Personally, I am not a fan of the huge banners. I used to be, but the more I cruise the internet the less I like big ass banners. If you shrink their dimensions, the file size will shrink as well.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:27 pm

its so close to 1mb though :cry: cut me some slack
I wont make anyone else any i just wanna be special dammit

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:01 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with the file size. Once its downloaded once it stays in the cache. Its not like you're releasing 12 new animated banners a day...

The banners are a bit large, but I like how everyone's follows a similar theme. Besides, I just made mine. :D

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Monthigos wrote:I personally see nothing wrong with the file size. Once its downloaded once it stays in the cache. Its not like you're releasing 12 new animated banners a day...

The banners are a bit large, but I like how everyone's follows a similar theme. Besides, I just made mine. :D

Just wait and see how many Tele can release in a day...

Yes, I'm well aware it will go stick itself in cache, but it is still a headache. Seriously, you look at a page with nothing but animated banners and someone will have a siezure!!! OK, probably not, but it is annoying to see that many animated pictures on one page.

Like I said, I'll still let you use them if you can keep the file size down. Keeping an image under 1MB is not an outrageous request, especially on a GIF.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Monthigos wrote:I personally see nothing wrong with the file size. Once its downloaded once it stays in the cache. Its not like you're releasing 12 new animated banners a day...

Just wait and see how many Tele can release in a day...

Yes, I'm well aware it will go stick itself in cache, but it is still a headache. Seriously, you look at a page with nothing but animated banners and someone will have a siezure!!! OK, probably not, but it is annoying to see that many animated pictures on one page.

Like I said, I'll still let you use them if you can keep the file size down. Keeping an image under 1MB is not an outrageous request, especially on a GIF.

Hahah youve got a point, I can crank out one of the normal banners in under 3 minutes, took around 1h to make my first animated one, since I just screwed around with the program till I figured it out, but now I can make new ones in around 10 mins.

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:29 pm

woot jabba!

lol trekky bestiality *waucod close ur eyes*

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:48 pm

Get rid of jabba I dont wanna see that every time you post :shock: