The Big Question

A place for the Regal Executive Council to share and vote on confidential issues.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Arev
Colonel
The Big Question

Post by Arev » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:59 am

This topic is bound to come up sooner or later by one of us or a member:

Will RID transfer to The Old Republic?

Now, we don't have to answer the question at present, but it is something that should be in the back of our minds. I've said on the official TOR forums, that even though TOR isn't SWG2, it is the "spiritual successor" because it's the second Star Wars MMORPG to be released.

We don't know much about the game. So, it's not fair to jump to conclusions about moving. For example, on the 21st, I thought to myself (speculating this notion of transferring), "Would RID be forced to join the Sith Empire because of our Imperial name?" To answer that: Yes, based on our name, but cosmetically the Galactic Republic in TOR looks very much like the Galactic Republic in the Clone Wars, which looks very similar to the Galactic Empire with its wannabe Stormtroopers/Clonetroopers.

While you're thinking about the potential of RID moving, also think about what RID represents. Do we represent the Galactic Empire or to represent a generic "imperial" authority (i.e. the bad guys)?

On a concluding remark, I don't RID can work on two separate games currently. It's an all or nothing deal.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:40 am

I don't quite agree with all with the all or nothing deal. I'm considering playing the new Old Republic MMO, but I'm here with SWG until it's forcefully shut down.

So RID is here to stay in SWG, but I am open to the option of also operating RID in the new MMO. I realize how much of a strain this might be on myself, but we must take the following into consideration:

1.) We aren't exactly sure when the new MMO will come out.
2.) We aren't exactly sure how guilds will work in the new MMO.
3.) Player cities likely won't exist in the new MMO, making operating a guild there "easier" in certain respects.
4.) We don't know too much about the new MMO to determine what sort of purpose the guild should pursue, and to what extent.

In actuality, I'm not even sure if the guild should be Republic or Sith. I'm learning towards Sith, but I have a thing for serving for the "legitimate" galactic government. It's something we can consider as more details become available, but keep up the brainstorming! This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, so thanks for bringing it up.

Of course, given the leadership strain, I would likely set up a "core-council" to deal with major leadership issues, it would consist of whatever RID's played in SWG.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:16 am

I agree that it is not an all or nothing deal. I don't see RID dying until SWG is shutdown; however, I don't think RID will be able to maintain its former prestige. On the positive side, if at least ten RID members transfer to "The Old Republic" I can see the new RID growing quickly. Launches are pretty hectic, and if we have some organization from day one, I see us being an important guild in the long (and short) run.

As far as what side to choose. I am Imperial because I believe (in a roleplay sense) that the Empire stands for peace and justice in a chaotic galaxy. I know we don't have very much information, but the equivalent of the Empire in "The Old Republic" seems to be the Republic itself and not the Sith empire.

EDIT: I noticed today that the official website was up, found here: http://www.swtor.com/ . I read some of the lore, and it reassures me in choosing the Galactic Republic instead of the Sith Empire. The Sith seem like the Rebel terrorists; they only care for anarchy and chaos, nothing for order and peace.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:21 pm

I can assure you that if I have the time and money, I'll be playing The Old Republic on the day it is released. I've kind of given up SWG due to real life issues and the fact that the SWG dev team continues to ignore the aspects of the game that I play. But, something about this new game excites me. True, it will be lacking a lot of the features in SWG that I enjoy, but I'm also all about trying a new SW MMO.

I agree that there is no all or nothing decision. A time will come when SWG no longer exists, but until then I think RID still belongs there. Of course, there's no reason why we couldn't exist in both games. Assuming I can play the game full time and the game is actually decent, I will gladly help RID grow and prosper in TOR.
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now