Squads and/or Official Guild Ranking System?

A place for the Regal Executive Council to share and vote on confidential issues.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
Squads and/or Official Guild Ranking System?

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Well,

With the recruitment of Jo'taur and Artimaes, I've been receiving a few suggestions regarding re-doing some rank systems in RID. Both their ideas keep the Council intact, and involve forming several squads with a sort of "Captain" in command. Both Jo'taur and Artimaes have very similar ideas.

This is the mail suggestion that AJo'taur sent me. Artimaes will also be sending a separate outline. I'm not going to say I agree with all of it, but I see no harm in a healthy discussion -- since he took the time to write this.:

Ranks

Have a guild ranking system (seperate from the GCW system) in which guild member are promoted due to earning the rank through participation, leadership skills, combat and RP.

Squads

Form 8 man squads with ranking members in charge of a squad to enable the squad to train and fight together. Would work well for rp, pve and pvp.

Elite Squad

For those that are dedicated to defending the city, taking the Weapons Depot or other events, form an elite squad in which the members are authorized to wear the black armor just for elite missions (think Special Forces, Rangers ect).

Space

Comprise a pob crew to man a command ship and have them train and RP together as well as pve and pvp events.

Perhaps a squadron (Elite) comprised of the RGI for missions simular to the ground SF team.

City

Place bases in the cities and have the squads defend them and the city. Invite rebel guilds to attack (mature guilds with agreed upon rules.)

Make defending the guild cities as well as major Invasion cities part of the duties of the command.

By creating such guild events and a guild ranking system members will feel as if they are accomplishing something, enjoy gaming together as a guild and a command and get a more immersive feel as a whole. This will give members reason to work together, interact more and have plenty to do along with instances, ect...

More later lol

I think having a clear in-guild rank system, independent of game mechanics would be nice. It would give members something to work towards, and I could make use of the guild ranking system/titles.

However, the Council would still be present.

Red-Dawn
Corporal

Re: Squads and/or Official Guild Ranking System?

Post by Red-Dawn » Sat May 01, 2010 9:35 am

Looks fine for me ...
Ranks is fun when you RP and have guild title ranks helps
I agree with ranks

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat May 01, 2010 4:39 pm

That brings back memories...

:roll:

Ramd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ramd » Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Apauck
Lance Corporal

Post by Apauck » Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 pm

I am okay with this. I do not, though, want this to have any bearing on RP. I think it is a great idea to get the guild together on PvE and PvP, but I am trying to organize the part of the RP group like this and I don't this to disrupt my efforts and it would isolate rather than unify the two parts of the guild.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun May 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Yeah, well much of the system doesn't need to have a direct RP-affiliation (such as the elite squads).

Though perhaps a guild-wide set of ranks should be enacted? As I understand it, we've adopted and assigned roleplay ranks to members already. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to make these official titles for members?

Apauck
Lance Corporal

Post by Apauck » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

I am not against making titles for the RP members. I just thinks that puting the RP guys in a squad or two because thats what RP dictates would seperate them from the PvPers. I think mixing them up would allow cohesion.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun May 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Your right actually. The original proposal segregates them.

Jo'taur and Artimaes deliberated just recently and revised their proposal. Artimaes proposed that instead of designating squads based on PvP, RP, etc, there should be squads based on expertise. He sent me a PM, which I will post here later.

Basically, their idea is to have four platoons: Intel, Public Affairs, Combat, and Supply, each headed by someone. I believe with this idea, no squad would be exclusive to any particular playstyle, whether it be PvP or RP.

The whole concept is still in infancy, but I will post his PM later so that we can get a general idea of what they're proposing.

And that's right Kurke, it brings back memories :P

Apauck
Lance Corporal

Post by Apauck » Sun May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I see where its going.

Red-Dawn
Corporal

Post by Red-Dawn » Mon May 03, 2010 10:49 am

The idea of the 4 groups is great. I vote for this :-)

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Mon May 03, 2010 4:46 pm

This is starting to look eerily familiar... ;)

I agree with 2pauck's comments as well.

I talked with Ghorf a couple months back and made some comments about the Council-style setup we have. He pointed out that the chief problem is that no Councilman has distinct responsibilities. We see this when it comes to recruitment and forming an activity schedule. On the other hand, the division-style setup, while great in-theory, has its own problems. I would prefer to see a Council/Division-style setup.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue May 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Out of curiosity (Directed to Amodeus and Apauck), what is the rank hierarchy you use for members?

For example, it starts at Private probably, and ends somewhere. But is there a clearly defined list of ranks you use? I'm mostly interested, because I'd like to compare it with the ranks Artimaes provided me.

And your right Amodeus. A division system can get complicated on one hand, yet a Council-only system can be viewed as being too simple and generic, with no clear-cut responsibilities

Artimaes is starting to believe that a "Roleplay" platoon of sorts is neccesary. I'm mixxed on this. On one hand, I don't want to split the guild in half, but on the other hand, there may be some elements of our set-up which don't conform to Roleplay, and it may work best to have separate platoons.

Personally, I think an Intel, PR, Combat and Supply platoon as sufficient. In the end, much of it may not have much bearing on an individuals roleplay. However, I would rather like it if the guild comformed to a single "rank hierarchy." Like Private to Lieutenant or whatever. But that's just me.

Anyways, in-game, I will be running a census of sorts, to see where the interests of the majority of the guild lie. And we can use this information to determine the best course of action.

I'll be meeting with Jo'taur and Artimaes on Thursday. You folks are of course welcome to attend if able, to discuss this guild reformatting.

Apauck
Lance Corporal

Post by Apauck » Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 pm

If we do add a Roleplay battalion then I don't think it would be too different in now as far as dividing the two, but I am against do so. As far as ranks, in the RP we have two Lieutenants, then a Sergeant and the rest are Privates, Lance Corporals and Corporals. I though don't want to create too much of animosity among the groups by having too many ranks. Maybe a division lead by a Sergeant and the rest LCpls or something. I do think their should be something to strive for with ranks. Something that activity in the guild will help raise your rank and the more active the higher your rank. So what I said previous may work with a Sgt. leader and 3 ranks in between. New members are given a private rank and after a probationary period can be promoted to LCpl. and those that show exceptional activity/prowess are given the rank of Cpl. The actual ranks may varry because groups like the Combat battalion will probably be exceptionally large. Possibly a Sergeant Major lead and have smaller sub-divisions. Food for thought.

P.S. Will not make the Thu. meeting or Sat. guild meeting due to a Band trip to CO.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Wed May 05, 2010 5:13 pm

There are many reasons that I don't like the concept of a "roleplay platoon", but it can summed up in one way: He/they are attempting to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist and, frankly, ends up causing division.

I do not want to see the PA divided into "RP" and "RP Lite". Creating a ranking system will cause great confusion because people will wonder if those ranks can be used ICly or not. It's bad enough we have the GCW ranking system, I don't have to see another set of ranks to use/disregard as well.

The ideal ranking system that supports RP is one that doesn't use the same ranking system as what RPers use to reduce confusion.

Leader -> Council -> Veteran Members -> Members -> New Members

Apauck
Lance Corporal

Post by Apauck » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 pm

An idea I am pulling from my other guild (squad in that game). How everything is divided up is there is a CO or Guild leader. Under that is the Battalion CO's and then Battalion XO's and then everyone is placed in one of the battalions of their choosing. Now that doesn't transfer over exactly because we are keeping the council seats.

Just have Guild Leader -> Council Members -> Battalion CO's -> Battalion XO's -> Battalion members.

The XO's job is to help the CO and represent the CO in Officer meetings if the CO cannot make the meeting and give their input into the needs and wants of their battalion. It is also a nice title to give to outstanding squadmates that deserve recognition but are not as experienced as others.