When to say no

A place for the Regal Executive Council to share and vote on confidential issues.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Arev
Colonel
When to say no

Post by Arev » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:56 am

For a while I considered ourselves a bit liberal with our admission policy, but considering the number of loopholes most recruits have to go through to join, it's a fair balance.

Until now.

Recently, a Lord-Nihilus contacted me in-game. He mentioned he registered on the forums. I confirmed this and required he fill out an application. He claimed he did. I confirmed he did not. But, I noticed something particular about him--his English was off. Now, he was from Europe-Infinity, and we've had plenty of non-native English speakers before, but when I asked where he was from he said, "USA, Indiana". Ok, so I asked if English was his first language, and he said it was. Then, I gave him a riddle. The riddle I gave him was about Gary, Indiana. Everyone from the Midwest knows about Gary--especially Indianans. So, he's either 1. Not from Indiana, or 2. He's no where near 20.

I can't tolerate liars...or butchers of the English language. GuildChat is bad enough already. We don't need more problems. Everyone that wears the RID tag reflects on us collectively. I would ask that you keep this in mind.

I recommend not approving his membership.

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 am

i dont really agree with you here arev

This person has some problems with their English, i think we can all see that they are having some problems communicating with you maybe , but they seem to be doing quite well.

The person has told you they live in Indiana but you are asking them area related questions regarding Indiana. This may seem like im being awkward but maybe the person you are speaking to is from a different country and they have moved to Indiana to live as a migrant to be somewhere different in the world ?

Now you might be right about this person and you might not be right about them but admitting them to the guild for a trial cant be too destructive to the guild can it ? Im sure if you get to know the person better you might find a lot of different reasons or answers to your questions ?

I will be honest here, there are some people in the guild i wont be playing star wars with. I dont really want to point peoples names out but if i hint at the guilds starship roleplay part of the guild you probably know who i mean anyway.

We all play star wars how we want to play it dont we ?

Do we all get on with everyone or play with everyone in the guild ? Probably not Should we ? Not if we don't want to

This person does seem at odds with their description of themselves but does it matter or is there a reason why ? Maybe we should give him a chance ?

the most terriblest (my new word) part of your post is the intimate conversation you were having with Isuk's afk message :P I feel so betrayed
your late night chat used to be all mine sigh........... im sorry arev we are over :cry:
Has seen lexx's sabre and it was glowing pink............again

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am

auren wrote:i dont really agree with you here arev

This person has some problems with their English, i think we can all see that they are having some problems communicating with you maybe , but they seem to be doing quite well.

The person has told you they live in Indiana but you are asking them area related questions regarding Indiana. This may seem like im being awkward but maybe the person you are speaking to is from a different country and they have moved to Indiana to live as a migrant to be somewhere different in the world ?

Now you might be right about this person and you might not be right about them but admitting them to the guild for a trial cant be too destructive to the guild can it ? Im sure if you get to know the person better you might find a lot of different reasons or answers to your questions ?

I will be honest here, there are some people in the guild i wont be playing star wars with. I dont really want to point peoples names out but if i hint at the guilds starship roleplay part of the guild you probably know who i mean anyway.

Do we all get on with everyone or play with everyone in the guild ? Probably not Should we ? Not if we don't want to

This person does seem at odds with their description of themselves but does it matter or is there a reason why ? Maybe we should give him a chance ?

the most terriblest (my new word) part of your post is the intimate conversation you were having with Isuk's afk message :P I feel so betrayed
your late night chat used to be all mine sigh........... im sorry arev we are over :cry:

I totally agree with you Auren.
We should give him a trial.
Maybe he has some learning trouble. WE don't know and can't judge that.

I'm free for you Auren ;)

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

Daiho wrote:
auren wrote:i dont really agree with you here arev

I totally agree with you Auren.
We should give him a trial.
Maybe he has some learning trouble. WE don't know and can't judge that.

I'm free for you Auren ;)

/hug daiho

Okay we will elopes to fort nar shaddar then :wink:

Arev i have thought about it a bit and i think it isnt our right to know everything about someone
but i do think great friendships lead to finding out more about people.

can we judge someone before we know them ?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am

I agree we shouldn't be too liberal in our recruitment policy. If he wants to join RID, he needs to register on our forums and post an application like everyone else. There are exceptions however. Some members cannot use our forums because their parents prevent them from doing so, but since he's 20 it shouldn't be a problem

He may live in Indiana, but like Auren pointed out he may not be native to that region. Though him saying English is his first language, when it clearly appears not to be... seems a bit odd. Perhaps he didn't understand what you meant, but I'm just filling in the blanks here.

Like I said though, if he wants to join he'll need an application. So I'll probably reserve my judgment for how he fills out the application and how he does at the interview before making a final decision regarding his recruitment.

Ramd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ramd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 pm

definitely not from Indiana. I'd look into him a bit more.

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 am

Ramd wrote:definitely not from Indiana. I'd look into him a bit more.

i just know now i have defended him
he will turn out to be a fruit loop

:P

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 am

Ramd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ramd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:03 pm

that stuff about the Sign Language isn't true, I've known people who were deaf, and they could write perfectly.

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:53 pm

I think we should give him a chance. I know he has difficulties to communicate but maybe he just wanna have fun like us ....

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:35 am

Ramd wrote:that stuff about the Sign Language isn't true, I've known people who were deaf, and they could write perfectly.

i dont know now i find myself wondering

/agree ramd

do we vote ??

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 am

I think it's a bit odd. I dont see how being deaf makes you bad at writing english... I mean he can read, right? Especially after years of living in the US as he claims to have been.

He could be lying or telling the truth but it's hard to say. I suppose we could just follow through with the interview, but maybe having at least one of you guys assisting me or doing a vote may be in order.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:59 am

He wouldn't be the first deaf person to be RID. Sihivus is deaf (since birth) and her English is just fine. She might make a few mistakes here and there with verb tenses, but no where near as bad as this guy.

It may be hard to catch the guy, I don't see him on until around 2 am CST. And if it were me, I'd say 'no' right off the bat.

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:21 pm

I've talk to him earlier and I will support his app.

Maybe he's different from us but that is not a reason to accept him. He just wanna have fun with a bunch of guys :D

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm sure he does. He doesn't mean to be a hindrance or burden, but we know his story, Joe Imperial or Charlie Rebel doesn't. So, if goes out there, and starts talking in chat with non-RID, or if he and another non-Councilman are in a PUG, he may embarrass the other RID.

Unfortunately, it always comes back to PR...and me being that late-night Councilman on that has to deal with issues. Hehe. :D