Removing AutoComplete with Firefox?

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
Removing AutoComplete with Firefox?

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Does anyone know how to remove the AutoComplete feature with Firefox?

What I mean is that whenever I use any search feature on Firefox, it gives me a list of suggestions of things I typed before. It's really annoying, and I just want to get rid of the whole drop-down thing.

Thanks.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Translation:

When I got my computer repaired, they found some files I didn't want other people to know about. So, I'd like to prevent this from happening again. Please help...I'll share some of those files with you in return.

Did you try setting it to always clear your Private Data? Or rather, are you attempting to clear other search topics that you yourself have typed or the suggestions that FireFox provides?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:38 pm

This AutoComplete thing was never around before they fixed my computer, so not sure why it's suddenly appearing. I've got no problem with "suggested" entries that Yahoo or Google gives by default, but it's the previous search entry suggestions which annoy me. I know how to clear the list, but it just gets built back up again, and that's extra annoying if the entries will be redundant to me in the future.

But it's not just the search engines, it's more about how it knows and suggests usernames at certain forums. For example, search entries will show up when trying to type in my username. This also could be a security risk, if I'm not mistaken (I think I read that about AutoComplete).

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 pm

LexxYovel wrote:This AutoComplete thing was never around before they fixed my computer, so not sure why it's suddenly appearing. I've got no problem with "suggested" entries that Yahoo or Google gives by default, but it's the previous search entry suggestions which annoy me. I know how to clear the list, but it just gets built back up again, and that's extra annoying if the entries will be redundant to me in the future.

But it's not just the search engines, it's more about how it knows and suggests usernames at certain forums. For example, search entries will show up when trying to type in my username. This also could be a security risk, if I'm not mistaken (I think I read that about AutoComplete).

Sounds like somebody got an upgrade by an IE hating IT guy... lol

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 pm

This is the reason I use two different browsers 8)
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Like Explorer? lol

I used to use Explorer, but it had issues with pages needed to be refreshed all the time.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Tools -> Options -> Privacy Tab -> uncheck Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:28 pm

LexxYovel wrote:Like Explorer? lol

I used to use Explorer, but it had issues with pages needed to be refreshed all the time.

In my opinion, AOL explorer is the best for...yea, you know...., but I normally use either firefox or IE.

Kalice- Master Architect

Bovive
Colonel

Re: Removing AutoComplete with Firefox?

Post by Bovive » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 pm

LexxYovel wrote:Does anyone know how to remove the AutoComplete feature with Firefox?

What I mean is that whenever I use any search feature on Firefox, it gives me a list of suggestions of things I typed before. It's really annoying, and I just want to get rid of the whole drop-down thing.

Thanks.

Yah, cause you don't want anyone seeing that you searched for "Ewok Spanking Wookiees" or "The Bantha Show"

Apium
Colonel

Re: Removing AutoComplete with Firefox?

Post by Apium » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:05 am

Bovive wrote:
LexxYovel wrote:Does anyone know how to remove the AutoComplete feature with Firefox?

Thanks.

Yah, cause you don't want anyone seeing that you searched for "Ewok Spanking Wookiees" or "The Bantha Show"

lol I find that concept oddly appealing.

Kalice- Master Architect

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks Vincen, that works :D

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm

I mainly use Firefox because of an add-on called Foxmarks. It basically stores all my bookmarks on a server, so I can keep them synced between my two computers. Its also handy for when I reinstall my operating system.

Originally the reason was because of the tabbed browsing, but IE has that now.