The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Apium
Colonel
The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

Post by Apium » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 pm

Try to keep all updates, discussions, news articles, opinions, and the like within this thread please. I don't plan on strictly enforcing it, but having a single thread makes discussion easier, and because it is my thread, I won't feel so bad editing things if the need presents itself.

Thank you to Arev for posting the following links:

SWTOR Announcement: Available at GameSpot

SWTOR Main Site

SWTOR Starsider Thread

SWTOR Screenshots: At SWTOR.com

Live Web Blog: Quotes are from Devs[/b]
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm

How do you guys feel about the art style? I believe both the stylized art style and the other one (I think I've heard it called 'picture graphics') have their advantages. The environments, buildings, and objects in games like WoW (which uses a very similiar art style to SWTOR) are fantastic and I really enjoy exploring. It is like walking through an art gallery, and indeed the environments look painted. This type of art style also increases the longevity of the game. SWG character models still look great, but some of the objects are starting to show their age. The huge downside of the stylized art for me is the character models. WoW isn't that bad, but I just don't feel anything for my character; unlike, SWG where I really care about my character and how he looks. I think I'd be happy with either one, just please, please do away with those huge lightsabers.

PS: The buildings in SWTOR look amazing.

Kalice- Master Architect

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm

yeah it looks really awesome!!! i hope the music in it is great. :) swg music i get scratchys and loops at weird sections it's annoying so i always have it off, put in the SOTE soundtrack instead, or force commander. :)
Apathy is Death.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:06 pm

(Reserved Post for Tomorrow (Too lazy today (By the way, how's everything going Apium/Kioet'? (Of course you're doing fine, I just like doing parentheses within parenthesis (You know Lexx, the time wasted on writing these could be used for something useful (Yeah... you're right))))).

Waucod
Warrant Officer II

Post by Waucod » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:26 pm

LexxYovel wrote:(Reserved Post for Tomorrow (Too lazy today (By the way, how's everything going Apium/Kioet'? (Of course you're doing fine, I just like doing parentheses within parenthesis (You know Lexx, the time wasted on writing these could be used for something useful (Yeah... you're right))))).

Been out drinking maybe? :D

This looks very interesting though, video was kind of hard to watch though with all the music in the backround. Hope that they can really make it different for every character though.
2030 + however many I have now...

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm

lol everything is good, i'm still alive!!!
Apathy is Death.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 pm

Okay, well before I go on, I want to make a few things clear:

1.) I will lead RID and play SWG until the end. So when this new game comes out, I'll still be here in SWG, as I hope many others will be.

2.) We have no idea when this new game is going to come out, it could be years, so we've got time to discuss this.

With that said, I will likely play this new game upon its release, in addition to SWG, if it is still up and running. Of course, it depends on many factors.

I am open to the idea of running RID in the new MMO. It will be something I'd like to form shortly after release, so that we can get the upper hand. If SWG is still around upon its release, I'll obviously have a lot to deal with. So I'll have a sort of "executive council" to deal with guild issues in the new MMO.

This is of course thinking ahead... it could be a while before it comes out. But while we're at it, what faction does everyone want to pursue?

We had some discussion about this on the officers forum. We were saying that joining the Sith would be more true to what we are now, but that supporting the Republic will be more akin to supporting the legal government (AKA Empire in SWG). I guess it all depends on how they look.

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Well, my views of the factions are simple. I am a member of the Empire in SWG because it is the duly elected form of government (many thanks Jar-Jar). Yes, we have a Sith Lord in our midsts, along with his apprentice, but really, they are just trying to keep the galaxy together in this time of tribulation caused by the terrorist "Rebel Alliance". In the time of TOR, the Galactic Republic was the duly elected form of government, while the Sith attempt to cause havoc. Therefore I would personally join the republic. My character lives only to serve the people, blah blah blah. But it also depends on how the game turns out and stuff as far as classes and character development is concerned.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:36 pm

i'm not sure which side i will join...republic seems cool,i really just want to see what classes there are.
Apathy is Death.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:24 pm

What kind of stuff they wear is kinda important to me too :lol:

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 pm

The Sith (the force wielding sith at least) seem like they are going to be pretty badass. Still, I am leaning towards the Republic. I'm sure I will make a Sith alt on another server to check out their story (and to unleash some lightning on the good guys). At least there being a large number of force wielders fits into the story this time and I'm sure Bioware will do a better job than SOE; although, I will probably go for the healer class. I can't believe this game was just announced last week. I'm ready to play it!

Kalice- Master Architect

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:54 pm

I added us here (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=154007#post154007), so we can officially be one of the first guilds in SWTOR.

Kalice- Master Architect

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:15 am

If we go Sith we can keep the RID name - I read an article that the Sith is referred to as the Sith Empire (with an emperor of course). I wouldn't consider the Sith strictly as chaotic - from the KOTOR games they seem to be an emulation of the TOS Empire. To me its more of opposing factions. From what I read in my magazine you can even be a 'Light Sith' if the choices you make land you in the good guy role.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Bioware released some new screenshots. I think they look very good. I mean they definitely aren't finished, but I really like where they are going with the art and graphics.

Here is the link:
http://www.swtor.com/news/article/media-update-20081128

Kalice- Master Architect

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:06 pm

simply looks amazing