The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:03 am

haha, I loved the website. My city has such a large population, but because we are a suburb no one knows us.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Hoow about a game of random stuff trivial pursuit? Ok I don't care what you say to that cause we're doing it anyway I go first.

How much weight can a sparro carry?

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:11 pm

5 pounds!

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:03 am

You don't know what type of sparro I meant!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:44 pm

nope :P

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:23 pm

OK, I found this nice Onkyo surround sound system (7.1) after a little browsing. It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but looksl ike it might be worth the money. Anyone have some thoughts on it???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009N ... udio-video

Imagine playing Episode III on that in my little 12ft X 12ft bedroom!!!

Here's the smaller version of the aboce Onkyo system. This one is the 5.1 version and is a lot more in my price range. I'll probably get the 5.1 version because I think I might get kicked out of the house with the 7.1 system... lol

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Ho ... tDetail.do

Note: There is a 6.1 version, but I can't find as much information on it as I can the 5.1 and 7.1 systems.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Why is it always .1? What does that mean?

Anyways, all the systems are awesome, and I would be jealous if you bought any of them :P I really don't know any of this stuff that well, but I think getting the 7.1 would be a bit overboard, as how oftenw ould you use it?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Leviathen wrote:Why is it always .1? What does that mean?

Anyways, all the systems are awesome, and I would be jealous if you bought any of them :P I really don't know any of this stuff that well, but I think getting the 7.1 would be a bit overboard, as how oftenw ould you use it?

OK, when you see something and it says 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1, the first number means the number of satellite speakers and the second number means the number of subwoofers (at least that what I've always thought it meant). So, in a 5.1 surround sound system, there are 5 satellite speakers and one subwoofer.

So far, I am leaning toward the Onkyo 5.1 system because it is cheap. The big downside is the fact that it doesn't have component inputs/outputs on it. That's not too big of a deal considering the only thing I have hooked up via component cables right now is my Xbox 360 and it supports digital optical audio. Lucky for me, the Onkyo 5.1 system has a digital optical audio input. Still, I wanted to start using the component outputs on my DVD player.

Now, I have a question for anyone with electronic knowledge. The main difference between composite (RCA) and component inputs/outputs is the video connection. Composite has the yellow cable for video, but component has the red, green, and blue cables for video. Both composite and component have a red and white cable for audio. Now, if I were to take a guess, I'm guessing these red and white audio cables are basically the same for both types of connections. I am assuming this is true because on the component connection for my 360, there are 5 wires. Three of them are the red, green, and blue for the video and the other two are the red and white for the audio.

If this is true, then I can still run component video from my DVD player as my TV has two component inputs on it. I hope this is true as I prefer the video quality of component over composite a hell of a lot. Not to mention that playing DVDs in my 360, while beautiful looking, is a bit of a hassle. Seriously, the 360 was meant for gaming, not playing my DVDs. That is why I have a DVD player.

Hmmm.... There is this really nice JBL setup I found too. Bad thing is I have to find a 7.1 capable receiver for cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M ... udio-video

Note: I just discovered that my DVD player has both a digital optical output and a digital coaxial output. The 5.1 Onkyo system has one digital optical input and one digital coaxial input. Looks like the 5.1 system might be the better choice considering cost and living situation. (Some days, I really hate living at home, but if I moved out I wouldn't be able to afford nice stuff like this) Sweetness!!!

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:46 am

Well I was reading that I decided hey this is really stupid I'm gonna do something random and I wen tback to the first couple GAT pages and I'm gonna add something to the list of conversations this is what it is like in my GIFTED Geography class.

Me:Hey Person #1(not gonna use names) did you know Abraham Lincoln is still alive.
Person #1: No he's not
Person #2: Yes he is hes really old and crinkly.
Me: Yeah and he moved to Bouvet island so few people see him.
Person 1#: Are you serious?
Me: Yeah
Person #1: Cool I'm gonna go meet him one day.

Yeah this actually did happen one time and it worked until my bipolar teacher told him that Old Abe was dead.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 pm

OK...

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:27 pm

.....thumbs up? :shock:

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:19 pm

did he get shot or something?

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:32 pm

yeah by the great John Wilkes Boothe

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:40 pm

What's with no one liking presidents? O_o;

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:47 pm

Colbert likes the president