The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

matron

Post by matron » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:11 pm

lol ur post count is the same as me and lexx's graduation year 8)

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Bizob, I was thinking the same thing about that computer... it is not a gaming machine.

And Kurke, I agree with you on how easy it is to make you own PC. The one I have currently is custom made and I recommend it to ANYONE. Even if you don't know how to do it, the cost of getting someone to put together is tiny in comparrison to what you will save.

You can custom tailor the computer to what you need, pick out whatever case you want, and you will save tonnes.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Leviathen wrote:Bizob, I was thinking the same thing about that computer... it is not a gaming machine.

And Kurke, I agree with you on how easy it is to make you own PC. The one I have currently is custom made and I recommend it to ANYONE. Even if you don't know how to do it, the cost of getting someone to put together is tiny in comparrison to what you will save.

You can custom tailor the computer to what you need, pick out whatever case you want, and you will save tonnes.

The one really cool thing about building your own computer is that you earn a new respect for computers and how they work. It suddenly turns from green circuit boards to specific computer parts that al serve a specific purpose. Even better, building computers can be a nice little hobby if you are in need of one. Heck, you can even make a nice little livving off of building them.

My complete respect goes to the true case modders out there. To me, that is the ultimate in computer assembly. I'm not talking "Let's cut a whole in the case and put some plexiglass in there." I'm talking mods that are truly creative. I've seen some wicked mods over the years too. I've seen a fully functional computer that fit within an old NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) case. I've also seen a working computer inside a scale model of the Millenium Falcon. I still think to most creative one is a custom Matrix mod. The mod was basically one of the embryo capsules from the "fields" in the first Matrix movie. It was completely functional and wicked cool to look at.

Of course, modding isn't only restricted to PCs. I've seen some nifty Xbox mods too. One of the most recent ones was a Xbox 360 mod where they spray painted the case to look like the character Master Cheif from the Halo games. Where MC's visor is, the modder put in orange colored plexiglass so that you could see the inside of the 360. It's pretty cool. It wasn't the most challenging mod I've ever seen, but it is slick as hell. I need to find a picture of it.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:16 pm

I have never seen any PC cases modified to that extent, sounds awesome though.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:37 am

Here's some PC case mods.

Here's some console mods:

^^^ Game Cube mod

^^^ Xbox mod

^^^ Xbox mod

^^^ PS2 mod

One thing of interest one it comes to case mods for consoles is that there aren't many for the PS2. The only one I found was the clear cases. The Xbox seems to be the most physically modded console out of the big three console makers. Just thought that was an interesting little tid bit form my research.

And another thing. In case you didn't notice, there are no pictures of any skinned cases. IMO, skinning a case is cheap and lazy and comes nowhere near close to actually modding the case. Skins are cool, but if you consider that modding, please pull your head out of your ass. In case you are wondering what skinning is, many companies sell adhesive vinyl covers that you can purchse for your PC/console/Ipod/etc. They are slick and easy to use, but in now way to they fall into the moddable category.

If you are looking to skin something, try http://www.decalgirl.com

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:46 am

/paws at computer screen. I want millenium falcon.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:21 am

Like I'm gonna read that :lol: and now its on my Graduation year!!!!

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:24 pm

Reading is your friend.

Btw, does anybody have any recommendations for surround sound systems??? I'm thinking about getting one, but I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can. I've seen some nice 800 watt and 1,000 watt all-in-one systems in the $200 to $300 range. Does anyone have any personal preference for sound systems?

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 pm

I have never really looked into it. I have always wanted a surround sound system.... but never really had a point where I could use one.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:05 pm

My Samsung 30" HDTV and my Xbox 360 are waiting to be exploited by 5.1 surround sound goodiness. There's some 800 watt and 1,000 watt theater systems I am looking at.

My nearest neighbor is about 150 yards away. It will be fun to see if I can keep them up at night.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:56 pm

How can your nearest neighbor be like 150 yards away

bizob

Post by bizob » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:22 pm

If you want good sounding surround sound expect to pay around $300 and that's not digital. the true digital ones cost a bit more. Creative makes a few good systems, so does AltecLansing, Logitech and Klipsch. They all have models in the $200- $300 range that will do you good. Look at the THX one's, I like these.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2654018077

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Thanks Biz, appreciate the help.

Waucod Meesman wrote:How can your nearest neighbor be like 150 yards away

Becaue I live in the middle of f*** nowhere!!! I live in a quiet little town where grass and cows rule the day. The good news is that we have a stop light. The bad news is that it only blinks red. There's no yellow or green on it...

lol

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:09 pm

I would like to live in an area like that for a while... not saying i would like it, but it sounds appealing. I definatly do understand the downside.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:51 pm

The peace and quiet is nice. Technically, we're right on the border of civility and country. OK, that sounds vague, so I'll explain. If you drive to the south or the west you will see businesses, more houses, husing developments, and actual stoplights. If you drive to the north or the east you will see more one lane roads, cows, corn, and the Amish. Within 20 minutes from my house I can go to college, shop at the mall, go see a rock concert, go see some dirt racing, go cow tipping, go to the ghetto, go take some pictures of the Amish, and eat the best wings in the U.S.A at Quaker Steak & Lube.

Where I live is just right. Peace and quiet with all the city hub-bub nearby. I make cracks on my town, but only because it is fun to do. I really wouldn't trade my town for too many other places in this world. Well, the Carolinas would be a nice trade, but I'm too cheap to move... lol

And in good nature of poking fun at my little town (Fowler, OH), I present to you a web site made by one of our own citizens. Take a look through it, it's quite a funny read.

http://www.geocities.com/sunfire95z/fowler/hick.html

Our sister township (Vienna, OH) also has a satirical web site. Check it out too.

http://www.geocities.com/viennaohio/