The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 am

Well, I think similar to WoW they are going for the lower-level of graphics, so that a larger amount of players can play it on low-end computers.

Also though, I believe the game will be implemented for the console.

I'm not a big fan of microtransactions, but if it means the elimination of a monthly fee, then it would make it well... more affordable I guess lol.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 pm

If this comes out for consoles, it will be a commercial failure.

If it's cross-platform (PC, PS3, 360), that'd be an interesting experiment.

As for microtransactions... Well, there's no way they could turn a profit on microstransactions alone. I don't have much of an issue with them though. If you're already paying a monthly fee, that does seem a little shoddy, but I don't know how much I would care. I mean, as long as the microtransactions aren't mandatory purchases, who cares? And done right, I don't think microtransactions would break the immersion (i.e. convert RL currency into in-game currency of some sort with an in-game store).

Tenvik

Post by Tenvik » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Well I believe they might look to put it out cross-platform as well as PC kinda like they did with Final Fantasy Online. It was what they wanted to do with SWG Post NGE but they never did, so it would not be a shock to me if we see this on multi systems.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I would be shocked to see any MMO on the 360, to be honest. There hasn't been one to date that has been successful enough for me to know about it.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Erougn
Captain

Post by Erougn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Apium wrote:I would be shocked to see any MMO on the 360, to be honest. There hasn't been one to date that has been successful enough for me to know about it.

TOR is supposed to be available on the X-Box 360 by summer. The big debate is whether console players will be able to mix with pc players. The current plan is seperate servers.

check G4TV.com for details

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Erougn wrote:
Apium wrote:I would be shocked to see any MMO on the 360, to be honest. There hasn't been one to date that has been successful enough for me to know about it.

TOR is supposed to be available on the X-Box 360 by summer. The big debate is whether console players will be able to mix with pc players. The current plan is seperate servers.

check G4TV.com for details

Given that there have been games released that can be played on PC and 360 simultaneously (i.e. Shadowrun), it can definitely be done. I just wonder if a complex game like a MMO can be done properly on a console. I mean, finding a good RTS on a console is even a stretch.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Here is a new media update:

http://swtor.com/news/article/20081226_001
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:14 pm

In regards to the whole TOR on console issue, AoC was supposed to release on console as well, but currently, there's been nothing said about that. I highly, highly doubt we'll ever see either game on console because of their limitations.

arramen

Post by arramen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Very Awesome, I cant wait.

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Long life to SWG that's what I can say. I won't ever leave this game again. Was a mistake.

P.S. I know I've said EVER lol

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 pm

I don't have a problem with micro transactions as long as I can play the game fine without having to spend more than $15 a month.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 am

i'll be joining the republic. XD

i don't know what class.....jedi is damn tempting, considering i haven't touched the lightsaber in SWG.
Apathy is Death.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm not going to lie, the temptation to be a glowbat wielder is very big. On the other hand, I have loyalty to being a Smuggler...hmmm...

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 pm

and the fact there's both light and dark side, regardless of the side you CHOOSE to be on...it's going to be great game.
Apathy is Death.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Ok, it's decided. Kio, I'm taking you on as my Padawan Learner.

We shall form a new Jedi faction and call it, the "Progressive Evolving Exercise," or PEE for short. As we PEE together will not be restrained by shackles but shall let the Force flow freely within us, amongst us, and around those who come in contact with us.