The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:14 pm

We won't go into my opinions on rally racing...

By dirt track I mean 3/8 mile or 1/2 mile oval dirt tracks. They usually race stock cars, sprint cars, late models, midget sprints, modifieds, e-mods, and a whole bunch of other types of race cars. It's the most exciting and closest racing you'll ever see. And for the price, you can't beat the bargain either.

http://www.sharonspeedway.com

That's our local dirt track that is about 5 minutes from my house. I usually head out there a few times a year and have some fun (and get really dirty). If anyone is ever passing through and wants to catch a race, shoot me an e-mail.

Supposedly, the family that owns the local dirt track (Dave Blaney and his family (he is driving the no. 22 Caterpillar Dodge this year)) are buying up land so they can possibly build a 3/4 mile indoow race track.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:21 pm

I can see one of those events being fun when you are actually there, but it doesn't seem like much fun watching it on a tv.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Once you see it in person, you know what is actually happening on TV. You see it in person and you understand what it is like to drive with 42 other cars inches from each other at 190MPH. One little screw up and 5, 10, 15, or even 20 cars might be taken out.

You watch it on TV and you think, "Ehh, that bump didn't look that bad." But when you know what actually happened, you realize how incredible the bump actually was.

There's a lot of people who don't realize how spectacular the sport of racing is. If you really want to see people get their eye opener, watch one of the NBC pre-race shows. They usually do a ride-along during the pre-race where some celebrity rides with Walley Dalenbach around for a few laps. The expressions on the faces of these people are priceless as they have no clue how fast and on the edge of out of control the cars really are.

My parents and I live by the racing philosophy that once you go to a race, you'll be a friend for life. It happened to my parents and it happened to me.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:11 am

The appeal of the sport is to see people crash? O_o;

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:50 pm

To some people, yes. To others, it's the thrill of going fast. Everyone has their own preferences for loving the sport. I just love a good race where there is lots of passing, clean driving, and a lot of excitement.

The Daytona 500 and its qualifying races will definitely be exciting, though I am not a fan of races there. Daytona is one of those races that is a crap shoot because of the rules package. With all the cars so much alike and the cars running in one big pack (picture 43 cars all seperated by half a second), if someone makes a mistake, there are a lot of cars that could be taken out. To me that's not racing. You don't need skill to drive at Daytona or Talledega, just a car strong enough to stay in front of the other 42 cars on the track.

Go to a race like Bristol or Richmond and you'll have some fun there. That's where talent and fast cars mean something. Close quarters bumpin and rubbin. That's short track racing at it's best.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Perhaps I will have to go seeone.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:38 pm

It's worth your time and money. And the atmosphere is really freidnly and fun! Plus, how many other sports do you know that you can take coolers full of beer into the event?!?!?!

Gotta love racing!!!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:51 pm

I doubt that would fly here :p

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 pm

Seriously, I know at almost all NASCAR tracks and my local dirt track, you can take coolers up to 10 inches into the track... And they can be full of as many beer cans as you can fit in there. Since I'm not a beer fan, we usually stock them with Pepsi and water.

Pepsi ftw!!!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Well I have no idea where any local race track is around here in Toronto... so I have no clue.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:14 pm

You have to have one that's close, because I know CASCAR exists up there in Canada. It's the Canadian Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, NASCAR's Canadian sister. I haven't heard much about that organization lately, but I don't follow much outside of NASCAR. I do know that F1 has an event in Montreal. The CART series races right in the streets and they have an event in Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton. These cars are faster than NASCAR cars, but, you won't see the competition that NASCAR offers. Of course, to each race fan, their own.
Last edited by Kurke_Aumea on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

I have been to the Molson Indy quite a few times in Toronto... but that is about it

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Yeah, CART is an entirely different atmosphere than stock car racing. CART (and F1 and IRL) are more up-scale and higher class. NASCAR has its roots in runnin' shine in the southern U.S. NASCAR was a real redneck sport in its younger days, but is more generalized nowadays. The two racing series are completely different worlds though. One is built around Toyotas, Hondas, Ferraris, and other high-class makes that you can't pronounce. NASCAR is made up of the Big 3 (currently. Toyota enters in 2007) and its been that way for decades.

You go to a CART or F1 race and you see limos and a lot of champagne. You go to a NASCAR race and you see overweight drunk guys without shirts, girls flashing their hooters, more beer than a weekend at Oktoberfest, and a LOT of tailgating. What's really cool is you'll often see drivers and crew members hanging out with the fans just having fun.

I know my parents went to a Richmond race one year. They took a bus down with like 20 other couples. The bottom of the bus was loaded with case after case of hard liquor and beer. Since there were so many of them, the hotel gave them a whole floor and one of those hospitality rooms too. They can remember a few pit crew members from some of the Busch series teams playing poker and drinking with them the night before their race. Trying changing four tires and putting in 22 gallons of gas in under 16 seconds when you have a hangover... lol

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 pm

I'd rather see highclass cars rather than the big 3 race, but that aside i know the point you are trying to make.

To be honest, I'd rather go watch a game of Hockey over it all though.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm

Lol, typical Canadian. :P Hockey's overrated... Of course, so is basketball and baseball. :twisted:

And about the Big 3, the only theing on those cars that makes them a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge is the emblem decal on the front of the car. As far as F1, CART, and IRL are concerned, the car makes in those series just fork over cash for R&D.