The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:28 am

Microtransactions would be better than paying for a chance to get the item you want (i.e. - TCG)

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:19 pm

As soon as swtor launches I'm creating a toon with the name Lexx Yovel and then auctioning that toon on ebay.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Lol, thanks!

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Bovive wrote:As soon as swtor launches I'm creating a toon with the name Lexx Yovel and then auctioning that toon on ebay.

And you will get $4.63 before taxes... lol

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:03 am

So is there any speculation as to how outrageously high the specs for this game will be?

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:12 am

Well I'll create one on each server and sell them all then! Ya know I was thinking about system requirements on swtor and obviously it is going to be more than SWG. So that actually will probably keep me in SWG as well as SWTOR. At home I'll play SWTOR on my nice gaming rig. But when I am at work on my old Lappy 286 I probably won't be able to run SWTOR, so prolly be playing SWG instead.

Corvallon

Post by Corvallon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:04 am

Waucod Meesman wrote:So is there any speculation as to how outrageously high the specs for this game will be?

It's looking pretty rich like Vanguard. Mid to high-end system me thinks. SOE has done a great job cleaning up Vanguard and making it more machine friendly. TOR will be optomized..I hope.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:18 am

Waucod Meesman wrote:So is there any speculation as to how outrageously high the specs for this game will be?

They are going to be pretty low actually. Another reason Bioware is using stylized graphics is to allow people with shoddy computers to play the game. Its really hard to compare any game to SWG because SWG has terrible server lag. I'm expecting the specs to be a little higher than WoW. Stylized graphics don't really age like picture graphics, but there are still some pretty ghetto texture maps in WoW that I hope will not be seen in SWTOR.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:35 pm

And character customization similar to that of SWG?

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:And character customization similar to that of SWG?

I don't think so. I can't remember the reason they gave, but they aren't going for the in-depth slider customization that SWG uses. I'm hoping for character customization somewhere inbetween SWG and WoW; I think SWG may have been a bit too much for me.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm

While the character customization was one of the beautiful things about SWG, it nothing good for graphic cards... lol

In all honesty, I would give up some of that customization for a broader choice of species. What is SWG up to, 10? Given the amount of species we've seen in movies, I'd love to have more choices. Instead of SWG's original 30 professions, you could of had 30 species to choose from and 6 professions.

But to be fair, SWG still has one of the most amazing graphic engines of many of the games out there. Given the fact that the game is over five years old, the graphics engine has held up reasonably well. The only thing the engine really didn't do to well was vegetation and characters. Vegetation is always a tough one to pull off and nowadays it is being done pretty decently. Characters are always tricky in games like MMOs. And given that everybody of a particular species always had the same overall features, the amount of customization baffled me... I mean, the only distinguishing difference was heigh and weight. Most faces on characters look the same (some had facial hair, wacky hair, or spikes coming out of their heads). Why they didn't make character creation a little more template based is beyond me.

But despite all this, server lag has always been a bitch... Don't know why, but it always has been.

Here's to hoping that Bioware get's it right.

Erougn
Captain

Post by Erougn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 pm

I remember reading that functionality on an older system was key in the design for TOR. Whether the graphics on a high end system are much better is debatable. I've seen the gameplay movies, and tbh it looks like playstation 2 graffix. Although it is cool that you can see actual lightsaber moves, I see a trend towards calling mediocre graphics "stylized".

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

I heard that there will be Ninja Ewoks in SWTOR

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:51 am

Bovive wrote:I heard that there will be Ninja Ewoks in SWTOR

that would be awesome. You, my friend, should be a game designer or something.

Kalice- Master Architect

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 am

I got some concept art:

Oh wait no, that was the retarded ewok concept art...