The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Actually I am know a great deal about history and its pretty easy...

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:Actually I am know a great deal about history and its pretty easy...

Gotta love that argument...

:roll:

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I'm going to have to side with Kurke on this one. There is a massive amount of material, and that is only one half of being a history major. The other half is being able to analyze that history. That is to study not only the facts, but also the pyschology of the people and the underlying trends/reasons that may have caused certain events to happen as they did.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Well Kurke what grade area is she looking to teach?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:24 am

Waucod Meesman wrote:Well Kurke what grade area is she looking to teach?

She's looking for high school, but can teach I think 6th through 12th grades. She just interviewed fora job at a charter school for 4th through 8th grade and she wasn't sure how she'd handle the kiddies. She can teach college courses, but only at colleges that don't require PhD's like a community college. Last fall she taught at an "academy" school (think charter school, but for the best of the best high school students). She was long term subbing for a teacher who was serving in Iraq and receiving cancer treatment. After watching her make lesson plans and listening to her describe what went into the course, I was quickly "schooled" on how difficult history is.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:53 pm

right... I really can't argue about anything that is above my 8th grade Honors US History education but as far as I am concerned, so far history seems easy

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:right... I really can't argue about anything that is above my 8th grade Honors US History education but as far as I am concerned, so far history seems easy

Any history class in the U.S. publice educational system teaches a very broad form of histry. It's one of those "if you get the gist of it, you're good" kind of systems. To major or master in history just requires you to know a lot more than you really care to know.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:
Waucod Meesman wrote:right... I really can't argue about anything that is above my 8th grade Honors US History education but as far as I am concerned, so far history seems easy

Any history class in the U.S. publice educational system teaches a very broad form of histry. It's one of those "if you get the gist of it, you're good" kind of systems. To major or master in history just requires you to know a lot more than you really care to know.

not when you start taking the AP level history courses. They are on par with college level classes.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:15 pm

On par with non-major-specific courses, yes. AP classes in HS still have nothing on upper division history classes. And by no means am I saying AP courses are cake-walk courses. I've seen the course material my fiance had to come up with for the AP classes she taught. Yeah, I was happy being a simpleton... lol

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:17 pm

actually, my sister who really been great at history got her only A's of the year in Chorus and History, yes it was AP.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:11 pm

Good for her?

Out of curiosity, how far did you all get in your history classes in junior high and high school? I'm curious if Ohio's education system is as pathetic as I truly believe it is. For example, I don't think any of my history classes in high school ever really got past WWII and the Korean War. And what we did cover from those decades, it was brief at best...

Sad... I know...

Thank god for the Histroy Channel. Without that, I'd be history retarded...

Derine

Post by Derine » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi o'm Derin and i'm looking to join RID.. How is everyone?

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:13 am

Well the three main users on the GAT Thread, me Kurke and Apium now longer play SWG but we still hang around here cause we have no life. I'm only 14 and haven't played for 2 years so I have even less of a life.

And Kurke going back to History we pretty much finished the book except for the late 1800's cause my History teacher didn't think we needed to waste our time on something so stupid and boring.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:Good for her?

Out of curiosity, how far did you all get in your history classes in junior high and high school? I'm curious if Ohio's education system is as pathetic as I truly believe it is. For example, I don't think any of my history classes in high school ever really got past WWII and the Korean War. And what we did cover from those decades, it was brief at best...

Sad... I know...

In World History we spent most of the semester in the times between and including the Dawn of Civilization and the Renassiance. And we covered 1600-WWII in about 3 days. The only history in Civics and Economics was the political birth of the US, the consitution and such. As well as some economic history. In AP US History we covered the founding of the colonies to 2003. Once again the World Wars were kind of skimmed over because they are covered in pretty much every history class. I think we spent about a semester on 1776 to about 1900 and another semester on 1900 to 2003.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Apium wrote:
Kurke_Aumea wrote:Good for her?

Sad... I know...

In World History we spent most of the semester in the times between and including the Dawn of Civilization and the Renassiance. And we covered 1600-WWII in about 3 days. The only history in Civics and Economics was the political birth of the US, the consitution and such. As well as some economic history. In AP US History we covered the founding of the colonies to 2003. Once again the World Wars were kind of skimmed over because they are covered in pretty much every history class. I think we spent about a semester on 1776 to about 1900 and another semester on 1900 to 2003.

On that note, don't send your kids to an Ohio public school...