The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:38 pm

telemchus wrote:IMO the further back they push the license age, the worse the drivers that come of the proper age would be. Its been proven that absorbancy (in terms of knowlege) dilapitates with age, therefore the test should not be brought to a new age. Another point is that age isnt the factor that determines how good of a driver you are, a 16 year old who has never had a drink or drug in their life is a more reliable driver than a 37 year old who drinks and smokes on a regular basis, DUIs are, after all, not instantly issued the instand one steps foot into their car.

This has been another of Tele's possibly inadequate arguments about a point in which he is very poorly educated. Tune in next week for Tele vs. Mecha Godzilla, who will pull through in the end?

QFE

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:14 pm

What is QFE? I see it everywhere?

Though I agree that it is mostly people under 21 that cause most accidents, I don't believe you can blame it on the fact that they like to take risks, but rather their lack of experience of driving. Raising the driving after to 18 would not eliminate that lack of experience.

Requiring driving school does help however. I am not sure on the exact statistics for people with driving school experience, but I know the number of accidents is MUCH MUCH lower.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:24 pm

QFE=Quoted for Emphasis

And I think when you reach 60 years of age, you need another driving test.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Leviathen wrote:What is QFE? I see it everywhere?

Though I agree that it is mostly people under 21 that cause most accidents, I don't believe you can blame it on the fact that they like to take risks, but rather their lack of experience of driving. Raising the driving after to 18 would not eliminate that lack of experience.

Requiring driving school does help however. I am not sure on the exact statistics for people with driving school experience, but I know the number of accidents is MUCH MUCH lower.

I'm not saying they like to take risks, but they don't understand the risks they take. For instane, they don't judge distance right. This is especially true when compared to an older person. I won't deny it though, experience helps. I live in Ohio and we have some of the easiest methods for getting a license.

You have to be 15 1/2 to get a permit (whih I think is BS) and all you have to do is pass a simple test. You only have to have a permit for 6 months and to getyour license, all you have to do is pass a siple maneuvrability test and driving test (go out of a parking lot, turn left, drive around the block, and park the car). It's so friggin easy, it's sad.

I still think the age should be raised to 18. If not raised, then make it harder to get a license. I'm also a fan of mandatory driving tests every 5 years for EVERYONE. Not just kids and not just senior citizens. Let me clue you, there's a lt of a-hole drivers out there who aren't just kids or seniors. I mean, you get your license at 16 and never have to retake the test ever again unless you lose your license or forget to renew it. Yeah, that really keeps your skills in check...

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:12 pm

I really like Ontario's system.

16: You have to take a written test to get a learners permit. Have to have someone who has 4 years of driving experience in the car, no highways, all that jazz. At this point there are HUGE incentives to take driving school.

8-12 months later(depeding whether you took driving school or not): A road test, which has a 50% fail rate, must be passed in order to obtain a 'g2', which is like halfway inbetween a learners and a full license.

12 months after that: You must take an even harder road test in order to get your full license. At 80 you have to start taking tests again.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:17 pm

Yeah, it's so easy to get a license in Ohio, it's not even funny. If you're over 18, all you have to do is pass the driving and maneuverability tests. You pass, you get it. I'm not even sure they do background checks... that might vae changed though since 9/11 (I got my licese before then).

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:20 pm

I know a couple of people who have crossed the border to get american licenses since they are valid here.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:03 pm

i bet youd be against it too if you were in the age group :?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Dude, I was in your age group once. I still thought teens getting licenses was retarded. If you want a scary fact, here's one for you. In each graduating class from my high school, at least one person will die from a car accident. I can't recall a class to which this hasn't happened to. (Mind you these are all classes of between 60 and 80 people) Also, my one time best friend almost died in a car accident because she was speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. Teens tend to have this, "it can't happen to me attitude." Guess what, it does.

Too many teenagers have died or been injured in car accidents because they are simply careless. Yes, more experience will help them. But, when they can get a license with so much ease, it really defeats the purpose. My solution: Raise the legal age to 18 or make it more difficult to get a license and permit. If you are a teenager and don't like it, tough. You're under 18 anyways, thus you have no rights. Yes, I'm cruel but so is life.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:13 am

I am in the age group.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Congratulations to the OSU Buckeyes!!!!

2006 Fiesta Bowl Champions!!!!

That's three Fiesta Bowl wins in four years!!!!!!!

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:03 pm

fiestas pwn

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:38 pm

Let ne guess Kurke the only reason you know that is cause they said it like 50 million times after the game FSU is gonna get killed tommorow unfortunately.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Dude, I've watched them win each of those bowl games. (OSU vs. Miami for the BCS chamionship is easily the best NCAA game ever) I also watched Jim Tressel coach the Youngstown State University Penquins (A school I am now proud to attend) to three NCAA 1AA championships in the mid 90's. Please don't assume I'm some band wagon fan rattling off some stat I was on TV. If you want to see some bandwagon fan, check out the Notre Dame "fans" behind the ABC commentators waving their fingers with the #1 after they lost the game. Those people are bandwagon fans.

And yes, FSU is gonna get their butt's whooped by Penn State, but I have a feeling it will be a closer game than everyone thinks. I am hoping that Texas puts the hurt on USC. IMO, USC is the most overrated team to come out of NCAA football in a long time.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:12 am

wow, I totally lost what is going on now