The GAT Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:49 am

Well, the case does have 5 fans itself. Two 80mm in the front, one 80mm in the side, one 80mm in the top, and one 120mm in the back. Mind you, that doesn't count the PSU fan. The 120mm fan moves almost 90cfm (cubic feet per minute). The two 80mm fans that come with the case move about 30cfm. I am buyng two extra 80mm fans that push almost 40cfm. So, if I take the 40cfm fans and one of the 30cfm fans and use them for intake I will get about 105cfm to 110cfm of air intake. I'll point the 120mm and the 80mm in the top of the case out and make them exhaust fans. Those two should pull about 120cfm out of the case. That should make for some pretty good airflow through the case. That isn't counting the PSU fan either. Mind you, all of my case fans have blue LEDs in them, so the thing should glow pretty nicely in the dark.

I'm also putting a giant Zalman heatsink/fan on my Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo which should keep it pretty darn cool. I'm half tempted to go wth the next model up on the Zalman. The model I have picked out has a 80mm fan, but the next size up has a 120mm fan which works quite well from what I hear.

There's not much more I can do about the 8800GTS cards as I really don't feel like ripping off the stock heatsink/fan and replacing it. (doing it on a CPU is one thing, but a video card... nahhh...) If the thing is overheating like crazy, I can always stick in a PCI fan exhaust that sucks air out through an open PCI port.

Right now I am sitting right under $1,500. Of course, that does include a System Builders copy of Windows Vista Home Premium (OEM). Basically, its the same kind of Windows that Dell or HP would use to pre-install on your new computer. Since I am building this for myself (as a system builder), I can get it for pratically half off the retail version. The only difference is that the OEM version is just the Vista dis wrapped in plastic. The retail version comes with fancy manuals and all the bells and whistles.

I'm pretty content with the prce at the moment (the rig should last me for quite some time without upgrading [of course, SLI is so tempting!!!]), I'm just curious what the shipping cost is going to be...

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:26 am

I'm jealous Kurke, I really want to upgrade my PC, but I need to save up all my money for University next year -_-;

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 am

yeah Kurke has all that extra moolah because he still lives with his mom lol... I'm jk as long as you move out before 30 you'll be fine.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:yeah Kurke has all that extra moolah because he still lives with his mom lol... I'm jk as long as you move out before 30 you'll be fine.

Having few expenses and most of my college loans in my parents' names is a wonderful thing. You might get made fun of for living at home during college, but it beats the hell out of nickle and diming yourself to death because you just HAD to get away from your parents. Let's be honest, most of us have pretty reasonable parents who care about us. Unless they are kicking you out when you turn 18, live there till you know you can afford to move out.

Ill probably be moved out by the second half of August. My girlfriend should be able to graduate with her masters degree on my birthday, August 15. When she does, she'll be able to move down here. So, unless we have some insane dfficulty finding a place to stay, me and my gf will be living happily together by ourselves by September. It's gonna be a busy summer...

By the way, use your loans to pay for college and then use your peronal money for personal expenses like a computer. That way, when you go to pay back the loans you are only paying back your education money. That is, of course, assuming you have enough loan money to oer tuition osts. Also, whatever money from your loans that you don't spend, be sure to store it some place safe or invest it. I love my gf with all my heart, but the girl knows how to blow loan money like a pro... :roll:

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:53 pm

its too bad i dont live close enough to any of the universities i want to attend to commute. All of them are at least an hour.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:52 pm

There is nothing wrong with living with your parents while you are in college. I won't be, mainly because the colleges I'm considering now are the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of Chicago, which are 3 and 16 hours away from me, respectively. Assuming I get into medical school the loans won't be a problem, on the rare chance that no medical school in the nation will accept me, I'm fucked.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Dragonus

Post by Dragonus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:22 pm

well living in nyc i guess i will live with my parents for a couple more years =D, i am really thinking of moving to spain and going to college there but then it will mean i am on my own and thats not a good thing :shock: :shock:

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:44 pm

lol I already have my hands on a 2 scholarships lol... YAY ME!!!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:45 pm

I just got accepted into a university! :) my first acceptance! I applied to five programs throughout Ontario, we'll see what happens with the other four. I quite happy right now.

If anyone knows it its McMaster University in Hamilton.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 am

Congrats!

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:41 am

Thank you :)

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 pm

Well, I purchased all of my computer parts the other night and they should be here by tomorrow. The only bad thing is that I'm driving up to see my girlfriend tomorrow night, so I don't get to play... Oh well, there's always Sunday. Most of the parts are the same as I listed earlier, but I did change a few things. I got a good deal on a 8800GTS 640MB card, so that is going in my box instead of the dumbed down 320MB version.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:10 pm

so what are you doing with your current computer?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:24 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:so what are you doing with your current computer?

Not sure yet. I might be able to talk my mom into buying it, but I don't really know for sure. I definitely want to sell it for a couple hundred bucks or so as I'd like to recover some of the cost of the new computer.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:02 pm

what are the specs of your computer?

/wants to purchase haha