Artists and Programmers?

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

SkyeLine

Post by SkyeLine » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I can always help out with that. If there is anything I've figured out on the job a second programmer always finds the easy answers that one overcomplicates.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

SkyeLine wrote:I can always help out with that. If there is anything I've figured out on the job a second programmer always finds the easy answers that one overcomplicates.

Are you fluent in PHP, Javascript or Smarty?

SkyeLine

Post by SkyeLine » Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 am

I am decent with php and I learnt a lot of Javascript. Smarty I have not worked with but from what I've seen it looks like a mix of Python and C++ pointer hell.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 pm

I find smarty to be a lot like php but rather awkward to work with.

SkyeLine

Post by SkyeLine » Wed May 06, 2009 10:14 am

It's a pointer thing I'd assume. They get messy.

I think of it like one of those Alice in Wonderland signs you know, this way! no this way! no that way! no this way!

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 am

Bovive wrote:
Mikal wrote:Well, as far as the "genre" of WWII, some might say it has been overdone in the gaming industry. Truth be told, it has been done so much because it is very popular among gamers. The art design is made easier due to so much reference material that is available. If you decide that you need some input or feedback on your ideas, or some general ideas artwise, give me a holler at bofromkentwood@yahoo.com. It's easier to reach me there because I'm not so much a forum whore anymore, been working on my truck and when not doing that or gaming I'm doing my 3D modeling (Now just to actually finish one of the 50 or so models I have floating around on my comp hehe)

Thanks for the input Mikal. I'm still pondering in my head how the design would come together. Honestly I'm not even sure I would be good enough to program it. Meditate on this I will :)

Would it be just like Mobsters? Or more like Travian? (www.travian.us) Check that game out (you won't get far unless you catch a server that just restarted...it's all about guilding up for the endgame). It is a pretty good idea, would hate to try and code that though, it is VERY complex for a non-action browser game. Non-action being you don't have any animations.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Probably more like Travian

Mikal
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mikal » Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Ok, if you can shoot me a synopsis of the types of things you want in it, I can see if I can make some matching graphics for ya.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Fri May 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Putting it on the back burner atm. I did some research and the market is flooded with similar games. Until I can come up with something unique I'm gonna hold off.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Sat May 23, 2009 5:11 am

Did some checking around and there is a WWII one already called WWII Warfare. Did some more checking however and there are some open source browser game code packages available. Gonna see how that works.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Sat May 23, 2009 6:33 am

What if it was sort of like X-COM? You could research and whatnot. Minus the actual turn-based combat that is. Not sure how the pvp would work though, or perhaps it could be more single player based to start.

Urkan

Post by Urkan » Sun May 24, 2009 2:42 pm

i'm a programmer. I'm a little busy atm but i can help if you have any questions.

I have 11 years of experience as a programmer. including 6 years of Microsoft .net framework (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5). I'm also an Oracle DBA, i have 11 certifications ranging from version 5.3.4 to 10g. I also have a little bit of experience on PHP and mysql but it was a long while ago.

feel free to ask any questions you want concerning those technologies and i will do my best.