The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:42 pm

This is excellent news. Does this mean a Q1 or Q2 2010 release date???

So yeah, trying to sign up for the beta test. finally got the form to go through and am getting caught up on the system scan... Someone in the SWTOR forums said that after they got Vista SP1 installed, they could finally scan their PC... I've been at this for over a year and still can't get Vista SP1 to install... It gets to 100% of Step 3 of 3 and then says service pack failed to install and it reverts the changes... I've tried all my driveres, disabling anti-virus, and a bunch of other things...

So, if I can't get it to install this weekend, I'm going to image my PC and format and reinstall... and if that don't work, Windows 7 comes out on the 22nd!

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Kurke_Aumea wrote:This is excellent news. Does this mean a Q1 or Q2 2010 release date???

So yeah, trying to sign up for the beta test. finally got the form to go through and am getting caught up on the system scan... Someone in the SWTOR forums said that after they got Vista SP1 installed, they could finally scan their PC... I've been at this for over a year and still can't get Vista SP1 to install... It gets to 100% of Step 3 of 3 and then says service pack failed to install and it reverts the changes... I've tried all my driveres, disabling anti-virus, and a bunch of other things...

So, if I can't get it to install this weekend, I'm going to image my PC and format and reinstall... and if that don't work, Windows 7 comes out on the 22nd!

It's slated for Q4 2010, unfortunately. It could also be pushed back even further.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:33 pm

If neither BioWare, EA, nor LEC release a date, it's speculation. Yes, even sites like GameStop or Best Buy don't know the slated release date.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Arev wrote:If neither BioWare, EA, nor LEC release a date, it's speculation. Yes, even sites like GameStop or Best Buy don't know the slated release date.

I'm with Arev.

On the plus side, I GOT SP1 INSTALLED!!! Finally!!! lol Only took me like 1 1/2 years... damn Vista... Hooray for inplace-upgrades that replace all of the system files!

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Arev wrote:If neither BioWare, EA, nor LEC release a date, it's speculation. Yes, even sites like GameStop or Best Buy don't know the slated release date.

I meant to say speculated release, someone claims that they got info from lucasarts on release, but it could me a load of mumbo jumbo.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:46 pm

sounds fun... any new info on the game itself?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Waucod Meesman wrote:sounds fun... any new info on the game itself?

Have you visited the main website?

http://www.swtor.com

Aside from Friday updates or the random interview for a gaming magazine, they haven't said too much since they revealed Coruscant as a playable planet. All that means they're due for a new reveal. Probably another planet or new class.

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 am

they are starting beta testing sign up now for a chance to play and test out the game , i did a computer test and had to install java to make it work.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090929_001
Has seen lexx's sabre and it was glowing pink............again

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm

I can't get the scan to work either. I've been trying for about a week. Maybe it will work on Firefox, IE is always giving me some form of grief.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

auren
Warrant Officer II

Post by auren » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm

Apium wrote:I can't get the scan to work either. I've been trying for about a week. Maybe it will work on Firefox, IE is always giving me some form of grief.

get new version of the java thng
Has seen lexx's sabre and it was glowing pink............again

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Apium wrote:I can't get the scan to work either. I've been trying for about a week. Maybe it will work on Firefox, IE is always giving me some form of grief.

What version of Windows do you have? It wouldn't scan my PC either until I upgraded my version of Windows Vista to Service Pack 1 (and SP2 just as a bonus after that).

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Kurke why would I come here if I wanted to check that website... this is like the only thread I really even look at now.

Redaxe
Warrant Officer I

Post by Redaxe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 am

Does anyone think this will be laggy like swg? If it's not laggy for me I will definitely be playing it.. Also look up a game called APB it's an MMO scheduled for release in Spring of 2010. It looks bad ass!

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Redaxe wrote:Does anyone think this will be laggy like swg? If it's not laggy for me I will definitely be playing it.. Also look up a game called APB it's an MMO scheduled for release in Spring of 2010. It looks bad ass!

SWG is laggy because of the high amount of detail in each character. Each character in SWG can be so vastly different, just in facial features, from other characters that your video card spends a lot of time redrawing things and causes bad framerates.

I played LOTOR for a while and it wasn't laggy in any sort of the way like SWG was, mostly because you couldn't make the characters as distinct as in SWG.

From watching all of the videos and listening to the devs talk about SWTOR, I imagine you won't be able to get as crazy with character creation in SWTOR as you could in SWG.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:23 pm

And the number of different items each character can have as well, particle effects and poor, nearly 10-year old coding (from UO2), leads to the massive lag. I mean, given all these variables, you have to give the SWG Devs some slack.