The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:53 am

I kind of want to see Tatooine again, but was anything going on there 3,500 BBY? I mean there was barely anything happening there during the original trilogy.

Because of the focus on storytelling, it would make sense to have Coruscant in the game in some form. It is the political center of the Republic. I know they have the Tython/Korriban contrast going on, but Tython really isn't the Republic equivalent of Korriban.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:00 pm

So what planets and classes have been released as of now?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Planets
Officially: Ord Mantell and Nal Hutta

But from pictures, we know Tython and Korriban will be in the game.

Classes
Officially: Bounty Hunter

Again, from the pictures we know that Jedi will be a class. Folks are figuring on soldier and smuggler classes of some sort as well.

Corvallon

Post by Corvallon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the BH is an Empire only class at this stage.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:39 pm

I was reading through some of the comments to the most recent dev blog about Ord Mantell, and many people seemed strongly opposed to a healing class. Unfortunately, most of those people could barely speak English, and I had trouble understanding what exactly their complaints were. Does anyone here feel like healing classes would be a bad idea? It's not like having healers is completely un-Star Wars like. Jedi healers are pretty common in the lore, and doctors/medics always make for good stories. Without a doubt, if there is a healing class in the game, I will be playing it.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:06 pm

And some people are also against a dedicated crafter class. Frankly, I think those people can go piss off. I think what made SWG great and what made it actually work was the diversity the game offered as compared to other games. I mean, you could go and be the best BH on your server, or you could be the best armorsmith, or you could have been a rifleman who makes his own hardware (you weren't the best rifelman out there, but you had fun and could achieve a small level of self-sufficiency). In SWG, everyone (no matter who played) could find their niche in the galaxy.

And let's face it, one can almost say that the devs almost set out to make SWG fail, but I think it is the diversity of the game that allowed it to thrive and survive as long as it did. I think to not have classes like healers or crafters will be a mistake.

Of course, since this will not be a sandbox style game (like SWG) I doubt a crafting class can be pulled off in a similar manner as SWG (ditto for healers?). I really hope for a crafting class, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Any jedi should be capable of healing themselves, as Bioware had that in the original games. Stimpacks were also alway part of star wars, so they should also be in there. A healer class could be a fun branch off of another profession, but I wouldn't want to see it stand on its own.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:09 pm

OK, why?

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Because in an MMO involving companions, you could just run around with two healers at all times and be practically invincible, unless it's done really well.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:33 pm

I don't know. It is not that hard to balance that game to prevent that. Even in WoW, healers aren't the end all in pvp. DPS/DPS is just as viable as DPS/Healer. Personally, I want to see a dedicated healing class with no offensive abilities at all. However, most people aren't as masochistic in regards to healing as I am.

I kind of want to see Jedi healers in the game, but I'm against giving every class a heal. It is just so difficult to balance classes that way. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes. At this point, they have only revealed one class officially. We know there will be Jedi and Sith, but we know nothing about their class mechanics.

Kalice- Master Architect

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri May 08, 2009 1:47 pm

http://swtor.com/info/classes/trooper#

They announced the Trooper today, not that it is a surprise though.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat May 09, 2009 10:02 am

Some additional reading material:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwars ... ot;title;2

There's some interesting tidbits in there.

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Sat May 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I can't wait to try this game :)

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:09 pm

So has anybody else scene the theatrical trailer yet? Sets up a good bit of story and was well put together.

Bovive
Colonel

Post by Bovive » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:29 am

Waucod Meesman wrote:So has anybody else scene the theatrical trailer yet? Sets up a good bit of story and was well put together.

I enjoyed it. Kinda made me want to be Sith.