Website Opinions #2

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant
Website Opinions #2

Post by Kurke Aumea » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:53 pm

OK, new website for you all to take a gander at. This one is for an archery company that we own a stake in. Their current website can be found at the following address: http://www.whispercreekarchery.com It's someone else's work, so bash away on that one.

Here's the website I've been working on: Click here.

It is supposed to look like their printed product guide. I wasn't too fond of the look at first, but it has grown on me. A few things to take note of:

-Yes, the slogan IS larger than the company name... (I don't know why, but that's how it is...)
-The News and Dealers pages are incomplete (no news or dealers to put there yet)
-The gallery page is supposed to contain images of hunters and their bows, but since I have no images like that, I just made a gallery of all the products for now
-All of the images haven't been optimized yet, so load times may suck depending on your connection speed
-Make sure you check out every item in the menu bar. Every item in there is a link to a page.
-I'm pretty good with spelling, but not perfect
-When you look at the individual bows, notice the change in colors

If I think of anything else that is worth noting, I'll let you know. I also know that the style/coloring of the site may not be what everyone likes, but I'm just following directions on that one. lol On that note, take a look and let me know what you think.
Last edited by Kurke Aumea on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
3134 Posts + Whatever I have now

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:39 pm

I think it looks great. If they're aiming at the "extreme" crowd, it's completely on the mark.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 am

telemchus wrote:I think it looks great. If they're aiming at the "extreme" crowd, it's completely on the mark.

Yeah, the extreme bow hunting crowd. lol

Waucod
Warrant Officer II

Post by Waucod » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:47 pm

yeah the other one looked like something I might do... yours is much better.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:28 pm

One thing you could try doing is putting a picture or something in the right side margin. It looks a bit bare over there, or you could just center the whole thing.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 pm

telemchus wrote:One thing you could try doing is putting a picture or something in the right side margin. It looks a bit bare over there, or you could just center the whole thing.

If you're using Firefox, try Internet Explorer. For some reason I can't get Firefox to center the damn thing... yet.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Yeah, that looks much better

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm

The new version that everyone seems to like more...

http://www.millwoodinc.com/whispercreek2/default.htm

I'm honestly torn between the two versions. Part of the complain of the first one was that it was too simple, so I made this in response. They've both grown on me. Thoughts?

Waucod
Warrant Officer II

Post by Waucod » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:41 pm

they both look fine... well thats to my inexperienced eyes of course...

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Waucod wrote:they both look fine... well thats to my inexperienced eyes of course...

Preference?

Waucod
Warrant Officer II

Post by Waucod » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Kurke Aumea wrote:
Waucod wrote:they both look fine... well thats to my inexperienced eyes of course...

Preference?

haha I like the first one I guess...

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm

I like the first one as well. If you want some critiques, let me know. I used to design web sites for a living before I joined the Army.

Kurke Aumea
First Lieutenant

Post by Kurke Aumea » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Monthigos wrote:I like the first one as well. If you want some critiques, let me know. I used to design web sites for a living before I joined the Army.

Interestingly, the Powers That Be went with the second site as they thought the first one was too simple. I guess the first one just had a style that appeals to me a little more than the second one. Hey, I'm not bow hunter or any kind of hunter for that matter, so what do I know about what hunters want in a website. :-P lol

Either way, both of those sites are better than that thing they have up now...

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:16 am

That's about how it always goes. My old web design boss used to make me do two designs for customers and they almost always picked the design I liked less.