Hoth Instance & More (Summit information)

A place for members to discuss anything pertaining to MMORPG development.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
Hoth Instance & More (Summit information)

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Turns out there will likely be the implementation of a Hoth instance, either as a PvP zone or heroic instance. We'll also be seeing Droid Commander, another housing purge, Meatlump heroic, among other things:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=652811

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=653048

Nothing is certain, but these are the things heard by many individuals from the summit.

EDIT: Added another link with pictures

RettVescan
Staff Sergeant

Post by RettVescan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 pm

HOTH!!! Woohoo! The future is lookin' friggin awesome for SWG. One minor fix to your post Lexx. The meatlump content will be in the form of a mid-level themepark not a heroic. Although the meatlump themepark is supposed to be entertaining for higher levels because its going to have puzzles in it, not just combat. Interesting.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Hoth will be cool, but if they don't follow the movie storyline then why would anyone be on Hoth? Its not just some place you choose to go to. To be honest, I would rather it be a PvP zone. If its a heroic then who will the bosses be? I mean they can't let the imperials kill luke or han or leia. I'd like to see it as a "battlefield" type PvP zone, where there are "games" every hour or so and everyone spawns in at one time.

/ranton
I can't believe they pushed structures trader back even further. Domestics is completely broken and should have gone first. Armoursmiths and Weaponsmiths still make lots of money. I've spent close to 100 million on munitions (armour and weapon crafting) and I know others have also. As an architect I get no return business and absolutely no customization.
/rantoff
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Thyse

Post by Thyse » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 pm

I also hope it's a "battle field" PvP zone.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah, it's a shame for the smugglers and traders. Although there are a lot of things though to look up to at least.

I would be dissapointed if Hoth was just another heroic. To be honest Apium makes a good point. What exactly would be the boss? And how would groups be structured? Would it have to be faction-only groups?

My hope is that it's a cross-server PvP zone, with at least usable turrets. Drivable Snowspeeders and AT-AT's? The Devs will have outdone themselves if they do that. In any case, I'll certainly be happy either way.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:46 pm

well the imperials better win all the damn time if it's hoth. perhaps it'll be like the aftermath of hoth, where there are rebels hiding and stuff. maybe another space zone too, that could be neat. i'd rather see more full-scaled planets like we have in game right now. i'd love to see another Restuss situation, full city pvp is nice.

return business for structures traders: camps *shrug* i buy the shuttle ones anyways.
Apathy is Death.

Lamid

Post by Lamid » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:19 am

Actually... unless the timeline placement of SWG has changed since the first incarnation... It would make sense to add Hoth as a pvp planet...

If I remember correctly the timeframe we're effectively re-enacting (if you were to ignore the over population of jedi, of course), we are during the time following the destruction of the Death Star over Yavin IV, and the construction of the new Death Star hasn't "officially" begun over Endor. The rebel alliance would be on Hoth licking their wounds, so now would be the perfect time for us to have gotten word back from the probe droids sent out to track down and locate the insurgent scum.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Yeah, the Devs acknowledged that Hoth doesn't fit into continuity (as this game is supposed to be between Episodes IV and V), but they mentioned that they will sacrifice continuity in order to deliver a Star Wars experience. To be honest, we do already have mandolorians, clonetroopers, Jedi, Imperial wookie Jedi, etc, so it probably wouldn't hurt much.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:26 pm

No one cared that much about the story anyways. I mean don't get me wrong, the story is a classic, but when people think of star wars they think of the characters, the epic battles between good and evil, and the exotic locales. All in all, pulling Hoth a few years into the past will deliver that Star Wars experience more effectively than most additions they could do (except maybe coruscant, nothing more star wars than that).

Kalice- Master Architect

RettVescan
Staff Sergeant

Post by RettVescan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 pm

I get how people are complaining how it doesn't fit into the timeline of episode 4 to episode 5, but what I don't get why people aren't considering the whole continuity thing like this: Is it so impossible to believe that in the five years this game has been out the timeline wasn't able to progress at all????? I mean why can't the devs just say "oh the timeline has progressed and now we're up to episode 5"?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:15 pm

RettVescan wrote:I get how people are complaining how it doesn't fit into the timeline of episode 4 to episode 5, but what I don't get why people aren't considering the whole continuity thing like this: Is it so impossible to believe that in the five years this game has been out the timeline wasn't able to progress at all????? I mean why can't the devs just say "oh the timeline has progressed and now we're up to episode 5"?

That's true. From what I heard, Empire Strikes Back took place 4 years after A New Hope, so it shouldn't be so hard to believe. I guess the only problem is they'd need to encase Han Solo in carbonite :lol:

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:28 pm

LexxYovel wrote:
RettVescan wrote:I get how people are complaining how it doesn't fit into the timeline of episode 4 to episode 5, but what I don't get why people aren't considering the whole continuity thing like this: Is it so impossible to believe that in the five years this game has been out the timeline wasn't able to progress at all????? I mean why can't the devs just say "oh the timeline has progressed and now we're up to episode 5"?

That's true. From what I heard, Empire Strikes Back took place 4 years after A New Hope, so it shouldn't be so hard to believe. I guess the only problem is they'd need to encase Han Solo in carbonite :lol:

well that isn't until the end of episode V. Rett is right, its completely logical that we could be at the very beginning of episode V. The only real problem is after the battle of hoth, no one (except the viewers) really know where Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and Luke are.

Kalice- Master Architect

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 pm

it should be like an aftermath of the battle of hoth. say a few rebels stayed behind to destroy remaining information, imperials are scouring the area looking for that information.

i'm trying to be optimistic on what they'll do for it storywise.
Apathy is Death.