Question for the Elder Jedi....

A place for members to discuss anything pertaining to MMORPG development.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Aedean
Question for the Elder Jedi....

Post by Aedean » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Is it worth it? My first account was a pre-pub 7 or 9 (whatever the original incarnation of Jedi was) and I've not played it since everything has changed. Is an elder Jedi worth firing up a 2nd account?

I have been playing a commando for ages, and although I love the class, with my piddly heals I find I can't really solo anything.. your comments would be appreciated.

Aedean

Barney

Post by Barney » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 am

Not sure I understand you completely. Are you saying that you have a second account with a Jedi Master that was leveled up to master Jedi already before the NGE? I want to be sure that's what you mean before I talk about the advantages and disadvantages of playing an Elder Jedi

Aedean

Post by Aedean » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:25 pm

I have an ooooooooold Jedi.. one of the old MDef/0044Saber, 4004 Healing, etc. type. I know that it would have to be completely redone in the new format, but what I am wondering is whether with the elder robe and other Jedi greatness that currently exists, whether the char would be effective for soloing?

My commando is great and I enjoy him a great deal for grouping and space, but with his little heals, I find that I'm just too squishy to do much soloing now. I used to easily be able to tank 4 or 5 krayt dragons, but with the changes to things, I get overwhelmed by a couple of CL90 baddies.

I know there are all sorts of things that one can do to increase their combat abilities (sockets, special clothing/armor, buffs, foods, GCW bonuses, etc.. but to be honest.. not only am I pretty ignorant as to them all, I don't want to spend a lot of time prepping before heading off to solo something. If I wanted that, I'd play EQ.. lol

Aedean

Barney

Post by Barney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:49 pm

This is just my opinion, and other Elder Jedi may have other viewpoints.

I've been Jedi on my main character since PATCH 11. I've played this game since 2003, through the CU and NGE, and only been away from this game for a total of 6-7 months in that period of time.

I DO NOT recommend that you try Elder Jedi raw to solo this game. If you want to do a lot of solo playing, I would recommend Spy, which has many advantages for being able to stealth in and out of situations which a Jedi does not have. I especially do not recommend trying to play Elder Jedi without putting in the effort and time it takes to have statted clothing, power-ups, and the higher-level lightsabers and color crystals. Without these things, you are weaker for PVE and will die frequently when you try to do things which a Commando or a BH could do with ease.

We are no longer the Alpha class. The only thing we have going for us, as Elder Jedi, is a tiny tiny small margin of advantage in that our Elder Robes do grant us better constitution and higher health bars, however, our damage output is still dramatically lower than that of a person with a good rifle, therefore it takes a lot longer and sometimes is even impossible for us to damage elite mobs enough to kill them. Sure, we can live forever healing ourselves while we fight it, but we can't damage it enough to kill it off. That's like the whole episode in Pokemon of a battle of Metapod against Metapod. (Two armor cocooned animals that could only make themselves harder, not actually hurt each other).

Since the NGE this game has evolved to group-play experience. Each profession has specific roles they fulfill in those groups. The Jedi now fill the role as melee tank. Tankers, by tradition in video games, are responsible for mob herding. We pull, push, manipulate, the mobs into locations and formations that are best suited for the damage dealers in the group. We harry and distract the harder to kill mobs, holding their aggro and keeping them from attacking the other group members while they take out the smaller stuff. This is a thankless job, many other players ridicule and belittle you for playing jedi, for no real known reason. This is a slightly gimped job, because in the end, you'll find yourself needing groups a lot more than they will ever need you. This is a humble job. We die more than any other profession class in our groups. If you are not able to let go of the ego and pride we once had as Jedi in the old days, of being able to kill everything in our path by ourselves and run entire groups through without them needing to fire a shot, do not play Jedi.

One concept that I have a hard time impressing on returning Veteran players is that this game has changed most dramatically in that the roles each profession plays in the game are more strict. There IS no "best profession" anymore, the Jedi do not out-damage and out-tank all other combat classes anymore. This game has shifted to encourage and in higher-level content, require cooperation and teamwork among players. Groups are absolutely essential to accomplishing things in this game now. If you don't want to play with other people, why are you playing an online MMO in the first place? Go pick up KOTOR and any other 1-person console game and enjoy your solitude. Otherwise, you really are wasting your time in SWG, and you're missing out on fully 1/3 of all the content and game-play in the game by trying to walk through it on your own.

Aedean

Post by Aedean » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks for your feedback. My interest certainly isn't in playing alone, or not grouping.. what's the point in playing a MMORPG by yourself? I too have been in the game for all of the changes, although playing my Commando.. once Jedi was drastically changed, I layed her away, and haven't played her since.

I don't want to be an alpha class, or have the invulnerability we used to, whether it be as a Jedi, Commando, or any of the other classes I enjoyed. My gaming time is sometimes somewhat limited to only an hour, and was just wondering whether my Elder Jedi would give me a few more "quick play" options than my Commando.

Thanks again for the information.. I'll be keeping her mothballed.

Aedean

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:26 pm

There's actually a new dark/light path system coming out soon, so you might want to re-up your jedi and give it a go.