Pun 29 Combat Changes

A place for members to discuss anything pertaining to MMORPG development.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Szul
Pun 29 Combat Changes

Post by Szul » Sat May 20, 2006 6:09 am

Before you burn your respecs... I know some folks have babbled about respecing to Jedi, or this or that... I'd suggest waiting until Pub 29 goes Live and avoid the good chance of being thoroughly pissed. Combat life as we know it is going to change drastically.

Here is a snippet from Helios in reply to the outcry over Jedi "nerfs".
There is nothing really all that stealthy about it. The designers are making balance changes to a wide variety of things to account for the combat changes in general. All profession's abilities had their numbers changed. That goes for damage numbers, how special attack damage is calculated, cooldown timers, heal values, etc. Saberblock was among one of the multitide of ability adjustments that were made. When the designers were testing Jedi they found that saber block was too powerful of an immunity to get 100% of the time. The base chance to deflect ranged shots with saber block has been decreased and can probably be adjusted back upward with expertise points spent in the appropriate trees. At any rate, this is the testing phase and everything is subject to change. The only thing on that list that I can say is outright unintended is the whole "can't attack while moving" bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wildcat92 wrote:
Enhancements: Sabers do more base damage

Nerfs:

1. Force choke does only default attack damage (in live it's high damage)
2. Heal has dropped to 5000 from 6300 and has the same cooldown timer
3. Saberblock is only 75%, same cooldown timer and duration.
4. According to the UI (not in actual effect) Force Run no longer breaks snares.
5. Jedi snares do not affect NPC's.
6. You cannot damage anyone with a lightsaber unless you are standing still.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Helios Titan
-Lead Designer, SWG
"We mortals are but shadows and dust." -Proximo

Can you say "OUCH!!" ??

Takura

Post by Takura » Sat May 20, 2006 9:39 am

"6. You cannot damage anyone with a lightsaber unless you are standing still." - WTF is that?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat May 20, 2006 10:13 am

Takura wrote:"6. You cannot damage anyone with a lightsaber unless you are standing still." - WTF is that?

I don't even play this game anymore and I am scratching my head at that one. I swear, it's almost like the devs are trying to piss people off and make them leave....

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat May 20, 2006 11:34 am

LOL jedis were already easy enough to beat with lightsabers. This just encourages them to use guns more.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Kardath

Post by Kardath » Sat May 20, 2006 12:34 pm

What I can't see is making Everything so hard that you'll need to group just to do most mundane things like hunt for biological resources or take on lower level npc's. From reading the dev feedback threads most things that were doable alone will now force you to be grouped with several people.

This is definately a killer for me because A) I play most times when noone else is around, and B) because I actually prefer to play alone. I'm not big on grouping, I don't have the play style or personality for it.

By force grouping they are basically killing off anyone who doesn't group.

I just can't fathom how this upgrade is going to gain more subscribers than kill them off.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sat May 20, 2006 1:52 pm

yea lvl 25's now feel like lvl 90s non elite. The only thing that is better is pvp.

Kalice- Master Architect

Szul

Post by Szul » Sat May 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Helios has posted a response that the "can't hit unless standing still" issue is "unintended" (ie. a BUG) and "will be fixed".

The mobs are intentionally overpowered right now. They are going to tweak DOWN instead of UP. Common combat tweaking practice that SOE learned from Everquest mistakes.

Ty'e X'lor

Post by Ty'e X'lor » Sun May 21, 2006 1:18 am

YES! YES! IT HAS FINALLY COME! I AM SO HAPPY. SOE has finally b!tch slapped the jedi. You have absolutley no idea how happy this makes me. I hate jedi so damn much.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun May 21, 2006 9:40 am

Ty'e X'lor wrote:YES! YES! IT HAS FINALLY COME! I AM SO HAPPY. SOE has finally b!tch slapped the jedi. You have absolutley no idea how happy this makes me. I hate jedi so damn much.

They are doing this on purpose, so people stop playing jedi. Once enough people respec out of jedi they are going to go back to the old way.

I really don't know but I want to go back to the old way for jedi. I want to get past 0/0/1/1 in combat reflexes lol.

Kalice- Master Architect

Takura

Post by Takura » Sun May 21, 2006 10:56 am

It is kinda funny cuz with all the new changes (changes the vets already had) all the new players are like "wow this is great!" and all the vets are just like yeah.. this is how it used to be.. Pre-CU is gonna be in the next CU :p *prays*

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Sun May 21, 2006 11:40 am

Takura wrote:It is kinda funny cuz with all the new changes (changes the vets already had) all the new players are like "wow this is great!" and all the vets are just like yeah.. this is how it used to be.. Pre-CU is gonna be in the next CU :p *prays*

they are doing a rollback but they dont want anyone to know. Eventually we will be playing the same game we played at launch. Little by little they are bring the old stuff back, but in a new shiny box.

Kalice- Master Architect

Ri'Me

Post by Ri'Me » Mon May 22, 2006 10:17 pm

So what are they gonna do to the other proffessions to bring them down to the jedi's level, which is now at an all time low? What am I supposed to do now, just stand around and let you shoot me?

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri May 26, 2006 6:03 am

Where's the love for traders and entertainers?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Szul

Post by Szul » Fri May 26, 2006 9:59 am

Leviathen wrote:Where's the love for traders and entertainers?

They're not getting nerfed. Can't get any better love than that.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri May 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Ri'Me wrote:So what are they gonna do to the other proffessions to bring them down to the jedi's level, which is now at an all time low? What am I supposed to do now, just stand around and let you shoot me?

nope you use your respec device.

Kalice- Master Architect